My review of the Meike DR750 battery Grip for the Nikon D750.

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
As the official MB-D16 grips from Nikon for the D750 are about as rare as hens teeth, and seem to be back-ordered everywhere, I thought for the very first time I would try and non-genuine Grip for my Nikon D750. There seems to be a multitude to choose from, back after a bit of research, the brand Meike seems to be recommended by most people that are using aftermarket grips. So it was found on EBay from a seller with a good feedback score for £55.90 delivered. The unit arrived within 3 days so here is my take.

The unit arrived in a small cardboard “Meike” branded box and contained the DR750 Grip, EN-EL15 battery holder, AA battery holder and a nifty wireless remote (more on that later). All items were well packaged in plenty of bubble wrap.

Upon examining the grip my first impressions was one of pleasant surprise. I’m not sure exactly what I was expecting, but the unit is very solid, with little to no flexing of the engineering plastic (no magnesium chassis here), good tight seems and no moulding flashing and no creaks when assembled. The rubber texture of the coverings is an excellent match for those on the camera.

The supplied EN-EL15 battery holder takes the genuine Nikon battery very well with no sloppiness, and the included AA battery holder is a nice touch at this price point.

I attached it to my D750, and just like the genuine MB-D16, the Meike unit has a small recess to hold the contacts rubber cover on the base of the camera. The whole assembly screwed together very nicely and when done up tight, there was little to no flexing of the whole assembly. Sure not as secure as my D810 with the genuine Nikon Grip, but that a magnesium alloy chassis and this is plastic, but certainly much better than the Nikon grip I used to own many years ago for my D200, which back then was also made of plastic.

The shutter release, joystick and AE-L/AF-L buttons are a little more “clicky” than say a Nikon branded unit, and don’t have the nice dampened feel, but are far from poor and critically just as responsive and tactile. The shutter release in particular has a nice 2 stage action that I like.

Now to the bonus - the wireless remote. This little unit is supplied as standard and is pretty cool. It runs off 2 AAA batteries (not supplied) and in standby mode just show the current time (once set up). It has 99 selectable remote channels, in case it interferes with any other radio equipment (mine didn’t so I left it at the default channel 99).

The unit has a standard shutter release button and once paired with the grip doesn’t involve any additional settings on the camera. Just stick on a tripod (or whatever) and click the button, and the unit focuses and trips the shutter like any other remote. However, put the camera into bulb mode, and this little remote can handle 1) a delay before the first picture is - taken fully selectable 2) a timed release that goes to 99 hours, 99 minutes and 99 seconds and 3) a invalometer function which can trip the shutter up to 999 times at a user set interval.

One really nice trick is that pressing the backlight/lock button for about 3-4 seconds locks the remote so that it can be chucked in a bag and none of the buttons will operate. Pressing the same button again for 3-4 seconds unlocks it again. Oh and did I mention the remote is backlit for shooting at night.

So there you have it, not quite as well built as the Nikon unit (but then that’s metal this is plastic), but crucially this is only £55 whereas the Nikon unit is about 4 times that price, and this is available whereas the Nikon unit is not (or at least not easy to find). Will it stand up to a long term test, who knows, but for £55 if it only last a couple of years, I’ll have had my money’s worth. When you think that this includes the cracking little wireless remote function, you have to wonder if adding some metal in the construction for the genuine unit equates to four times the price. Some will of course say yes, but for me, as I won’t use the grip all the time, this will do me just fine.

So all in all, highly recommended. Hope you enjoy, and thanks for reading.

**edit**

Sorry, forgot this part. Whilst Meike (AFAIK) makes no claims for the weather sealing of the grip (unlike the Nikon unit), upon checking my grip for my D810, I can see there are 2 places where Nikon seals the grip. One is a rubber gasket surrounding the contacts array on the grip to seal them when the grip is assembled to the camera, and secondly a rubber gasket around the opening to the battery compartment to seal against the battery holder chamber. On checking the Meike grip, it certainly has the gasket around the contacts array, but doesn't around the battery compartment opening. So weather sealing might not be as good as the Nikon unit and this may well be show stopper for you. Myself, I rarely if ever shoot in the rain (more of a fair weather photographer), and if I do, usually cover the camera with a cape anyway, so this feature doesn't bother me but it might you.

Last edited:
I have the same one and agree with your review totally. For the price, you cannot go wrong.

