My photographic journey

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
As some of you will recall, I have been extensively using cameras to capture the moments of our life for the last 4years. I only use films, no digital for me, i am afraid.

As is usual, first came the GAS. I must have bought, used and then sold off a lot of cameras (100, may be more). I still have a lot more than i need, or even use.

Then came the films. From the usual suspects from the kodak and fuji stable, to the lesser knowns.

Then, the development bug. Hours spent in the kitchen sink or thereabouts. Got a scanner, and spent more hours there, than thinking of photography.

And then came the books. I cleared off the local charity shops of all books.

Looking back, here is what i have concluded ( at least for now).

1. There is no perfect camera. So learn to frame with what you have, and let go of that perfect frame that your perfect imaginary camera can capture.

Choose one camera and stick to it. The mind can then focus on composition. Most film cameras have the same basic features, and certainly exceptionally high quality primes. Any will do.

2. Use one prime for a long period. 50 mm is a good one. That will force you to learn of the compromises you need to make to get a good shot. Photographs stand and fall on composition, not on the technicality

3. Not everyone likes darkroom. I certainly dont. But thats not a problem- HCB didnt, so we are in good company.

4. Choose the best film you can afford. That is the key ingredient to good picture. You will learn how the film behaves under various lights. I mostly use Porta.

5. Choose one pro lab and stick to them. Make friends with the operator, and explain to the operator how you see a shot. He will de able to print better. I use club 35

6. Use slide films often. It will show how the photo actually came out without any intervention at the print stage.

7. Revisit old photographs. You will be surprised how much can be learnt from it

8. All photos are good photos, even the snapshots. They all have a place.

Sorry about the rambling, hope this will generate some discussion

Ujjwal

Last edited:
Many wise words in there I believe

1. There is no perfect camera. So learn to frame with what you have, and let go of that perfect frame that your perfect imaginary camera can capture.

Choose one camera and stick to it. The mind can then focus on composition. Most film cameras have the same basic features, and certainly exceptionally high quality primes. Any will do.

4. Choose the best film you can afford. That is the key ingredient to good picture. You will learn how the film behaves under various lights. I mostly use Porta.

Regarding #1 - I wish someone had told me that earlier! :LOL: however, trying new gear is part of the fun for me (although I obviously do occasionally try and produce a decent image or two!), but I definitely agree in terms of pure photography.

#4 - completely agree, and especially when it comes to home developing, don't skimp - sure, you paid 48p less or however much per roll, but when you try and wrestle that thin and curly film onto the reel whilst the Fuji/Ilford/Kodak users are already pouring in the fixer to the tank, that 48p saving starts looking less and less attractive :shrug:

Well can't argue with most of your post but it seems to be more for a newbie but:-

H'mm.... #1 stick to one camera? I would say quite a lot of members here have digital, 35mm, and MF. For me I have specific cameras for certain subjects.

*2.... just use a 50mm prime?....that's my least used lens, for one lens a 35 to 40mm is more useful.

Well can't argue with most of your post but it seems to be more for a newbie but:-

H'mm.... #1 stick to one camera? I would say quite a lot of members here have digital, 35mm, and MF. For me I have specific cameras for certain subjects.

*2.... just use a 50mm prime?....that's my least used lens, for one lens a 35 to 40mm is more useful.

sorry buddy, you got to remember I am a newbie. So the comments are likewise :)

I was ignoring digital, and a different format. As you know better than many here, 6X6 framing is entirely different to 35 mm framing. I was thinking of 35 mm film camera here, which is my mainstay.

I wasnt recommending 50 mm as such, the point was more about sticking to one prime lens that suits till you can see the shot even without the lens, rather than carrying a whole box of various primes in the belief that all will be needed. I know of some folks who use 35 mm most of the time.

But lets face it, some of us have been shooting film for 30 years or more, so 4 years in that timescale isn't exactly a lifetime, is it ?

