My Riat Take

Name
Paul W Langshaw
Edit My Images
Yes
better late then never,sorry about that work tends to get in the way.
Spent 4 days at this years RIAT and I must say that the weather was very mixed but very challenging from a photographic point which i found most enjoyable. So here is my top ten from this years event.

streaminghornet.jpg

algerian130.jpg

jordainianteam.jpg

hungariangripen.jpg

inthewet.jpg

smokey52.jpg

seakings.jpg

omaniandrainbow.jpg

fnlynx.jpg

t-43takeoff.jpg

Thanks for looking,Comments always welcome good or bad.

Paul langshaw.

The 757 for me.The B52 is very atmospheric. Great stuff.

Geoff.

Personally I think most of these are over-processed (namely, too much contrast, ie dark), particularly the B52 and Boeing 757 images, after all it wasn't that bright on Sunday to begin with. I've never been a fan of too much trickery, a good shot will stand out without being over enhanced. With the same editing only toned down a little to appear more natural they will both be excellent images.

The Gripen is a bit too dark, again perhaps a little bit too much work with contrast. The static SeaKing image looks far too dark to my eyes, the dark blue of the Navy special is completely lost as a result, there's no need for that much editing in my opinion, same goes for the BAC 1-11, although at a lesser extent.

I do like the F18, despite the narrow crop as you seem to have edited it a little more gently than most of the others and the lighting is nice against the grey sky with the white trails standing out well. Although still a little dark I like the effect of the smoke on the Jordanian Falcons. The Algerian Herc with the follow me 4x4 is a nice composition. Good to see you used a decent shutter speed for the Lynx too.

The T43 image is a nice capture but the editing doesn't seem quite right to me. The aircraft is a little too off center and seems over sharpened and again perhaps a little bit too much contrast enhancement. But it is a nice capture nonetheless.

Please don't take offence from any of my comments, I offer them all in a constructive manner.:)

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with processing in my book, one of the great things about digital and especially RAW is the ability to enhance an otherwise drab photograph.

As Aperture points out, it wasn't a great day on Sunday but you've managed to overcome that in post processing and produce some very engaging photographs.

Its true to say that your photos don't fully represent the conditions of the day but who's to say that they should? Photography is a creative pastime for most rather than a documentary one, I think you've done a great job there.

I believe that a photographer should do their very best to get everything right "in camera" rather than relying on post processing techniques to recover an image but I also believe that even when everything is done right, there is often a lot to be gained through post processing, not least lending your images some style and individuality. I think that is what you have done here Paul - Nice work (y)

You like it, I don't, that's the beauty of being individuals.;) I like the effect that has been attempted for in the 757 and B52 images, had I been crowdside that day I'm sure I'd have done something similar I just think they're a little bit too dark personally.

I am not a 'record' photographer either, which is why I still made sure I offered some praise for the intentions and just expressed that that in my opinion the editing on some of them was perhaps a little over-done that's all. I don't think for one second I'm 'right', but there's nothing wrong with sharing contructive criticism even if it's negative (indeed, I like seeing polite criticism once in a while). I appreciate that not all will agree. :)

I hope you aren't jumping to his defence because I sounded overly critical? Because that wasn't my intention (honest!).

Last edited:
Boys dont get into a debate over my Imagies everybody is entitled to there opinion I dont take offence I for one like what I do that is me.
Aperture's remarks I will take some of them on board but not all.the only thing that I would say is that the conditions on the day were not the best so as a photographer you have to take the weather conditions on board ,where as in the days of film most of us would have struggled to get anything that is why we are individuals not everybody likes what you are doing.
Once again thanks for your comments.
paul.

I rather like the processing but as Steve said everything is down to personal taste, all are very dynamic images very well caught.

Back