My PC appears to have died :(

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a PC which i use only for media (tv, music, videos) and it's just died. I've been running it for years so it's not a huge surprise, but it is VERY annoying.

I have no idea what's wrong with it either. Sometimes it blue screens and reboots, other times it just turns off! It also doesn't seem to stay on for more than a few minutes, and there's nothing in the event log either.

This machine is important as it's used all the time for my music and tv recording (oh and downloading!). So i can't be without it too long.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing it, but if this happens it'll only be for a Mac, and i'm really not sure Mac's can do what i want :(

Here's what i need:
- FreeView (at least 2 tuners)
- TV recording
- Video playback (divx/hd stuff, etc...)
- Music
- Photo viewing
- Downloading

It also has to be VERY easy to use, and work from a TV with just a remote (no keyboard/mouse). XP/Vista MCE is superb at this, but Windows fails so often i just don't know if i can stand it any longer.

What should i do? I need some advice and a few pointers (y)

have you made sure all the internal connections are ok and nothings come loose? are your fans still working? could be overheating.....then again it could be anything!

Btw., where does Windows fails you so often?
I only have crashes when it's overheating or when I use rubbish drivers :p
You could try running the system without booting the OS for a while (just get into the BIOS and open the page with temperature values).

Blue Screen Of Death means there is a hardware fault.
As said before, check your fans are working

Blue Screen Of Death means there is a hardware fault.

Only 50% of the time. Corrupt drivers, corrupt registry hives and a million other things can cause BSODs

Lets go back to basics and stop with all the guessing shall we?

Right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Settings

Untick the box that says "automatically restart"

Next time it bluescreens, write down the stop error and post it up here

It sounds very typical of overheating issues, but the fans can be working fine and it will overheat - check the processor heatsink, if that is clogged with dust and dirt of eons, it will still overheat.
Unfortunately, it could be a number of things, so back to basics, check everything is connected correctly, and get the error code as mentioned above.

Overheating or memory failiure would be the first place to look.
Run with case off, try only one memory module (if you have more than 1!) check all cards are seated correctly...
Good luck

take the vacuum to clean out all the years of dust in there! It sounds like a PC you've not touched for years! :)

Back