And newbieness and amount of time shooting are hardly related - there are some people who shoot for 50 years and always feel like newbies, and vice versa (y)

H'mm I think the confusion is "experience" and\or "if you have the eye".....some newbies here have done well on their first film shots.

Last edited:
I've been shooting for 10 years

And I still don't know a chuffing thing

In 30-40-50 years time when I kick the bucket, I still won't know 99% of what there is to know about photography..

but, nothin ventured an all that...:)

In 30-40-50 years time when I kick the bucket, I still won't know 99% of what there is to know about photography..

Well we are all learning something every day, but still a newbie after 4 years :eek: If you can't handle a film camera and take competent shots after a few months then maybe it's wise to take up stamp collecting as a hobby.
You can get a basic private pilots license in about 40 hours.....In the battle of Britain you were lucky to get 3 weeks training to fly a Spitfire and so on for other examples. Ok you were taught but the principle is the same in that a person can join a camera club or night school if you don't want to read a book.

Same here, there are so many technical things that I just don't understand, hyperfocal distance for example, but I can (sometimes) manage to take a good shot. I still think of myself as a newbie but everyday in every way I'm getting more and more average.(y)

Andy

Same here, there are so many technical things that I just don't understand, hyperfocal distance for example, but I can (sometimes) manage to take a good shot. I still think of myself as a newbie but everyday in every way I'm getting more and more average.(y)

Andy

Yeah but......average is progress from newbie..

Andy

Well if you want to be a jack of all trades from miniature to plate cameras, from action shots to landscapes to portraiture........then you have a point. ;)
But lets face it many of us will never be a David Bailley no matter how hard we try, and I except this for myself but it doesn't stop me taking competent shots and know for example:- I knew nothing about flash set up for portraiture but in a few months was taking competent shots that maybe wouldn't win competitions but, myself, family and millions of Joe Public would say they were good. (y)
Anyone can be a good (or very good) photographer, especially if you spend the time concentrating on what type of shots you prefer taking, and doesn't take 4 years. :shrug:

As some of you will recall, I have been extensively using cameras to capture the moments of our life for the last 4years. I only use films, no digital for me, i am afraid.
Well, how long you have been taking pictures is rather irrelevant & meaningless; you learn from doing & its how many pictures you have taken and how much you have learned from them that matters. I got my first camera when I was seven.... about 35 years ago... I took lots of photos with it... but probably didn't learn bog all until I was about 15.... by which point I had a better, but still compact camera, and it wasn't until I was 19 and got given my first SLR I started really learning much, and taking more and occasionally a few better pics. I still consider myself a keen amateur..... But, significant thing here I think is 'Only Use Films'......

Going through my old negative collection, mixed up in my archive I discovered, this week-end, a set of negatives from a 220 Cartridge camera I think must have been my Grandad's. First pics on the roll, looked to have been taken at the Edinburgh Tatoo. My Gran took my Dad to Edinburgh in the summer of 1966, seems likely thems were the holiday snaps. Next pictures were my Mum & Dad's wedding.... 1970, and the last few frames contained what looked like a flower-bed commemorating the England Rugby team 1972! THAT film I guess must have been in the camera six or seven years, and used sparingly! In them days this was NOT uncommon!

By the 1990's, the cost of photography had come down a lot, mainly due to automated processing equipment in the big labs, and the invention of the mini-lab. The average snapper used perhaps 3 rolls of film a year... maybe 100 pictures!

That decade, between 1999 and the millennium, coinciding with getting in to SLR photography, I reckon I must have taken something like 50 or more rolls of film a year, more than 10x average... but actually, still only about 2,000 photo's...... quite a lot.... but..... well. I have folders on my hard-drive that contain pictures from one days shooting in digital that can contain over 300 pictures!