Well put it this way Dave, up until late last week I had a D4 as well as the D750 (and D810). I found that for high ISO work the D750 was just as good (maybe even a little better) than the D4, even considering the extra 8 mp of resolution the D750 has. The focus is just as good, and as I don't shoot sports etc. I found I wasn't' using the machine gun 10 fps of the D4, and the 6.5FPS of the D750 did me just fine. So I sold the D4 on here (hope the new owner gets lots of use) and I kept the D750. Does everything I need and in a much smaller lighter package when I don't want to take the D810.

Enough side I think.

Thanks for the review, I have been looking into getting one for my D750, and its been a tossup between the Meike, and the Pixel version. The reason I want one is because I had a D3, and I miss the vertical grip and button, as I do Portraits and weddings, it handy .

First class review

Can I ask a silly question as I have never used a grip, do the controls on the grip override the camera controls when fitted or can you still use the cameras controls when fitted ?

Last edited:
First class review

Can I ask a silly question as I have never used a grip, do the controls on the grip override the camera controls when fitted or can you still use the cameras controls when fitted ?
Mike, you can use either. The grip has an on/off switch. If off,only the camera control works, if on ,then both work.

Opinion is divided on grips, I just prefer them when using longer lenses and cos I have meat slabs as hands.

Mike, you can use either. The grip has an on/off switch. If off,only the camera control works, if on ,then both work.

Opinion is divided on grips, I just prefer them when using longer lenses and cos I have meat slabs as hands.

Thanks Ade, Im thinking about doing the same as yourself an get the D750, thought the grip would help balance the camera up better with the 500mm lens.

Thanks Ade, Im thinking about doing the same as yourself an get the D750, thought the grip would help balance the camera up better with the 500mm lens.
Well, that is exactly the set up that I have,works for me...........:)

Thanks for the review. I'll be getting a D750 in a couple of months (I've got a bit of cash coming my way, but not a word to the wife eh!).
I'll be pairing it with a D3s for gig work and will be wanting a grip, and this sounds ideal.
Does the battery in the grip only become "live" when the battery in the camera gets low on power? I had a separate grip on one of my previous cameras and seem to remember that you could select which battery you wanted used first.

As your previous cameras, you select what one to use first. also the ae-l af-l button is customisable from the camera menu as well.

D750 is next on my list, have nikon grip on d7000 and keep meaning to get one for my 700, the thing that's always worried me about 3rd party grips is the plastic construction as I use a blackrapid strap which fixes to the tripod thread. How strong do you think the meike plastic is, would you risk a tripod mounted strap with it?

Hmm, tricky one that. Whilst the Meike grip has a metal plate running the full length of the bottom (that the tripod screw is attached to), it's still embedded in engineering plastic. Not sure I'd want to carry the camera with a heavy lens attached fixed to the tripod socket via a black rapid sort of strap. I think I'd rather trust that to the genuine grip (there has to be a reason why it's worth 4x more than this :D)

D750 is next on my list, have nikon grip on d7000 and keep meaning to get one for my 700, the thing that's always worried me about 3rd party grips is the plastic construction as I use a blackrapid strap which fixes to the tripod thread. How strong do you think the meike plastic is, would you risk a tripod mounted strap with it?
Depends on what size lens you use with it?

I know people, plenty on here, who like these straps attached to the tripod mount, i`m not keen, but that is down to the individuals choice.

So. Just got mine through Amazon and it appears that I have a duff battery.
It charged up ok in the Nikon charger but the holder doesn't seem to recognise it.If I put the battery directly into the camera it's not recognised there either.
If I put 6x AA's into the separate holder every things fine, even the remote control thing. (I've set the camera to use the battery's in the grip first)
Antone else had this issue?

Excellent review. I got one of these a few months ago and I have noticed one very annoying detail that most reviewers miss. If you use what is sometimes called "back focus" meaning that you use the AF-ON or some other button on the back of the camera to activate auto-focus, you will note a difference with this grip. Some of us change custom setting f4 on the D750 to "AF-ON" to use the AE-L/AF-L button to activate auto-focus since the D750 has no AF-on button. With this setting active in the normal landscape orientation the button on the back of the D750 (AE-L/AF-L) acts exactly like the AF-ON button on other Nikon cameras, the camera only focuses when the button is pressed, but when the camera is rotated to portrait orientation the f4 setting is ineffective with the buttons on the grip and the shutter button causes focusing to occur with a half press

I haven't figured out what to do about this yet, but when I tried to use the camera with the default setting in f4 rather than AF-ON I got way too many pictures with a fuzzy subject and a sharp background. Clearly the old back focus method is not going to work with this grip. I am just going to have to find an auto-focus setting that works for me.

