My new Website - Handbuilt by me..

That should be Penzance born and bred on the first page, unless you're feeling a little crusty. ;)

The arrow to scroll down isn't prominent enough for someone landing casually - either use a top menu OR the scroll down thing IMO.

Some pictures in the gallery seen when scrolling down protrude through the bottom into the text in the white area below. And that black-white change with a larger font is a little ugly.

I wondered why there is an 'about' tab when you've already tried to tell me 'about you' in the scroll down area of the main page.

Clicking on Portfolio goes nowhere, & since there's only 1 menu item it should go through to that gallery.

Likewise clicking weddings goes nowhere.

It's not *bad* despite the above, but doesn't feel there yet. HTH.

So I soon got tired of using the dedicated Websites for us Photographers, (Tog's), in the end I ended up building my own, please take a look and tell me you think, it's built using Wordpress.
https://cornishconnect.co.uk

I like it but:

When I first went onto it, I was waiting for a background image to load. It didn't so scrolled down to carry on viewing.

You've got 'About Me' and 'About Us' both on the home page, confusing? And when I go onto About Us, you're now offering to build me a website?

Your wedding gallery has lots of shots, but no real portfolio shots IMO.

I'm no expert but a few things for you to think about..

I like it but:

When I first went onto it, I was waiting for a background image to load. It didn't so scrolled down to carry on viewing.

You've got 'About Me' and 'About Us' both on the home page, confusing? And when I go onto About Us, you're now offering to build me a website?

Your wedding gallery has lots of shots, but no real portfolio shots IMO.

I'm no expert but a few things for you to think about..

I hadn't visited the wedding gallery, but yes, I'd agree there are lots of images there that seem to have been taken by a guest but not so many that display your ability as a wedding tog - unless that's your style.

if you want to promote weddings keep it on a separate site.

Brides do not care about your camera on the opening page.

the colours are too 'manly' for most brides.

On your opening page the blurb under your photos has a missing word in the first sentence, a missing space after a comma and down from that the word tho should be "though". I know its pedantic but people make judgements based on little things like that.

Also on your wedding prices page you have your various packages where you detail the shots you will cover but you dont actually document what the bride and groom get in the way of photos i.e. do they get a disc, do they get an album or just prints etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to click on the buy it now type thing at each wedding packages but nothing happens. It doesn't take you anywhere at all. Just letting you know mate.

Yet another award winning photographer lol

Just to add, you might want to consider a better portrait of yourself in your 'about me' page. Maybe you didn't take the shot, but every photo on the site reflects on you and this one is not flattering, even if it's realistic.

Must say it's not working for me, even your web name gives the indication your in Cornwall, not Devon, lot of wasted space with all that at the top home page is mostly black. take a look at this on my 27ins screen capture.
it not very inviting for me, also as many have said above.

webhomepage.JPG

Born and bread ... and buttered? There is a littering of other typos - to be taken seriously, you need a proof reader.

Last edited:
I ended up building my own, please take a look and tell me you think, it's built using Wordpress.

you used wordpress.. how is that hand built by you? writing all the code yourself is handbuilt by you ..

PS it looks like just about every other wordpress photogrpahers website i have seen... sorry but reading the subject line and your post i was expecting more...

There is a littering of other typos - to be taken seriously, you need a proof reader.
Plus, if you're going to write a blog, you need to get someone to proof read your blog articles too. There's only one article there currently, containing less than 100 words, but I found 6 typos.

Last edited:
Back