When it comes to learning, experience counts for a lot; and you only get experience in photography taking photo's, and trying stuff out. A few rolls of film through an old manual focus SLR will almost certainly teach you more than a few thousand frames shot on a Digital camera on 'auto'... but there's no film cost to digital, opportunity to experiment is almost limitless, so experience gained with film will have been limited by the constraints of just how much film you can afford to burn!

Still... was how we all started before there was an alternative; and I seem to recall, that most folk would 'dabble' and a new camera was often no more than a novelty of a summer. Sticking at it a couple or more years, marked the more serious amateur, and where most would start to think about getting a little more adventurous and perhaps experimenting with manual settings or different lenses, or trying their own processing!

However…. All rather a detracting debate from the subject… which was advice for Newbs!

So Back on topic:
Yes, no matter how sophisticated the camera, they have yet to invent one with an inbuilt 'interest' meter that can tell you where to point it!

An interesting, photo can be forgiven a multitude of sins, provided some-one WANTS to look at it. Perfectly composed, perfectly exposed, photo can be perfectly boring and not interest any-one.

Always ask yourself WHO will want to look at the picture you are making, and then ask WHY they will want to look at it. Answer maybe that only you will ever want to look at it, and for no other reason than you took it... but even those answers start to give direction and purpose to your photography.

A photo should have a purpose. Without a purpose its just a bit of scrap paper, (or wasted bytes!) People should want to see a photo. Either because it entertains or it informs.

99% of photo's probably don’t do either (and most, ironically, by people who would consider themselves ‘keen’ photographers!). they are mere snap-shots of something that caught the photographers eye at the time, and after the event have no interest to inform or entertain even the person who took it!

Ask Who and Why, and give your pictures some meaning. Don’t waste film or bytes making rubbish.

Apply that rule, and even fundamental basics such as cocking up focus, let alone being off on composition, or being out on exposure, don’t matter so much. You at least have a photo that has a reason for being..... its then merely a case of making 'better' photo's with a reason for being... a photo that has no reason for being looked at, wont be looked at, regardless of how artfully its composed, how wonderfully exposed, or how high the image quality gained might be!

I'm not so sure of this advice. It's certainly an advantage to be familiar with your kit, and ultimately, the camera itself and how 'good' a camera it may be is not particularly significant to how good a photo you can get out of it, but?

Fixed lens range-finders and compacts, particularly more antique ones can be very limiting. You suggest sticking to a single lens, and these would enforce that 'discipline', but like as not also bring other restrictions, such as limited 'zone' focusing, or automatic only exposure control, or limited range of manual control.

Sticking to such a camera then can force you to think more about what control you have, in order to exploit it, can be informative to instilling good ‘in camera discipline’, but can also be frustrating when you want or need to push the envelope of operation, and expand repertoire of subjects.

eg: my little Olympus XA2 compact with fixed 35mm wide angle lens is a great camera, and brilliant for landscapes and snap-shots; but with zone focusing, and only the ASA selection scale to offer exposure compensation; I couldn't take nice selective focus, wide aperture portraits very easily; action photography was rather hit and miss on what shutter speed the program chose, and for motor-sport, umpety meters behind spectator safety, I'd never get frame filling action.

SLR's with more manual control, and the possibility of interchangeable lenses for different situations, really opens up the opportunities, if you wish to explore them. But at the same time, gives a lot more room for error using them wrongly.

Meanwhile, sticking to a single camera, can stifle your photography, encouraging you to do the same thing, the same way, and keep taking the same 'rubbish' photo's over and over again, merely improving the technical merit of that rubbish, not make it more interesting or worth while!

After starting a C&G course in Photography, I think about four years into my own enthusiasm for SLR photography, and at the time, utterly broke... I discovered an old WWII Voiglander twin-lens reflex camera in an attic.... and started a little adventure into antique cameras, I started collecting when people had clear-outs.

Running a roll of film through that camera, and having to use a waste level view-finder, with the reversed framing view! WOW! Complete mind melt!

