My next exhibition........

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
So, following on from my first little exhibition last year in Chorley, I am excited to announce my next one 'Shadows of the North' at Helmshore Mills Textile Museum near Haslingden in Lancashire.

The exhibition is somewhat bigger (20 pictures), in a much larger venue, perhaps more befitting of the subject matter I photograph which is industrial landscapes and mongy old mills.

The exhibition coincides with the half term period, and runs from 16th February until 1st March 2015 and you will have to pay the regular entrance fee to the museum to see it. No, I don't get a cut of that!

On Saturday 21st February, my friend Graham Dixon of local folk band Trouble at' Mill will be coming down to play a few songs, and he will be bringing along Robb Johnson, another folk singer who I'm told played one of the stages at Glastonbury last year. I'll also be wandering in for a bit to get a few snaps, and to see if anyone is actually interested in looking at my work[emoji1]

View attachment 30667

Good news! It's reinforcing to be granted an exhibition space - anytime, anywhere, almost. People will pass by your pictures and engage with them, or give them just an inattentive glance, and you'll never know mostly, but the pictures are out there, that's all you can do - out there and singing. There could even be a few print sales (orders) but profit-wise not enough to keep you and the cat for a week. But never give in - you're on the road!

...you will have to pay the regular entrance fee to the museum to see it.

A whole £4.00! http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/museums/helmshore-mills-textile-museum.aspx

Good luck with the exhibition. :) I doubt I'll have time to get over to see this show.

As an aside there's a small display of photographs from the mid 20th century of workers at the village weaving mill (now demolished and currently being turned into a housing estate) in our library at the moment. Which reinforces my view that the most important aspect of photography is to document our ever changing world.

Good luck with the exhibition, really enjoy your work it's right up my street and I'd definitely drop in for a look if it was a little closer.

Thanks for your kind words gents!

I'll try and post up some pictures of the exhibition when I go down for a look - it's not a big name gallery, but there again I'm not a big name photographer! However, it is a sizeable museum (with a nice cafe and lots of working machinery and demonstrations) plus the exhibiton space is pretty good so I'm looking forward to seeing my work in there!

:)

Well the exhibition started today, and I got a phone call asking if I had any books for sale - unfortunately I ran out of time to get them done, so I will be taking contact details of those interested and will see what I can do when they are printed. Unfortunately the interested visitor was here for a week from Australia, so that could get expensive to post.

I've not been able to see the exhibition yet as they were late in getting it up but this gives you an idea of what it looks like - both sides (and the ends) of these display walls have the pictures on. This is the first time this space has been used for an exhibition, as the regular exhibition space takes up something like a third of the top floor of the mill - it's waaaay too big for someone like me to fill.

And yes, there are some flying sheep up in the roofspace!

View attachment 30951

A pity you have no books, though. Did you sort out a printer?

So my second exhibition this year has now started at the Queen Street Mill textile museum in Burnley. In fairness, it's less of an 'exhibition' and more of a 'display', but that's maybe splitting hairs? There's no actual end date as there is nothing else booked this year, so I've told the museum to give me a ring when they're sick of looking at them. There's a charge if you want to look round the museum, but entrance to the cafe and shop area where the pictures are up is free so if you're in the area, why not take a look? :)

Shadows of the North at Burnley by Andy, on Flickr

Last edited:
Keep it up. Much better way of getting work out there than anything else.

You should try and link up with/network with some northern art collectives... TENT, NQ Junkbox etc.. Getting a book done, and getting it in Village Books would be a good idea too.

Oh.. some useful things and people to follow on Twitter and perhaps start networking with.

@Paper_Gallery_
@FOPARCollective
@CreativeLancs
@HarrisPreston
@spbhbooks
@balticmill
@northphotouclan
@ImpGalleryPhoto
@sprclldrprjcts
@LeftCoastUK
@ArtRabbit
@caferoyalbooks
@GrundyBlackpool
@NQjunkbox
@Hanover_Project
@photobookclub
@Foam_magazine
@lensculture
@TPGallery
@IRISArtPlatform
@PaulHerrmann
@TheLuckyJotter
@caravangallery
@OpenEyeGallery
@WhitworthArt
@CornerhouseMcr
@PHOTOUCLAN
@RedeyeNetwork
@PrestonParis
@Jonathan_Worth
@americansuburbx
@tent_mcr

Follow those on Twitter and your feed will come alive with some very interesting things that will give you a short cut on the ground work you'll have to do to build a network. Not ALL of it is NW based, but much is. IRIS is one to watch for... always source NW based artists, and good work presented well stands a great chance of getting exhibited in their Etelage exhibitions, which will give a great deal of exposure on the Manchester scene. TENT is worth following too.

Basically that lot on your follow list will probably alert your twitter feed to anything exciting going on in the NW that you can pop along to... have a chat... network... exchange pleasantries and generally get yourself noticed.

Oh.. some useful things and people to follow on Twitter and perhaps start networking with.

@Paper_Gallery_
@FOPARCollective
@CreativeLancs
@HarrisPreston
@spbhbooks
@balticmill
@northphotouclan
@ImpGalleryPhoto
@sprclldrprjcts
@LeftCoastUK
@ArtRabbit
@caferoyalbooks
@GrundyBlackpool
@NQjunkbox
@Hanover_Project
@photobookclub
@Foam_magazine
@lensculture
@TPGallery
@IRISArtPlatform
@PaulHerrmann
@TheLuckyJotter
@caravangallery
@OpenEyeGallery
@WhitworthArt
@CornerhouseMcr
@PHOTOUCLAN
@RedeyeNetwork
@PrestonParis
@Jonathan_Worth
@americansuburbx
@tent_mcr

Follow those on Twitter and your feed will come alive with some very interesting things that will give you a short cut on the ground work you'll have to do to build a network. Not ALL of it is NW based, but much is. IRIS is one to watch for... always source NW based artists, and good work presented well stands a great chance of getting exhibited in their Etelage exhibitions, which will give a great deal of exposure on the Manchester scene. TENT is worth following too.

Basically that lot on your follow list will probably alert your twitter feed to anything exciting going on in the NW that you can pop along to... have a chat... network... exchange pleasantries and generally get yourself noticed.

David, thanks for taking the time to reply with such a useful post, that's incredibly helpful:)

I already follow a few of these people and have corresponded with Paul Herman a few times, I just need to build on some of these relationships. I've also got 90% of a book done in InDesign, which I'll hopefully get finished this year.........

You're welcome.

Back