My rant about new iPad (or how to make it useful?)

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I got one of those new shiny things for myself, now I'm finding it hard to justify once the common sense kicked back in.

Obviously the v3 vs 2 was very straightforward - the screen in v2 just wasn't right. I even managed to get 32GB (more like 26 to be fair) to make it worse (or better).

So what do I think? It is nice to read news, ebay, books - all the small things. It is probably a great travel companion. Email is OK, but rather poorly executed (where is the delete option? and the horrible layout), calendar works badly with gmail.

Then came the big shock - and I was aware already that it was problematic with photo stuff. So:

• Zenfolio app works - fine I can show my portfolio on
  • My (Zenfolio) website opens and in theory a poor soul could be images on the spot from me, and get them delivered next day
  • BUT only 1D III talks to ipad. The Ds2 takes forever :bang:, unless I shoot to SD card (quite slow - and no way to split JPEG / RAW into SD / CF). Why no FW, or CF card download?! No camera control!
  • RAW support is shocking bad! They only open previews and mess with them. iPhoto is a waste of money. As much as I looked elsewhere I couldn't find anything worthwhile.
  • As above, I can't find a single really useful app for photography (RAW support, metadata, 16bit, basic editing, and full size jpeg export)
  • where is my FTP + file manager?
  • why can't I even delete anything except in original photo app?
  • no USB storage?!!!! WHF apple?
I only bought apple since the competition loses value too quickly. Samsung probably makes better kit though. I much prefer Android OS on the phones (but thanks to crappy Desire can't take advantage of it) and will get Galaxy Nexus or similar next time.

Probably if MBP 13" gets proper upgrade to USB3 + Retina display this is what I'll get - obsoleting this once and forever :thumbsdown:

Anyway - I am still interested how to incorporate this into PRO photo workflow, and any on the spot up selling in weddings, etc. Please share.

One of the disappointments of the iPad was it's lack of features for being able to use it for mobile photo editing. However saying that it was never really intended for that. Even with the latest updates for the 3rd generation the processor isn't really up to anything a half decent laptop could do.

Having said that as a presentation media for processed images it isn't a bad tool at all. The iPad is doing what it was designed to do. Not be a cheap (er) version of a MacBook Air or Pro

Some things can be a real pain. It's all down to Apples desire to Sandbox applications to stop them interfering with each other and cause problems for users. Probably a good thing for 99% of the iPad users out there but frustrating for the other 1% ( me included).

The iPad is designed for a specific market. Like me you probably need a MBP which I find a much better tool. I'm waiting for the next generation to come out to replace my 4 year old one, as I now need more battery life than I can get.

I wouldn't hold your breath for a USB 3 port in a MPB or any new Mac for that matter, as Apple seem to have bypassed that and gone for Thunderbolt. Which is singularly devoid of any accessories except expensive RAID's and a connection cable. There are rumors that Sonet may be working on a Thunderbolt to USB 3 adaptor, but it is only a rumor

i love my ipad 2. I run my entire life and photography business from it, and it works really well.

right from enquires through to invoicing for photos i can not fault the system. I do not edit anything on the ipad, and never intended it to. I do however sometimes use it to backup whilst out and about, and it supports Nikon RAW just fine.

At home, its used to watch films, listen to music, read books, control my htpc.

It connects with my drop box account for instant access to anything i could ever need.

I see the iPad (and tablets in general) as a media consumption device, I wouldn't expect to use it for any editing.

With regards to pro photography, if you use Lightroom, have a look at Photosmith.

One of the disappointments of the iPad was it's lack of features for being able to use it for mobile photo editing.

One of the disappointments of my new toaster is its lack of features for being able to do mobile photo editing. But that's probably my fault for trying to use the wrong tool for the job.

Swipe right for delete.

For photo editing there's always this crappy little app. Photoshop.

Last edited:
I understand it won't/can't play flash in web pages?
Major issue really, Android seem ahead at the moment, even my sub-£150 lenovo tablet on android can play flash content just fine, in fact it's really good with full screen images and video.
Tablets seem awkwardly placed between a smart phone and a laptop with some of the best and worst features of both.
They are kind of handy but at the ipad price a very expensive toy.

Major issue really, Android seem ahead at the moment

Major issue?

You do know that future android will not have Flash support and that Adobe have stopped development?

Still a major issue?

hollis_f said:
Major issue?

You do know that future android will not have Flash support and that Adobe have stopped development?

Still a major issue?