First of all, to compose a shot, I had to hold the camera three foot lower than I did a conventional SLR or range-finder compact! WHAT a completely different perspective! Taught me something that; DONT just stand there and stick camera to face and press the button. Crouch down, LOOK at the subject from all angles. aided by fact that moving the wrong way in the view-finder, I had to be hyper aware of what was going on in the corners of the view-screen to keep it all in frame!

Another was an old bellows 120 roll film Press-Camera. No view-finder... It had a wire composition guide! And I think only about three shutter speeds and maybe four apertures, as well as having to meter manually or guestimate exposure, not rely on TTL metering. More lessons learned, new techniques, independent metering, and backing up, getting a wider shot, and giving yourself room to compose by cropping, as well as working to hyper focal distances and giving latitude to depth of focus to compensate for having absolutely no way of seeing what the Depth of field might be in the camera.

Using different cameras, learning their foibles, CAN be informative, and give you new perspective on your photography, encouraging, if not forcing you to try new techniques you might never other wise consider.

2. Use one prime for a long period. 50 mm is a good one. That will force you to learn of the compromises you need to make to get a good shot. Photographs stand and fall on composition, not on the technicality

See above. No.. they don’t even stand or fall on composition. They stand or fall on INTEREST and whether there is anything in the picture a viewer actually wants to see, that informs or amuses them. Composition is just the first step to making it 'nicer' to look at for them.

See above. No... limiting yourself to a single prime lens, is not necessarily a great way to go. Yes, it helps make you think about composition, but at the same time, denies a lot of the versatility you may have with a camera, denying opportunities, as well as potentially encouraging you to merely keep doing the same thing, over and over again, NOT actually learning anything new.

3. Not everyone likes darkroom. I certainly dont. But thats not a problem- HCB didnt, so we are in good company.

I have no idea whether Henri Cartier-Bresson was in fact 'good company'; I never dined with the chap. But the idea of spending an evening in a room full of his acolytes, hailing him as the peerless svengali of all photography, would have me reaching for the razor blades! 

It's back to the matter of the tools at our disposal and whether we choose to utilise them or not, as limiting yourself to a single camera or a single prime lens.

The dark-room, conventional or digital, is another set of tools in which influence over the final picture a viewer may look at can be exerted. And its that final picture that matters at the end of the day. The thing some-one is going to look at, and hopefully, they have an interest at looking at.

Opportunities to tweak or correct mistakes made 'in camera' exist, as well as many other opportunities to alter or even make a completely ‘new’ picture, that are almost impossible to do other wise, are possible IF you choose to exploit the tools available in this area of photography.

Understanding post-processing, choosing to exploit it, like any other photographic technique can be done for good and bad. But the camera is an imperfect tool. And when we take a photograph, we are creating a mere representation of what we viewed. There is no such thing as a perfectly undistorted image, apart from the one we see with out own eyes. And even in camera we exploit translation distortions to creative effect.

Eg. Selective focus. Its a feature of the lens & aparture that creates a shallow depth of field, that is not the scene we 'see'... but we are happy to exploit that 'distortion' even applaud it, in composition to focus attention on a subject.

What is the difference, then to using tilts in printing to 'correct' converging verticals? Is it more or less legitimate than using a tilt lenses? What about dodging and burning, to even exposure between highlights & shadows? Or using exposure merges or even montages?

The Dark-Room opens up a completely new set of possibilities and tools, to use or not use, to use well or badly, as you choose, and are no more or less 'righteous' than in camera techniques.

It is a contentious subject, for sure, and there is a lot of merit to the philosophy of clean camera work, and not relying on post-processing. BUT, post processing can offer an awful lot to your photography, and accepting, nay grasping post-processing, can inform your in camera work; open up completely new opportunities and direct your in camera technique in completely new ways to take in-camera images specifically for post processing!

