My Recent Feeble Attempts

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just got 3 films back taken with 3 different cameras.

Voigtlander Vito B - Adox Art 100
5420571647_de62eeb825_z.jpg

5420571475_d38bb93c22_b.jpg

Voigtlander Bessa R3A - Legacy Pro 100
5420571287_c35a7ce9c3_z.jpg

5420570813_d990e0574a_z.jpg

Nikon F3 - Fuji Superia 400
5420570609_79f75b6c34_z.jpg

5421177730_c5b2f22129_z.jpg

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
Hmm. Not bad. I like the tree. Shame you've cropped bits off. Just needs a bit more space around it, or a more intentional crop.
Interesting how you've used three different styles with the three different cameras. Is there some problems with the second one? Hair, dust, something loose inside perhaps?

Not so feeble after all.

Thanks Paul. I think there was a problem with the processing, there appears to be lots of scratches on the negatives.

Andy

I like the last one Andy... good moment and love the graininess. There do seem to be a lot of scratches and stuff with a few of them... it's a massive problem I share as well.. :(

Number 2 would have a great, atmospheric feel to it if it wasn't for that lamp post.

#1 and 2 for me. I really like the old look of them. I'm a sucker for winter trees.

#2 is superb. The tower vanishing into the clouds really works for me. Minor point but that damn light posts whould shift itself out of the frame.

Nice one.

Love the second one, but I have a soft spot for pylons..

Great shots, love the second one as you can't beat industry and a bit of mist.

(y)

Thanks guys. I'm actually a bit disappointed, not so much with the shots but the processing. The negs are quite scratched and there was a bit of fogging on the roll from the R3A, not something thats happened in the other 2 rolls from that camera. I think I will send the next rolls to another lab for comparison.

Andy

Do you not fancy doing it yourself Andy? At least any dust and scratches is within your control then?

I have an idea that I will go down that route before long but for the moment I'll just concentrate on taking better pics. As the wife says 'multi-tasking, some days you can barely single task'. :D

Andy

I don't know who you used Andy, but I now use Photo Express in Hull and the quality to date has been superb, we also get a 50p per film discount by quoting TP and your forum name.

Last edited:
I shall give them a try. I used Club 35 and I haven't had any problems with them upto now, maybe just a one off.

Andy

5 and 6 for me :D

Okay, here goes...

#1, Well done for keeping some details in the tree and ground, somedays there just ain't no sky to speak of, so you just need to let it go and work with what interest there is, in this case the textures in the tree and hedge.

#2, As has been said, it's a shame about the modern streetlamp - had it been of the same era as the housing, it'd probably not have jarred as much, but again, especially with a fixed lens, you have to work with what you have, and sometimes the overall composition with a fixed lens puts things in frame you'd sooner not. I do love the Looming Towers in the mist though - I've been a sucker for them ever since I paid off my student debt with a summer working painting them :)

#3, spot on exposure, nice composition, lovely tones from the Legacy Pro 100, and such a shame that theres that horrible scratch running parallel to the tower. Still - it'd come out easy enough in CS5, though I'd hate to be painting it in on a wet print.

#4, as per #3 really, though I'm also slightly concerned with the lighter area at the bottom of the ladys cloak. At first I put it down to the OOF blur from someone very close in front of you, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like some kind of fogging :(

#5 and #6 capture the feel of many a dingy club gig I've been to, both playing or in the audience, and I'm even prepared to forgive the mono conversion in #6 - shooting at 400iso couldn't have been exactly easy. Personally, if I'd have been shooting the whole roll I'd have stuck the dial on 1600 and given it another 10 minutes in the soup, but if it's a mixed shooting roll, you don't really have the option :shrug:

All things considered Andy, far from feeble... If you want a definition of feeble, you should see my rejects file from the Feb'11 POTY - or perhaps you shouldn't :LOL: I'm certainly pretty sure that Januarys effort is going to be nullified by Feb's :(

Thanks Mark, I think I agree with you on all points. Its definitely fogging in No 4 but its not apparent on any other shots from the roll so I'm not sure what happened there.

Andy

Cheers Mike.

Andy

last two are the best for me, nice graininess and shooting into the light works well for them :)

Back