Also flash content is overly used and poorly anyway. Anyone who's site is purely flash with no alternative doesnt deserve the traffic :)

Major issue really, Android seem ahead at the moment, even my sub-£150 lenovo tablet on android can play flash content just fine, in fact it's really good with full screen images and video.
Tablets seem awkwardly placed between a smart phone and a laptop with some of the best and worst features of both.
They are kind of handy but at the ipad price a very expensive toy.

flash is dead. i use my ipad more than anything else for web browsing and havent noticed that i cant use flash.... lol that's how much of a problem it isn't!

And at least 200 million mobile internet consumption devices don't use flash ;) Big cash rich consumer market to alienate...

stokes said:
flash is dead. i use my ipad more than anything else for web browsing and havent noticed that i cant use flash.... lol that's how much of a problem it isn't!

I dislike flash - it is mostly used for annoying adds. There are now alternatives for the few useful things like YouTube or iplayer

Craikeybaby said:
I see the iPad (and tablets in general) as a media consumption device, I wouldn't expect to use it for any editing.

With regards to pro photography, if you use Lightroom, have a look at Photosmith.

Can it export useful jpegs, or is it just for cataloging? Does it change file names?

I know I am not going to use it much for editing, but it has to be able to turn a raw file to an acceptable jpeg product. Well maybe not.

Let's see if Mbp 13" becomes what I want. Intel ivy bridge should have usb3 and I can't see apple ripping it off. And it has to have min 8gb ram, ips screen and ideally sad. Please listen apple. Till then I'm staying with my 4-year old one till it dies or I find really cheap used one.

daugirdas said:
I got one of those new shiny things for myself, now I'm finding it hard to justify once the common sense kicked back in.

Obviously the v3 vs 2 was very straightforward - the screen in v2 just wasn't right. I even managed to get 32GB (more like 26 to be fair) to make it worse (or better).

So what do I think? It is nice to read news, ebay, books - all the small things. It is probably a great travel companion. Email is OK, but rather poorly executed (where is the delete option? and the horrible layout), calendar works badly with gmail.

Then came the big shock - and I was aware already that it was problematic with photo stuff. So:

[*]Zenfolio app works - fine I can show my portfolio on
[*]My (Zenfolio) website opens and in theory a poor soul could be images on the spot from me, and get them delivered next day
[*]BUT only 1D III talks to ipad. The Ds2 takes forever :bang:, unless I shoot to SD card (quite slow - and no way to split JPEG / RAW into SD / CF). Why no FW, or CF card download?! No camera control!
[*]RAW support is shocking bad! They only open previews and mess with them. iPhoto is a waste of money. As much as I looked elsewhere I couldn't find anything worthwhile.
[*]As above, I can't find a single really useful app for photography (RAW support, metadata, 16bit, basic editing, and full size jpeg export)
[*]where is my FTP + file manager?
[*]why can't I even delete anything except in original photo app?
[*]no USB storage?!!!! WHF apple?

I only bought apple since the competition loses value too quickly. Samsung probably makes better kit though. I much prefer Android OS on the phones (but thanks to crappy Desire can't take advantage of it) and will get Galaxy Nexus or similar next time.

Probably if MBP 13" gets proper upgrade to USB3 + Retina display this is what I'll get - obsoleting this once and forever :thumbsdown:

Anyway - I am still interested how to incorporate this into PRO photo workflow, and any on the spot up selling in weddings, etc. Please share.

Try reading one of the numerous iPad threads. Almost all of those complaints are user error/not enough research, with the exception of the 1DsII which is down to USB1/lack of UDMA support (can't remember which). Have you tried plugging a card reader into the USB dongle? Some of them work.

daugirdas said:

[*]Zenfolio app works - fine I can show my portfolio on
[*]My (Zenfolio) website opens and in theory a poor soul could be images on the spot from me, and get them delivered next day
[*]BUT only 1D III talks to ipad. The Ds2 takes forever :bang:, unless I shoot to SD card (quite slow - and no way to split JPEG / RAW into SD / CF). Why no FW, or CF card download?! No camera control!
[*]RAW support is shocking bad! They only open previews and mess with them. iPhoto is a waste of money. As much as I looked elsewhere I couldn't find anything worthwhile.
[*]As above, I can't find a single really useful app for photography (RAW support, metadata, 16bit, basic editing, and full size jpeg export)
[*]where is my FTP + file manager?
[*]why can't I even delete anything except in original photo app?
[*]no USB storage?!!!! WHF apple?

Delete email with the delete button...

matty said:
Delete email with the delete button...

