My new toy arrived today

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Oh yay,

This is by far the nicest bit of kit I have ever owned, I'd forgotten how nice they feel:

leica-front.jpg

leica-back.jpg

my lenses aren't here yet though so I cant have a proper play:annoyed:

Looking forward to this, now just to get the money together for the kit:eek:

Whisper quiet shutter, beautifully made mechanical precision if you can afford it worth every penny!

Especially twinned with a 35 f1.4 asperical

YOU CRUEL COLD-HEARTED BA$&£RD! I WANT ONE! :LOL: lol i may perhaps be a wittle bit jelous....

new or second-hand? not that it matters, it could survive a nuclear blast!

hope you get some amazing pics out of it. I'm going after a voigtlander (if i can find one).

Well done - they're lovely things! You know this is the start of a slippery slope though don't you? Now you've got the camera you've got to get a lens, or two, or three... :D And Leica glass is expensive... :p You could always get some Voigtlander lenses if your budget is tight, but there'll always be that siren call :love:

where you get it from? Im just wondering because I have seen a few £££ quid difference for the prices of m6's that are in the same condition depending on where you go!

Very nice indeed. They are so very tactile and the contols are as smooth as silk.

I saw someone with leica m8 down by westminster last week who let me play around with it for a while. I cant believe how small the cameras and lens are... he had about 9 lens in a small neat bag including 35mm 1.4 and the 50mm 1.0.... :)

such a pritty camera isnt it, congratz bet you itching to get your hands on some glass

Very nice stuff. Should keep you going until you can move up to a contax. ;);)

Very nice. No matter that I prefer reach and telephoto, I can't believe there's a photographer that wouldn't want a Leica M...

Plus, an M6 is about £1000 cheaper than an M8.... buys a lot of film....

Why oh why, are manufacturers p***ing aroung with micro4/3rds and carbuncle big lenses, when a £500 digital rangefinder [or EVIL] with the thickness and design of a Leica M6 would sell like hot cakes?

For the price, nothing can beat the Contax G1 + 28mm, 50mm and 90 mm. I got the whole set for under 500 quids; and the lens are lovely.

While we are at it; is it better to go for a Leica CL; or a M3 ? Thats what I have to decide this week; so please can I have your views and opinions

I read that its worth going for an M model instead of the CL. The CL was designed by leica but made by minolta? (I think) and some of them have a few issues apparently. Though I can't really compare, I don't own either!

How about you buy both, and give the one you dont want to me:D

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

yeah, thats a good option Alex; but given my penchant for drinking, I dont think my Liver and kidney are worth much these days to raise that kinda cash...ha ha ha

For the price, nothing can beat the Contax G1 + 28mm, 50mm and 90 mm. I got the whole set for under 500 quids; and the lens are lovely.

While we are at it; is it better to go for a Leica CL; or a M3 ? Thats what I have to decide this week; so please can I have your views and opinions

M3 all the way.

Go to a shop that has both in stock. Pick both up feel the shutter and precision of the M3 against the CL and you'll know i'm right :)

Here is my dilemma

CL : small size, modern glass, light meter

M3 / M2: reliable, can take more glasses ( including the collapsibles), legendary. (May be it could turn me into a HCB, who knows..ha ha ha.). The problem is the lack of a lightmeter, so I would have to either carry a separate one ( adding more stuff into the pocket) or buy a M meter (small in size, but possible getting less reliable).

Why couldn't there be a M3 with a built in lightmeter?

After all I've said about Leica's I'd probably go for the M3. Your G1 isn't complete though without a 21mm Biogon. ;)

EDIT.

Forgot to say congrats RAA - that looks well tidy! (y)

Thanks for the advice CT. One more addition to the shopping list ( the biogon)

The hunt is on

What glass have you ordered to go with it ?

There is of course also the 16mm Hologon. Ffordes have one in stock. :LOL:

couldn't find the hologon on the ffordes site. Is it listed with the G lens or somewhere else?

couldn't find the hologon on the ffordes site. Is it listed with the G lens or somewhere else?

Bugger they've sold it it seems. It was in stock very recently for £899 but I spoke to them on the phone and they were willing to sell it for £799. I decided the Canon EF 50mm 1.2L made more sense.
The 16mm is a fixed F8 lens and TTL metering is disabled when it's fitted on a G body. A metering sensor on the front of the camera is employed purely for this lens. The rear of the lens sits so close to the film that light falls off towards the corners and edges. To combat this, the lens comes with a dark centre spot filter which needs 2 stops compensation, so not an easy lens to use, but a fantastic distortion free extreme wide angle lens. It comes with it's own viewfinder of course.

I'm getting this recollection of the G1 needing a modification to take the 21mm Biogon, and a green sticker being in the film chamber if it's been done. Do some research before you dive in.

CLICKY

Absolutely blooming lovely.

Don't forget they did make an f1.0 lens for it too :) lol

If I were buying a film leica, it's the one I'd be getting. I had the chance to try one a couple of weeks ago when i had the Hassy in for service and it IS utterly gorgeous.

Huge congratulations. :)

What glass have you ordered to go with it ?

I've got a 28mm f2, 50mm f1.4 and 75mm f2.5, all CV lenses

I've got to wait a while before I can splash on Leica glass although I'm also tempted by the Zeiss glass.

I shouldn't need anyhting else though for a while, except maybe a 90 but my bank account says otherwise:razz:

Yep - price! :D Used classic M6's are roughly half the price of a used M7.

Pretty much. Plus I'm finding I can cope fairly well on film in manual mode anyway so don't think the extra is worth the money for me

i may not be fully right,,,, but the M6 has more mechanical parts and is pretty much fully functional without a battery (other than light meter) whereas the M7 can only work at 2 shutter speeds without a battery. that can be annoying to some I guess. there isn't too much difference though.

Also, i only use film on fully manual mode! I find it too confusing otherwise. On my praktica (oh lord how can I even mention it on a thread about a leica!) its just got a needle with a 0,+, and - I just get it on zero or a little bit above or below for over/under exposure! I tried using AE mode on a later nikon, just got confused!

Uh, it's a Leica!

But seriously I'm also interested as to why it's so good.
I've never felt one.

Therein lies your answer. I know from your posts on here that you are enthusiastic about all things photographic. You have never handled a film leica? Do try to get your hands on one.

It's a bit like driving around in a BMW only to hop into the seat of a Rolls Royce. It's only the experience that can show you, not words on a PC or in a book. (y)

Back