My new website

Thoughts?
Most immediate thought is the weird layout you've chosen. There's loads of wasted space on the left of the page and I have to scroll over to the right in order to see the thistle photo. Then we've got a big gap between the top and bottom rows and there's also an issue with the thumbnails for the images being all different sizes. Not massively different, just different enough for me to notice.

Speaking of the images, there's a size issue here. As nice as they are, they are far too large. Not only have I've got to maximise my browser window in order to see them but they're just asking to be stolen. I'd say you want a maximum of somewhere between 600 and 750 pixels on the longest side.

My biggest concern would be the way everything is presented. It's basically a web page with a load of photos on. I don't know who you are, why you are doing this, what you want out of it or why I'm looking at them. There needs to be an underlying structure to the site with a gallery space for these images, not just a gallery and nothing else.

Finally there are a few spelling mistakes on your captions and I not overly keen on your signature/watermark. By all means put your name on your work, but don't bother putting the camera on there as well.

Overall I'd say it's not bad for a first attempt but it needs plenty of work. But at least you've got something solid to build from.

As for KayJay's loading issues, it's working fine for me and is very quick.

Perhaps, but every other site I use regularly works. Interesting. I'll try again later.

Yep - the structure is all wrong, you should really nave a hompage which then leads into gallery pages and other pages such as contact page, about me with a bit of info. Then you can always add other pages as you need them.

The images are too big and they load up on the very top of the screen and it doesn`t look balanced.

Takes ages to load here too.. it's not a DNS issue, as it's a subdomain of 110mb (and their main site is working fine) and I'm on sky broadband too.. It kind of loaded, but then gave up. i got a black screen and some non-loaded images. :shrug:

I'm no web genius, but just looking at your source code, you've got the javascript in the wrong place, it should be after the <head> tag, not before the <html> tag. Could that be causing the problem?

works fine for me, just tested on Safari on Apple Mac too away from home.

PS it aint finished yet. It's IE that causes the images to load at the top of the screen Firefox presents it much better :)

Hmm how strange, it worked fine for me on a second load...

Quite basic though, no seperate pages, i.e. an about me page.

A proper contact form would be better also, as you'll end up getting spam publishing your email address like that.

You say it isn't finished, what else do you plan on adding to it?

PS it aint finished yet. It's IE that causes the images to load at the top of the screen Firefox presents it much better :)
I hate to break this to you, but it looks exactly the same in IE and Firefox.

Only difference is the blue borders around the thumbnails. Arrangement and spacing would appear identical, although IE does lift your mailto up a little higher on the page.

What version of IE are you running? This was comparing the two side-by-side in Firefox 3 and IE 7.

IE7, any idea why the image highlights are showing, I have selected black for the link outlines with white if you hover over :)

I have shrunk the images too now. Does this look better or too small now :(

IE7, any idea why the image highlights are showing, I have selected black for the link outlines with white if you hover over :)

I have shrunk the images too now. Does this look better or too small now :(

They`re too small now, what you need is a size that stops people getting a decent print but big enough to see the image properly.

I think it`s been suggested about 650 - 700 on the longest side would be about right.

Yeah, the images need to be bigger, otherwise why have a slideshow? Just show the original images, some of them are almost thumbnail size anyway so it kind of defeats the purpose of having the Lightbox window.

Just a thought Lee, but if you're using Lightroom, why not just create your web gallery in LR, and upload it?

Your layout will a lot neater, and your photos will be a reasonable size to view...

Just a thought Lee, but if you're using Lightroom, why not just create your web gallery in LR, and upload it?

Your layout will a lot neater, and your photos will be a reasonable size to view...

Yea, this is what I do... I just get LR to resize and create thumbs for my simpleviewer galleries - takes no time at all, produces a folder with everything contained. All I do is change a couple of lines in the xml files and stick it up via ftp. Done.

Back