There isn't one if you're running Imap via Googlemail, Matty. Only an 'Archive' button- not sure if that's the same for Pop3 accounts or not.

FWIW I do agree with the comments about the calendar though.

Except there isn't one, only the useless 'archive' where delete should be

There isn't one if you're running Imap via Googlemail, Matty. Only an 'Archive' button- not sure if that's the same for Pop3 accounts or not.

FWIW I do agree with the comments about the calendar though.

There is one on my imap server connection, and of course a left and right swipe...But yes not with the googlemail account, so is that an apple issue do you think? I mean any normal imap/pop3 connection is just fine...Same with calendar, if you use a proper open standards CalDav server or MS Exchange it is just fine...

I wouldn't be without my ipad now, it took a long time and serious thought before I bought in, but now i have it in my day to day life it's awesome. Photo editing was never on my list of wants from the device, but the ability to do basic edits through aps now is a bonus.

i use the standard ical and mail apps on the ipad as they integrate seamlessly with my iphone and imac (except for ical on the imac because i'm still on snow leopard and that doesn't support icloud syncing)

There is one on my imap server connection, and of course a left and right swipe...But yes not with the googlemail account, so is that an apple issue do you think? I mean any normal imap/pop3 connection is just fine...Same with calendar, if you use a proper open standards CalDav server or MS Exchange it is just fine...

just tried another account - that one has the delete, the google doesn't :bang:. Google mail app is better, but still just a patch of the android one.

I wouldn't be without my ipad now, it took a long time and serious thought before I bought in, but now i have it in my day to day life it's awesome. Photo editing was never on my list of wants from the device, but the ability to do basic edits through aps now is a bonus.

i use the standard ical and mail apps on the ipad as they integrate seamlessly with my iphone and imac (except for ical on the imac because i'm still on snow leopard and that doesn't support icloud syncing)

I use Thunderbird for all my mail and calendar needs (the i**** on mac are far too basic) so you can see why I'm disappointed on this count.

more and more I find my self using standard web pages instead of the dedicated apps. This is not a good sign, that simple and easy things are deliberately left out.

I start thinking about the jailbreak, or a sale towards the end of the summer... It can't be long till android tablets catch up and overtake, just like they did in the phone space. In fact a while ago 2x1GHx 1GB RAM box could run a very decent linux distro with openoffice and Evolution client, why can't this?!

Frankly you sound like someone who fell hook, line, and sinker for all the marketing hype without actually doing some basic research before spending your money.

You should have bought a Macbook Air if you wanted an ultra-light PC.

If you think the iPad is bad you will be *seriously* disappointed if you buy an Android tablet. The Google apps are great, but 99% of everything else is garbage.

daugirdas said:
Can it export useful jpegs, or is it just for cataloging? Does it change file names?

I know I am not going to use it much for editing, but it has to be able to turn a raw file to an acceptable jpeg product. Well maybe not.

Let's see if Mbp 13" becomes what I want. Intel ivy bridge should have usb3 and I can't see apple ripping it off. And it has to have min 8gb ram, ips screen and ideally sad. Please listen apple. Till then I'm staying with my 4-year old one till it dies or I find really cheap used one.

I think it can export to Flickr & FTP (or that might be in the next version), it doesn't change the file names when you import files into Lightroom. It isn't really a standalone app, it's an app to integrate the iPad into a pro photography workflow which uses Lightroom.

FWIW I doubt Apple will support USB 3 as they have got their own faster protocol, ThunderBolt and to an extend FireWire 800. I'd be interested to know why is USB3 a deal breaker.

I've never used thunderbird , what exactly does it do that the basic mail client and calendar can't do while on the move?

When I'm out and about time spent messing on a device is time I'm not earning, so for me getting a calendar event set up and shared in the minimum time by using basic functions is what I need, same for mail.... Just need to read, reply and flag for later :D

Photo editing - get the hugely expensive £25 apple port to SD or Apple port to USB connector and import via the camera (some card readers don't work)

Then use FilterStorm for editing.

However - it's not really to be used like that (although it can be). A lack of storage, grunt etc, means it's much more useful to use as a reader, portfolio display, browser etc. Handy as an occasional device, or I use to shoot raw and small jpeg, load the jpegs in whilst walking back to the clubhouse and have instant display of the games photos. Generate interest, then hand out business cards for the website I was selling from.

It's not a laptop replacement.

I use Thunderbird on my PC and the standard iPhone and iPad email apps to handle my email. One does need to understand how IMAP works, which can be confusing for those used to POP3.

