My old puppy

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd share a pic of my old shar pei, seamus, now 8 and a bit. :cool:

seamus1.jpg

Taken with my 50mm f1.8. Camera on floor, Aperture priority, no flash, 1/2 sec exposure at f1.8. Background light was small table lamp about 8ft away. No cropping, no pp,

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Not sure why it uploaded a dinky pic, now fixed.

Can I borrow him for the winter? He looks so snuggly, lovely photo but I think seamus has to come live with me :love: :rules:

Very nice dog :D i like them you don't see too many of that breed about.

Isn't it starting to get looked down upon with breeding them? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are no longer allowed in Crufts due to their eyes.

Isn't it starting to get looked down upon with breeding them? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are no longer allowed in Crufts due to their eyes.
Yes you might be right im not the most informed person on dogs but know quite few breeds and i like dogs (and cats :D) but i've heard myself about problems with there eyes as my friends relative has 2 of them and shes had few problems with the eyes on them so your comments on crufts could be correct.

Thanks for the comments. As 'retired' breeders ourselves, with reasonable success at shows including crufts, I'd like to add a few comments. Shar pei are still shown at championship shows, including Crufts and are still eligible to win challenge certificates allowing them to use the term champion. In other words the kennel club are still ok with them. Some people do breed the wrinkles to excess and this can cause entropian of the eye. There are two remedies. The first is to have the dogs eyelids 'tacked' as puppies. This involves a single temporary stitch which stops the eyelid rolling inwards and scratching on the eye. The second op involves removing a piece of skin from the eyelid. This is a much more serious op and is in fact quite rare. At one point we had four of our own dogs, actually four generations in the same line and none have suffered any eye problems, however all had their eyes tacked as puppies.

Back