My old 911

The problem with buying a tatty Porsche is that you can very quickly be in over your head when, a few years down the line, the engine and gearbox need to be dropped. On my travels i've seen some rubbish 'restorations' that have cost the owner an arm and a leg, then more money to put right. Better to buy the best you can with the money you have, all in my opinion of course.

The problem with buying a tatty Porsche is that you can very quickly be in over your head when, a few years down the line, the engine and gearbox need to be dropped. On my travels i've seen some rubbish 'restorations' that have cost the owner an arm and a leg, then more money to put right. Better to buy the best you can with the money you have, all in my opinion of course.

I would agree with that having restored motor bikes ..... it is easy to spend a fortune with the total cost being more than buying a good example, - especially if you include a cost for the hours of your own time the numbers do not work out

Last edited:

Absolutely. You need to know what you're doing when viewing the car and ideally have it inspected by a Porsche engineer before committing. Having said that, trying to turn any car into an investment is incredibly difficult unless you're in the very high end. And even then, you'll need a bit of luck.

Instead, spend the money on a house extension that you can enjoy and won't leave you stranded at the side of the A40.

But there is nothing like buying a 'super car' for mondeo money. This was bought in 2002 for less money than a vw passat was going for new. I sold it for a few bob more this year. It did cause me financial pain but was an achingly beautiful car which made an awesome noise. I had a little man cry when I drove it onto the trailer to be delivered to its new owner.

But there is nothing like buying a 'super car' for mondeo money. This was bought in 2002 for less money than a vw passat was going for new. I sold it for a few bob more this year. It did cause me financial pain but was an achingly beautiful car which made an awesome noise. I had a little man cry when I drove it onto the trailer to be delivered to its new owner.

More photos...god damnit, More, MORE! :D

Lovely, just lovely

Here are a few more pictures.

This is an example of how not to go about a restoration. It had already gone through one restoration with a well known company, but what they called perfect and my idea of perfect didn't correlate. So I sucked it up and went about finding someone who didn't just settle for good. In fact, the guy I used was worse than I was and the car trimmer was equally as anal. So the first pics are of the amount of work that had to go into getting shut lines, levels etc correct, on a car which had previously placed second at a Ferrari concours. It just goes to show that, if it's shiny and has the right sticker, anything can get a rosette. Anyway, I think we made the best Dino in the UK and if not, the prettiest.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

Last edited:
Here are a few more pictures.

This is an example of how not to go about a restoration. It had already gone through one restoration with a well known company, but what they called perfect and my idea of perfect didn't correlate. So I sucked it up and went about finding someone who didn't just settle for good. In fact, the guy I used was worse than I was and the car trimmer was equally as anal. So the first pics are of the amount of work that had to go into getting shut lines, levels etc correct, on a car which had previously placed second at a Ferrari concours. It just goes to show that, if it's shiny and has the right sticker, anything can get a rosette. Anyway, I think we made the best Dino in the UK and if not, the prettiest.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

no problems with hijacking the thread, that's a wonderful car

Had a love affair with Porsche since I was a kid, from 1987 to 2010 had a 944 Lux, 944 S2, 944 Turbo SE (250bhp), 928 S4 as weekend toys all fabulous cars. My boss is also a fan and has had many 911's but now drives a Macan as his company car but does have a GT3RS for special occasions!

I've been looking at 996's and reading about them, they have got to be very good value for money at £13k to say £15k ...... as a second car

OK a few expensive "repairs" are highlighted but as usual I think that these are over exaggerated

I'm retired and live in France, but if I lived in the UK I would certainly look for a good 996 as I do not think they will ever get to be any better value for money - they can only increase in price

I've been looking at 996's and reading about them, they have got to be very good value for money at £13k to say £15k ...... as a second car

OK a few expensive "repairs" are highlighted but as usual I think that these are over exaggerated

I'm retired and live in France, but if I lived in the UK I would certainly look for a good 996 as I do not think they will ever get to be any better value for money - they can only increase in price

Get a Metzger engined one. Either a Turbo, GT2 or GT3. The Turbo is an awesome car.

Back