Ever since the original iPad launch we've been hearing about how Android will be beating it 'Real Soon Now'. But in those two years we've seen various attempts, almost all of which are either dead, or are looking really unwell. The only real competition seems to the from Amazon with the Kindle Fire. And that's only because Amazon are selling it at a loss.

hollis_f said:
This should be written on the box in big red letters, just as a final warning for those who can't be bothered to do even a minimal bit of research before purchasing.

So the fact that it isn't a laptop isn't enough?

Download and start using Snapseed - it's by far the best photo editor on the iPad.

It's made by Nik Software and is miles better than the Photoshop app.

On the other points of iPad use, like others have said, it's not a computer. You need both.

Frankly you sound like someone who fell hook, line, and sinker for all the marketing hype without actually doing some basic research before spending your money.

i was going to say this yesterday but couldnt word it in a way that didnt sound trolling :D

i mean USB storage? lol

serious answer, has the OP tried filterstorm pro? that always gets good reviews, ive got it but havent had a chance to try it.

FTP and file manager, there are apps for that. have a look for the big app thread.

I've never used thunderbird , what exactly does it do that the basic mail client and calendar can't do while on the move?

When I'm out and about time spent messing on a device is time I'm not earning, so for me getting a calendar event set up and shared in the minimum time by using basic functions is what I need, same for mail.... Just need to read, reply and flag for later :D

I suggest trying thunderbird on desktop considering it's great, free and open source. It has great search tools, nice layout, etc. Like I said my android phone let's me do more with my IMAP emails.

Photo editing - get the hugely expensive £25 apple port to SD or Apple port to USB connector and import via the camera (some card readers don't work)

Then use FilterStorm for editing.

However - it's not really to be used like that (although it can be). A lack of storage, grunt etc, means it's much more useful to use as a reader, portfolio display, browser etc. Handy as an occasional device, or I use to shoot raw and small jpeg, load the jpegs in whilst walking back to the clubhouse and have instant display of the games photos. Generate interest, then hand out business cards for the website I was selling from.

It's not a laptop replacement.

Sadly I got one of those (see the OP). Ebay sells them for £3.50 :shake:. The trouble is neither USB (1) or SD are particularly good with my 1DsII, so that only really works with 1DIII. I suppose it can't even chose between RAW and JPEG, since 1DsII wouldn't split them into different cards (the later models can). It sounds like ebay-ipad-CF adapter or eyefi may be my last options.

FilterStorm is something I looked at but stopped reading where it said 8-bit support only. How is it better than shooting a well exposed JPEG in the first place? Since there is no trial, I am not sure I want to throw more money away.

Download and start using Snapseed - it's by far the best photo editor on the iPad.

It's made by Nik Software and is miles better than the Photoshop app.

On the other points of iPad use, like others have said, it's not a computer. You need both.

OK, how good is it? I can't see a trial either. I am not looking for anything as powerful as PS CS5, just something that will cleanly convert RAW (in 16bit), display histogram, crop, WB, adjust curves and clean sensor dust - and preserve settings for LR.

i was going to say this yesterday but couldnt word it in a way that didnt sound trolling :D

i mean USB storage? lol

serious answer, has the OP tried filterstorm pro? that always gets good reviews, ive got it but havent had a chance to try it.

FTP and file manager, there are apps for that. have a look for the big app thread.

Yes, USB storage is probably the most important thing this thing should do! It is reasonable to expect a tabel to read SD / CF cards / USB disks to import / export media (any file, document, not just photos). Galaxy tab can do this. Let's face it - apple crippled this intentionally. The limitations are not determined by hardware, but rather by some nasty greedy execs.

So I became an apple hater overnight:thumbsdown:. Seriously, if they do this to macs (which it seems they intend) I am well and truly back over to M$ side.

Yes, USB storage is probably the most important thing this thing should do! It is reasonable to expect a tabel to read SD / CF cards / USB disks to import / export media (any file, document, not just photos). Galaxy tab can do this. Let's face it - apple crippled this intentionally.

Show me the memory card slots and USB ports on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 please.

FWIW I doubt Apple will support USB 3 as they have got their own faster protocol, ThunderBolt and to an extend FireWire 800. I'd be interested to know why is USB3 a deal breaker.

Wait half a year, and then try to buy a non USB3 HDD, printer, USB drive or any other accessory. Even today, many HDDs are USB3, only very few support FW800 can cost much more for a slower old interface, and none support TB. I have serious doubts if TB will ever become mainstream, so without USB 3 a new laptop is obsolete and useless. The desktop can always taken an addon card, but at nearly 3k this is not an option.