Last edited:
Very happy with mine. Has a deep hand grip to match the camera's. Fits well with no wobble and no need to over-tighten.
I've set the camera to use the battery in the body first, then the battery in the grip, I'm just checking to make sure it changes over correctly ( down to 3% in the body battery).
Big bonus is that it comes with a wireless remote release which seems to work well, at £70.00 compared to Nikon's £230.00 you would have to make our own decision as to whether it represents good value or not.
I've not tried or even seen the Nikon version but I suspect it will have a higher build quality.
The battery which was packed with mine seemed to charge ok but was not recognised by the camera whether fitted to the grip or the body. I contacted the seller who replied straight away that they would send another, what they sent was a new battery holder but in the mean time I had bought a spare Duracell which works perfectly so I've not pursued it any further.

I'm sceptical that it will last that long. I got through three third party grips for my D7K. The first two stopped working completely, the third one had a dodgey connection and when you flexed it the power went on and off. I kind of fixed it by always putting the battery in the camera but the build quality was still very poor compared to the Nikon ones and very flexible on the camera. I could had bought a genuine one with all the third party grips I bought.

I'm a bit surprised that you can afford a D750 but you can't shell out for a genuine battery grip.

P.s. on my Meike grip the aperture and shutter dials worked backwards which was a pain. Do they still make them like this?

I'm sceptical that it will last that long. I got through three third party grips for my D7K. The first two stopped working completely, the third one had a dodgey connection and when you flexed it the power went on and off. I kind of fixed it by always putting the battery in the camera but the build quality was still very poor compared to the Nikon ones and very flexible on the camera. I could had bought a genuine one with all the third party grips I bought.

I'm a bit surprised that you can afford a D750 but you can't shell out for a genuine battery grip.

P.s. on my Meike grip the aperture and shutter dials worked backwards which was a pain. Do they still make them like this?

The nikon grip for the D7000 costs £229.99 the meike one is £29.99. You can buy 7 of the Meike grips for less than one Nikon grip, so just a little exaggeration there.

Anyway I have the Meike grips for our D750, D800 and our D810 never had any issues. Have also had genuine grips for D700 and D300 can't really say I noticed much difference.

The nikon grip for the D7000 costs £229.99 the meike one is £29.99. You can buy 7 of the Meike grips for less than one Nikon grip, so just a little exaggeration there.

Anyway I have the Meike grips for our D750, D800 and our D810 never had any issues. Have also had genuine grips for D700 and D300 can't really say I noticed much difference.
Well it maybe a little exaggerated yes but after all the trouble I wish I had just bit the bullet and bought the official one. If they were the same quality if wouldn't be an issue but the third party versions were poor and didn't last long. I still have my D7K but I now primarily use a D610, the official grip for that cost £130 from DigitalRev, I'm glad I wasn't tempted to go cheap on the grip and those days are behind me.

Very happy with mine. Has a deep hand grip to match the camera's. Fits well with no wobble and no need to over-tighten.
I've set the camera to use the battery in the body first, then the battery in the grip, I'm just checking to make sure it changes over correctly* ( down to 3% in the body battery).
Big bonus is that it comes with a wireless remote release which seems to work well, at £70.00 compared to Nikon's £230.00 you would have to make our own decision as to whether it represents good value or not.
I've not tried or even seen the Nikon version but I suspect it will have a higher build quality.
The battery which was packed with mine seemed to charge ok but was not recognised by the camera whether fitted to the grip or the body. I contacted the seller who replied straight away that they would send another, what they sent was a new battery holder but in the mean time I had bought a spare Duracell which works perfectly so I've not pursued it any further.

