My pal, cooking a meal.

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Totally random and pointless shots, but not one I have seen here :D My business partner, cooking a meal for himself, myself and Claire. Was a curry, not a bad effort either.

2848318586_d85128cae6_o.jpg

2, this is just wrong on so many levels
2847487445_2406ec1404_o.jpg

2848316848_7ef7f96f19_o.jpg

2848318326_79aa98bfeb_o.jpg

2847486015_98cdf96862_o.jpg

Thats all folks, rip them to bits, I have had a bottle of red, I am immune to pain :D

Gary.

Nice shots, little on the 'warm'/tinted side, but love the DOF

Lens?

Nice shots, little on the 'warm'/tinted side, but love the DOF

Lens?

50mm, f1.4 - yeah forgot about white balance, he does have those low level ambient kitchen lights :D Nice excuse!

Gary.

Agree, the DOF works great, what 'f' number were they?

They have a professional look to them where they would fit great into an actual cook book.

Agree, the DOF works great, what 'f' number were they?

They have a professional look to them where they would fit great into an actual cook book.

I used f1.4, really love the lens so much - its fantastic.

Gary.

You see this is what I struggle to comprehend with DOF
Here you've used f1.4

Yet look at some other shots taken at f1.4 (or in my case f1.8), You get DOF that is literally a hairs nadger from front to back, where here it's quite acceptable.

I cant get my head round that.

You see this is what I struggle to comprehend with DOF
Here you've used f1.4

Yet look at some other shots taken at f1.4 (or in my case f1.8), You get DOF that is literally a hairs nadger from front to back, where here it's quite acceptable.

I cant get my head round that.

Don't look at me mate :D Perhaps its a full frame vs cropped thing? I dunno.

I do get confused too, I think it also has something to do with how far away you stand.

These are all uncropped I think, FF.

Gary.

Also, I should add - I am a vignetting junkie, perhaps it adds to the DOF effect?

Gary.

Yeah I know it's down to distance of the subject too, it's just something I really struggle with.

Yeah I know it's down to distance of the subject too, it's just something I really struggle with.

:shrug: i'm with him...

md(y)

nice shots gary glad it was not the naked chef shots :nuts:

Very nice gary... I think the use of the vignette works well in your images..

Looks a tasty meal, (Always taste's better when you dont have to cook it...)

Nigel

Very good set of pictures. Love the dof, really good.

Exif says f1.8

#3 is really the only one that works for me, I really like the colours, the composition, and there is a lot of interest in the shot.

For me, the rest of them are lacking in either composition, sharpness, or interest.
Sorry Gary! :(

Ditto with the DOF, excellent. The first one looks nice but doesn't fit in with the collection due to the BW used but it does convey a sort of action. Shame one of his hands was chopped off.

#5 has something artistic about it but is lacking that final step to take it to the next level. Maybe a more definite point of interest?

#3 is really the only one that works for me, I really like the colours, the composition, and there is a lot of interest in the shot.

For me, the rest of them are lacking in either composition, sharpness, or interest.
Sorry Gary! :(

No worries mate, I know you love me really ;)

Gary.

Ditto with the DOF, excellent. The first one looks nice but doesn't fit in with the collection due to the BW used but it does convey a sort of action. Shame one of his hands was chopped off.

#5 has something artistic about it but is lacking that final step to take it to the next level. Maybe a more definite point of interest?

Thanks Mark :)

I was really just snapping as after 5 years of working with the guy, first time I have been invited for food - had to capture it :D

Gary.

Everyone needs a kick up the backside sometimes ;)

I know you were slacking. Come on, get back up to scratch! ;)

I know ;) The set wasnt a serious one to be fair, I just wanted to arse about with shallow DOF, and low light. Its a collection of quick and dirty snaps I guess.

I am off on me holiday for a week in a few hours, so should have better on my return!

Gary.

Good shots dude, nice and clear as always.

What I struggle to understand is how you've shot them at f/1.8, with some at f/1.4, and still managed to get a nice area of sharp focus.

When i've tried shooting wide open with the nifty, the area of sharp-focus is minimul and the focus goes soft very quickly.

Good shots dude, nice and clear as always.

What I struggle to understand is how you've shot them at f/1.8, with some at f/1.4, and still managed to get a nice area of sharp focus.

When i've tried shooting wide open with the nifty, the area of sharp-focus is minimul and the focus goes soft very quickly.

I know what you mean, I think it must be the fact that Gary has a D3 (full frame). Thats all I can put it down to.

This is a first but I dont like one of Garys pictures, that being the first one. But as stated they were only for fun. Have a great holiday.

I know what you mean, I think it must be the fact that Gary has a D3 (full frame). Thats all I can put it down to.

That's a relief, at least someone does. :LOL:

thanks for comments guys :)

Half way through holidays so not been here much . . .

Back