I really can't understand apple these days. Most of the accademia runs on apple machines, so the obvious thing to do is to dumb it all the way down. Yeah way to go apple!:bat:

Show me the memory card slots and USB ports on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 please.

You can buy an extension just like the apple one, except it isn't limited to JPEG files

You can buy an extension just like the apple one, except it isn't limited to JPEG files

Ah so the Galaxy Tab can't do it unless I buy something.... In other words, the Galaxy Tab as it is cannot read memory cards or be connected to something via USB.

I'd say "Let's face it - Samsung crippled this intentionally. The limitations are not determined by hardware, but rather by some nasty greedy execs."
Wouldn't you?

Ah so the Galaxy Tab can't do it unless I buy something.... In other words, the Galaxy Tab as it is cannot read memory cards or be connected to something via USB.

I'd say "Let's face it - Samsung crippled this intentionally. The limitations are not determined by hardware, but rather by some nasty greedy execs."
Wouldn't you?

I partially agree, but then it is a hardware limitation. Once you get the extension, you are good to go. Not so with apple (unless I jailbreak it or something)

daugirdas said:
Wait half a year, and then try to buy a non USB3 HDD, printer, USB drive or any other accessory. Even today, many HDDs are USB3, only very few support FW800 can cost much more for a slower old interface, and none support TB. I have serious doubts if TB will ever become mainstream, so without USB 3 a new laptop is obsolete and useless. The desktop can always taken an addon card, but at nearly 3k this is not an option.

I really can't understand apple these days. Most of the accademia runs on apple machines, so the obvious thing to do is to dumb it all the way down. Yeah way to go apple!:bat:

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible. Where's the problem?

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible. Where's the problem?

As in USB3 port can read USB2 device, but not the other way round? Even if it weren't, USB2 is already too slow, that's why most of us have FW800 drives. But FW800 is also getting too slow. Would you be happy with it 3-4 years later?

In fact, while we are at it -

how can I connect it to VPN to my work network? I can't download journals otherwise, or use some special search engines.

MBP does it on the fly.

Probably I should step out, and develop my own Android tablet and make big $$$, except I am crap at coding.

daugirdas said:
I suggest trying thunderbird on desktop considering it's great, free and open source. It has great search tools, nice layout, etc. Like I said my android phone let's me do more with my IMAP emails.

Sadly I got one of those (see the OP). Ebay sells them for £3.50 :shake:. The trouble is neither USB (1) or SD are particularly good with my 1DsII, so that only really works with 1DIII. I suppose it can't even chose between RAW and JPEG, since 1DsII wouldn't split them into different cards (the later models can). It sounds like ebay-ipad-CF adapter or eyefi may be my last options.

FilterStorm is something I looked at but stopped reading where it said 8-bit support only. How is it better than shooting a well exposed JPEG in the first place? Since there is no trial, I am not sure I want to throw more money away.

OK, how good is it? I can't see a trial either. I am not looking for anything as powerful as PS CS5, just something that will cleanly convert RAW (in 16bit), display histogram, crop, WB, adjust curves and clean sensor dust - and preserve settings for LR.

Yes, USB storage is probably the most important thing this thing should do! It is reasonable to expect a tabel to read SD / CF cards / USB disks to import / export media (any file, document, not just photos). Galaxy tab can do this. Let's face it - apple crippled this intentionally. The limitations are not determined by hardware, but rather by some nasty greedy execs.

So I became an apple hater overnight:thumbsdown:. Seriously, if they do this to macs (which it seems they intend) I am well and truly back over to M$ side.

I think that you need to take a serious reality check, Tomas.

The concept of editing RAW files on an iPad is for emergency/rough edit/preview only.

If you're expecting to be able to come up with full blown 16bit conversions with beUtifully accurate colours, then you are whistling for it. More to the point, I've never seen any promo literature or review that's claimed that ability.

The iPad is a fantastic, flexible tool; provided that you understand and accept it's limitations.

As an instant review/portfolio viewing platform it's great, but it was never designed to be able to edit. Filter storm Pro is almost certainly the best editing software available for tablets across any platform (sorry android users, only available on iOS at the moment), but even it has limitations.

Try learning about the tool that you've just bought, rather than dripping about how bad it is within 24 hours of getting it.

Apple USB/SD adaptors

Have you got the USB adaptor. Can't you connect your camera directly by usb cable and import that way? That's how I've done it with my 50D.

When it connects, it pops up photo album and you tick the images you want to import and away you go.

Back