Update * D750 battery shows 0% MB-D16 battery kicked in showing 98% and indicator in top plate lcd reads full again. :)

Excellent review. I got one of these a few months ago and I have noticed one very annoying detail that most reviewers miss. If you use what is sometimes called "back focus" meaning that you use the AF-ON or some other button on the back of the camera to activate auto-focus, you will note a difference with this grip. Some of us change custom setting f4 on the D750 to "AF-ON" to use the AE-L/AF-L button to activate auto-focus since the D750 has no AF-on button. With this setting active in the normal landscape orientation the button on the back of the D750 (AE-L/AF-L) acts exactly like the AF-ON button on other Nikon cameras, the camera only focuses when the button is pressed, but when the camera is rotated to portrait orientation the f4 setting is ineffective with the buttons on the grip and the shutter button causes focusing to occur with a half press

I haven't figured out what to do about this yet, but when I tried to use the camera with the default setting in f4 rather than AF-ON I got way too many pictures with a fuzzy subject and a sharp background. Clearly the old back focus method is not going to work with this grip. I am just going to have to find an auto-focus setting that works for me.

So AE-L/AF-L if changed to AF-ON will not work as AF-ON in the grip?
Did you find a work around?
Thanks

So AE-L/AF-L if changed to AF-ON will not work as AF-ON in the grip?
Did you find a work around?
Thanks

You can assign f4 to AF-ON for the camera AE-L/AF-L button to work. There is also menu f10 to assign the AE-L/AF-L button on the grip to AF-ON. I have to assign both to get AF-ON both the camera and grip and both now work as AF-ON. Have you changed menu f10? It works fine on my original nikon MB-D16 battery grip (purchased second hand but brand new as was part of a nikon offer).

Last edited:

@Ted Brengel Have you altered menu f10? See post #29 for more details.

Thanks Rob, Havn`t got one yet. Just dotting my i`s before buying. The nikon grip is a ridiculous price.

Thanks Rob, Havn`t got one yet. Just dotting my i`s before buying. The nikon grip is a ridiculous price.

I can't say if the third party grips will work with AF-ON as I have nikon grip, you need someone with a third party one to confirm if it works. Have a look for second hand ones, I got a brand new nikon one second hand from the person I bought the D750 second hand from. I personally would say the nikon is worth extra, whether it's worth £230 new I'm not so sure (hence buying used at about 60% RRP). Instead of a third party one I went with a second hand one as it made more financial sense. There may be a few second hand ones around as there was a free battery grip offer when people purchased the d750 so you could be lucky.

Last edited:
Great review - I read this and went straight to the Meike website to look for one for my D300S - great value but sadly not remote control as far as I could see..

I bought one a couple of months ago. The remote stopped working just before Christmas and the retailer sent me another. This one doesn't work either, straight from the pack!
The grip though, is still working fine, fits well and looks good.
Anyone have a spare remote they don't need?

I bought one a couple of months ago. The remote stopped working just before Christmas and the retailer sent me another. This one doesn't work either, straight from the pack!
The grip though, is still working fine, fits well and looks good.
Anyone have a spare remote they don't need?
Do you want to send me one of your duff ones to try on my grip? It may be your grip that's at fault.

I'm pretty sure it is the remote. I remember when I first bought it, whatever channel it was set on, when you pressed the shutter button on the remote, the led next to it came on. It doesn't do that on either remote. I've tried new batteries, changed the channel to 00 and nothing happens. If I set the camera to bulb, and the remote to bulb, the red led comes on, but still doesn't fire the shutter. I sent the seller another email, but had no rep,y

Well. I decided to have another play with the remotes, and b****r me, they were both working. I checked the grip and camera contacts with a magnifying glass, all fine, checked it was done up tight and everything works.
But here's what I eventually discovered.
Last time I used the grip and the remote worked, I put in a brand new fully charged fresh battery. I took maybe 10 shots, took the grip off and put it in my bag. About a month later, I attached the grip, remote wouldn't work.
New remote wouldn't work either. What I didn't do, was check the battery in the grip. I did today and it was flat as a pancake. Put in a new battery, remotes work. Even with the grip disconnected and turned off, the remotes work ( green led comes on when I press the shutter release.
What I have realised is that the thing is using power all the time, I assume, to power the wireless link, and consequently, the battery goes flat over time, no wireless link, no green led on the remotes when you press them!
So, you can't turn off the remotes without taking out the batteries, and you can't turn off the wireless link without removing the battery in the grip.
Poor design, but at least I have got to the bottom of the problem, and now have 2 remotes. A result of sorts!

I just bought one of these grips with remote, but I cannot get it to focus for me.
The remote will fire the shutter, but not focus. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Back