Eg; HDR... modern automated, and hugely over used automatic means of exposure merging. Pioneers in the days of low emulsion latitude were doing that in the dark room, taking two or three exposures for highlights, shadows and mid-tones and over-exposing them in the printing stage to get a full tonal range in print. Is this wrong? Should they have presented pictures with burned out highlights and blacked out shadow, because that was all their emulsion could capture? Is the modern photographer, using wide range film emulsion in some-way ‘better’ getting their picture in one go ‘in camera’? Or are both exploiting the tools and techniques at their disposal, with the skill they have acquired to achieve the same ends?

Montaging. Done to death in modern digi-dark-room, often very badly; cutting out granny from family snap and pasting her into a back-ground of the Taj-Mahal or whatever. Its a means of making an image, and again, was done in the days of the chemical dark-room, to create 'interesting' pictures. And IF you want to do it, and do it well, so that it looks natural, then it is incredibly hard, and can demand an awful lot of very careful photo planning, and designing photo's to shoot in camera to give you the various elements to merge, so that perspective shifts or lighting patterns don’t 'glare' and make it look obviously false. Are such pictures ‘wrong’ because the photographer used the full range of tools at his disposal, mixed with skill, dexterity and imagination to make something NOT created in camera? I suppose then Ruben was an importer, because he made pictures without even a camera!

Yes... and no. I have to confess, that looking back over my archive of old negs, that I REALLY wish I could have afforded better film for so many shoots..... it IS probably the most influential ingredient a lot of the time on final Image Quality....

But yet again, to deny experimentation, to deny variation, or selecting different tools for different jobs, steers you not to learn, but to repetition.

I used high speed film for action or low-light photography; I used slow speed film for landscapes and still life. I used colour print film, I used slide film, I shot black and white. I used expensive Fuji and cheap Croatian Konica copy film... probably most often, as it was what I could afford, to keep the camera loaded. May be didn't get the best image quality I might, but I got pictures.

And films respond differently. Using a variety of stock you get to know which work better in what situations, and like selecting lenses or even cameras, you can learn to exploit better film for the situation, or not waste 'good' film where its not needed.
Back to tools for the job, and recognising opportunity and exploiting it to advantage. Not denying opportunity for some misguided idea of discipline.

5. Choose one pro lab and stick to them. Make friends with the operator, and explain to the operator how you see a shot. He will de able to print better. I use club 35

In an ideal world... maybe... But for film processing, these days its often Hobson’s choice. Yes great if you have a one man, one machine lab, where that one man and one machine ensures consistency between films... but other wise? As likely as not pot luck, and consistency cannot be totally assured. Modern electronically metered mini-labs though, generally offer a reasonable level of consistency, and not just between films or batches on one machine, but between machines, even in different labs.

So unless you are a diligent DIY Dark-Roomer, assuring your own processing consistency, you either pay top dollar for pro-service and hope for the best, or bung it in on budget to whatever mini-lab or postal processors you can afford.... and the consistency and quality assurance is all within industry standards of 'acceptable quality limits', while chances of a rogue effup, tearing your negs or creaming your emulsion, or bluing your prints, probably aren't much different who ever you use! You are just more likely to get re-immersed the film price rather than shrugged shoulders when you complain to a more expensive service!

6. Use slide films often. It will show how the photo actually came out without any intervention at the print stage.

True... but.... why should this be important?

What matters is the final image presented to the viewer.

How you get it there, is up to you. Comment really reveals more about your inclination towards in-camera clendliness, and distain of post-processing than anything.

It is a good tool for instilling good in camera discipline, but as comments so far; photography is not all about good in camera discipline, its about making pictures people want to look at. Remember the objective, remember, ask WHO and ask WHY.

People don’t generally want to look at slides; and even as a photographers own appraisal medium, HOW are you going to look at them? 35mm on a light-box? You aren't going to see very much in such a small artefact, are you? Even under a lupe. Projected on a screen? You are no longer looking at the first hand article, but a second generation image, subject to enlargement distortion and error.

