My Nifty 50 is playing up...

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

A few weeks ago I plugged in my Canon 1.8 50mm II into my 400D body and in Aperture mode and I could only adjust the Aperture value up, to 22 then it wouldn't go down. After a bit of messing around, turning camera on and off and then disconnecting / reconnecting the lens it sorted itself out.

I didn't think any more about it until this morning when I attached my 50mm again but this time the my camera didn't recognise it was there. Just showing "00" where the aperture usually displays on the screen.

It took me 2 or 3 attempts at reseating the lens before it sparked back to life and the camera 'recognised' it was attached.

I've had the lens since May. It's been off and on my camera a few times I guess. I've been very careful with the lens it stays in a bag with the inner cap on when not being used.

I guess initial thoughts could be a contact issue but I promise I haven't touched them.

Anyone got any ideas? Or is it time to get it looked at under warranty?

I haven't had any problems like this with my other lenses so far (touchwood!).

TIA

Mark F

Sounds as if it could be a contact problem, I take it they are clean so have you tried borrowing a lens or putting your lens on someone elses camera?

Does sound like a contact problem, tbh it is a contact problem so ...

You could try rubbing an ink eraser over the contacts. It won't cuse any harm if you're careful. Alternatively use a small drop of lens cleaner on a pad. It may remove anything that's causing poor contact.

Back