Critique My other half

skd

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first shot at using my studio lights with my Lastolite Hilite.

I would be happy for any pointers/tips on how to improve or where I have went wrong as I am really interested in portraits and hope you be taking more in the future.

1920039_809269555753961_24507349_n.jpg

Thanks for looking

It sort of looks like a passport portrait, maybe it's the white dress she's wearing. Also, her hair doesn't look too good. The lighting looks OK though.

A couple of comments.

The camera is below eye level, so she's looking down on it and that has made her look dominant.

The lighting on the upper body looks even, but there's a slightly undignified shadow from her cheek below and to the left of her nose. That might have been reduced if her head had been turned slightly further in that direction while still maintaining eye contact, and turning her head a little more toward the catchlight in her eyes might have enhanced the apparent shape of her face slightly too.

Thank you for both your comments, it's something that's new to me, but I will be taking the comments on board.

It was the lighting I was more worried about

The light is a tad low, but other than that I couldn't comment because we don't know what you were aiming for.

I'd say if your just starting with portraits start with natural light. Move around your subject side to side up and down and find the angles that give you the best look. Also make move closer and further away to see how the perspective changes a face. Then use one light and move it around and in and out and discover how it works. Then add a reflector and then another light and so on. I would leave the white chavground for a while yet. You can read all the books and ask questions but it's a big learning curve and by doing an reviewing your own result is the best way.

Learn about creating shadows that show the shape of a face. Forget about flat light for a while as it's so easy you will learn nothing.

Oh and stick the hilite back in its box and leave it there for some time.

Last edited:
Is their just one light in the bg camera left? Just looks like the lights dropped off a little

The light is a tad low, but other than that I couldn't comment because we don't know what you were aiming for.

Yeah it is a little low due to height restrictions

I'd say if your just starting with portraits start with natural light. Move around your subject side to side up and down and find the angles that give you the best look. Also make move closer and further away to see how the perspective changes a face. Then use one light and move it around and in and out and discover how it works. Then add a reflector and then another light and so on. I would leave the white chavground for a while yet. You can read all the books and ask questions but it's a big learning curve and by doing an reviewing your own result is the best way.

Learn about creating shadows that show the shape of a face. Forget about flat light for a while as it's so easy you will learn nothing.

Oh and stick the hilite back in its box and leave it there for some time.

Thanks for your input I shall give it a try

Is their just one light in the bg camera left? Just looks like the lights dropped off a little

Yeah one light on the front left and one in the rear of the hilite as I only have 2 at the minute

Can I ask wat settings were u useing and how many and wat lights .I also use this setup .

Back