You will almost NEVER view a 35mm frame in detail, you will always look at it in some second generation enlarged reproduction. Accept that, and the worth of using slide film to appraise how clean your camera work is rather diminished before you consider that is almost never going to be the finished 'Picture' for the viewer.

Yes, its good to know about and worth pondering for clean camera work; and clean camera discipline is useful. But it is only a very small part of getting image from camera to viewed picture.

Who and Why. The final picture people are going to see, on a computer screen, in a photo album, in a frame on some-ones wall, whatever THAT is the finished article the thing people are going to look at..... WHO is going to look at it? And WHY would they be interested?

7. Revisit old photographs. You will be surprised how much can be learnt from it

Well, possibly... but we're going round in circles. If, following some of your advice, you have been steered towards repetition; sticking to one camera, one lens, one brand of film, one photo-processors, one type of photography, and eschewed all opportunities to explore and experiment with your photography..... chances are, you have hundreds and hundreds of photo's that are ALL the same with little variation or variety and no progression showing any learning, that either confirm you are the great photographer you would like to be.... or disappoint, because nothing stands out as being very wonderful or at all different!

8. All photos are good photos, even the snapshots. They all have a place.

No.. they don’t... well... OK.. maybe they do... the 'place' for many being the bin, or unseen in a dusty album some-where.

WHO and WHY. Photos have absolutely NO meaning, no relevance and no purpose unless some-one has some interest in it, and wants to look at it..

For some-one to want to look at a photo, it has to have some interest. It has to amuse, entertain or inform them in some way. It has to INTEREST them.

Blury snapshots of Auntie Mable loosing her knickers, can be forgiven all ills, because there is some interest to a viewer in them. Perfectly posed, perfectly composed, perfectly exposed and perfectly boring photo of something of little interest or relevance to any-one, except maybe the photographer, no-one will spare a moment to glance at.... that has little or no place and is a waste of film.

There’s a fair bit of wisdom contained in your advice; and there is an underlying philosophy struggling to get out of it, which is, “Take Photo’s – Learn From them”… and a lot extolling the virtue of ‘In-Camera-Discipline’ and keeping it clean in camera and not trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, correcting camera mistakes in post processing.

But there’s also a lot of distortion and some perversion in there, that without understanding the wider context around the advice, without qualification, is unfortunately less helpful, and as suggested, would tend to steer a new photographer down a very stifling path, contrary to your aim, I am sure, sticking to arbitery constraints, not exploring all the potential creative avenues within the persuit of photography, persuing ‘in camera cleanliness’ to the exclusion of all else, refining ever more perfectly boring photo’s showing ever more technical dexterity, and an utter absence of interest, experimentation, of appropriate use of available ‘tools’.

Nothing is photography is ‘wrong’… only how it is used. And what matters, ultimately is the picture people look at…. And whether there is any reason they would want to.

WHO is going to look at the photo you are taking
WHY will they want to look at it.
INTEREST is all.
Everything else is legitimate, and merely a means to an end.

Mike... please don't take this the wrong way, but you REALLY need to get out more, or lay off the caffeine :LOL:
Its still raining.:crying:
I NEED my coffee! :puke:
We used to have a kettle-club in the office at work; I went to India for six weeks, saving and combining leave over two tax years around April 1997, in order to do it....
When I got back, Angela, who ran the kettle club, welcomed me back, asked how the holiday went, and then opened the stationary cupboard with the tea and coffee in it.... four catering tins of Nescafe fell out!
Apparently for three weeks, she carried on buying tea & coffee at the normal rate, until there was no more room for all the spare coffee!
Rest of the club, appreciated biscuits for the following three weeks on the surplus from me not drinking all the coffee!
Embarressed, I asked sheepishly if they wanted an extra contribution to the kettle-Club from me.....
"Oh NO!" said Angela..... "You drink enough coffee to put a bull elephant on a Caffeine Hyper... yet we wonder often enough whether we need to check for a pulse! We think you NEED it!"
And its STILL raining :LOL:

I was trying to read Mike's post on my iPhone :bang:

WoW Mike what a post, but do disagree with this for only one reason:-

****99% of photo's probably don’t do either (and most, ironically, by people who would consider themselves ‘keen’ photographers!). they are mere snap-shots of something that caught the photographers eye at the time, and after the event have no interest to inform or entertain even the person who took it!***

Quite a few of the boring shots are interesting in the future, esp buildings, people, areas that don't exist anymore etc...so snap away as it's a hobby for many of us and the fun is using the camera and seeing the pics.

Does F&C break a new record with that reply ?

I was gonna read it but I've gotta get my hair cut on Saturday...:shrug:

Quite a few of the boring shots are interesting in the future, esp buildings, people, areas that don't exist anymore etc...so snap away as it's a hobby for many of us and the fun is using the camera and seeing the pics.
Rather takes off into the question of what might make a photo interesting...
But on the matter of 'future' interest; that is pretty speculative, and entirely serendipitous whether a photo might 'appreciate' in interest with time.
And in all likelihood, those photo's that are likely to appreciate in interest are those that contain elements, that are, at the time of taking the photo, probably NOT actually the intended subject 'interest'.

The other large factor is relevance. An awful lot of the photo's I have taken in the last decade are probably of absolutely no interest what so ever to almost any-one. Family snaps. Unless you know who the snap is of, it will probably have absolutely no relevance to you what so ever, hence little or no interest. Might be of some interest to the person that's in it; may be of a little interest to any-one who knows the person it it.... but even then, probably only fleetingly.

Interesting exploration into the topic;
> What 'interest' is inherent in a photograph
> What 'interest' is acquired from outside reference?
> How may 'interest' change, depending on reference?

Good example of this is catalogue product photo's. Who REALLY wants to look at pictures of, I don't know.... Garden hose reels! It is not an inherently 'interesting' subject, really, is it? Interest comes from reference; the fact that its in a catalogue, presumeably for sale, and IF you are contemplating buying a hose to water your garden, it may suddenly have some interest. But an interest that is likely to change, when you read the product description beneath the photo, which may have you scouring the picture to see the special features aluded to, OR, turning the page quickly muttering "HOW MUCH! I ent paying that for NO bloomin hose pipe!"

Aquired Interest through Antiquity? OK, well lets go forwards in time 100 years and rediscover the photographers original RAW file of that hose reel.... without the contextual information to explain the photo, or what its reason was, or provide the details that the Argos Catalog did, explaining why that hose reel was worth looking at..... it has very little relevence and probably almost no interest. Interest is probably more easily lost to antiquity as it might be gained.

So, back to the questions; Who is going to look at a picture, and why? What is the interest. Why might it interest them, and IS that interest ALl actually contained in the framing marks of the viewfinder, or does it rely on pre-existing knowledge or explanation to make it interesting?

Bottom line... WHY would any-one want to look at the picture you are about to take?

If no one is likely to want to look at it, other than simply because it exists, is it really worth taking? What is the purpose of the picture. What do you want to convey to a viewer? Is it all in that picture? How else do you get the message accross, or complete the record you are making.

Two questions; Who and Why, before you press the shutter button, are they magic key to taking better photos, photos some-one is going to want to look at.

Well it's all simple for me in that I take photos that I like and hopefully my family or friends like...and consider it's a bonus if anybody else likes them.
I've entered plenty of competitions when I was in a camera club and found it absolutely boring trying to take a shot (that I wouldn't normally take) just to please one paid independent judge, and there was always someone better than me......so have now settled down to my first paragraph i.e. well it's all simple...............

Did anyone actually get through the post in the end? I haven't yet attempted it :whistle:

Did anyone actually get through the post in the end? I haven't yet attempted it :whistle:

I started it, then poured a large glass of whisky and gave up (y)

Back