My new toy...I may be in love!

Edit My Images
No
Here's a clue...

600_box_dvd.jpg

Any idea yet...ok here's another...

600_open_dvd.jpg

Woooo its a Nikon 600/4 AFS II! I was telling my friend I was toying with the idea of getting the Sigma 500 f4.5 and he said if I wanted, I could buy his 600/4 from him when he upgrades to the new VR version. He said it could be a way off yet as nowhere has them in stock, then 2 days later Grays call him to say they have one VR in stock and does he want it!

We picked it up yesterday and that in return meant I could have his old one straight away! So for a couple of hundred pounds more than the Sigma I got this, complete with lens coat and custom lens foot (not shown).

Tis a beast, check it out next to the 200-400 and 70-200 (50" Panny plasma backdrop for scale, excuse the dust lol). The hood has a two stage thing so you don't have to have it extended fully, I;ve shown it here at maximum though for full effect.

600_side_dvd.jpg

Check out the 'monopod foot' that comes with it, its barely the size of the 70-200 foot, looks a bit small on the 600 though :nuts:

Was going to pick up a Lowepro Lens Trekker but they no longer sell them as a new version is out 'at some point'. However, without the body mounted the lens fits in my 200-400 bag so for now that will have to do!

Can't wait for some opportunities to use it now!!

That's a monster! I know nothing about lenses really, but it certainly looks impressive. I'll bet it's heavy too :nuts:

Congratulations - nice bit of kit! (y)

That foot does look a bit short for the lens, but in practice you'll really need a long Arca type plate anyway to balance the beast , so it matters not.

Tis fairly heavy, it weighs about the same as the 200-400 with D3 attached. But I'm used to big glass now so its not as big a step as when I went from the 28-70 to 200-400 lol

I did have a good laugh at the monopod foot! But I have a custom plate for it as well which was made by a friend. Its an Arca style one but with a bit of tweaking done to it :)

Christ on a bike, I can hear baby jesus crying as we speak. That's immense.

I take it the wrap on it is just standard camo wrap, like used when hunting? I used to have some last year for the silencer/barrel of my rifle, it's good stuff. Allthough, i'd be a bit shakey about putting it on a lens like that, with all the adhesive etc...

No adhesive -they're just a stretch fit.;)

Ahhh, gottcha, what a good doo. They look the dogs on them, especially the dark green camo.

Christ on a bike, I can hear baby jesus crying as we speak. That's immense.

I take it the wrap on it is just standard camo wrap, like used when hunting? I used to have some last year for the silencer/barrel of my rifle, it's good stuff. Allthough, i'd be a bit shakey about putting it on a lens like that, with all the adhesive etc...
PMSL :LOL:

As CT says, its just stretched over with no adhesive. Its like a wetsuit for the lens which can be found here.

:)

EDIT: I had the lighter one of my lens because I niitially got it during the autumn. I do prefer the darker colours though so may replace the one for the 200-400. They are great as they stop the lens being cold to the touch in winter and hot to touch in summer, plus they protect your lens from little dinks too.

PMSL :LOL:

As CT says, its just stretched over with no adhesive. Its like a wetsuit for the lens which can be found here.

:)

EDIT: I had the lighter one of my lens because I niitially got it during the autumn. I do prefer the darker colours though so may replace the one for the 200-400. They are great as they stop the lens being cold to the touch in winter and hot to touch in summer, plus they protect your lens from little dinks too.

Yep, I have the forest green one seen on Richard's 600 f4 on my Canon 300 2.8. Fantastic, but expensive..IIRC £60. If you have extenders like I have, they cost an extra £15 for the two Canons 1.4 and 2x

Let us know how you get on with it and also your sessions at the gym :LOL:

I don't have any teleconvertors just yet but my friend who I got the lens from has all 3 so I have access to them. In fact we spent this afternoon adjusting the focus to work with them all (y)

Christ its sharp, even with the 1.7 on :eek:

I'd just about do anything for a lens like that. You lucky, lucky man!!

I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous, I'm not jealous.

Not at all.

Nice bit of kit and congrats on the purchase.

:clap:

Nice one Richard, they take some getting used to but are a cracking bit of kit. I can`t decide wether or not to sell my old one when the new beast arrives.

Wow,

That's a big one.

Look forward to seeing some images with it. How does IQ match up Vs the 200-400?.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks all :)

Wow,

How does IQ match up Vs the 200-400?.
I've done no scientific tests but if I had to guess from shots I've seen from both lenses at their best, I;d say the 600 + a 1.4 is still a tad sharper than the naked 200-400. 600 really is very very sharp indeed. All I've managed to shoot so far (other than foxes in the dark) is a focus chart to adjust the focus lol

if you lose it in the brush how on earth will you find it with that Cammi look:shake:, i suggest you paint it orange :naughty:so you can see the Rudy end of it..... i guess the camera will look like a pimple on a mountain :LOL:

Nice len's who has a longer one :naughty:

Regards Mark.

Thanks all :)

I've done no scientific tests but if I had to guess from shots I've seen from both lenses at their best, I;d say the 600 + a 1.4 is still a tad sharper than the naked 200-400. 600 really is very very sharp indeed. All I've managed to shoot so far (other than foxes in the dark) is a focus chart to adjust the focus lol

Wow,

Being a canon man I have no exp of 200-400 but I believe it is very well rated indeed.

That must make the 600 awesome.:clap::clap:.

Can't wait for some pics, but it is a beast mind.

Rob

Back