My Rock Chick

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Had another go at portraits using off camera flash tonight. Beths favourite hobby after karate is her electric guitar, so cue some shots for her web pages. C&C very welcome, definately outside my comfort zone here.

3116971180_5d2e934bae_o.jpg

Edited version with more contrast

mono2.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely portrait. Thought I would present a quick edit? Let me know if you like it or not, can be removed!!

29nx851.jpg

Gary.

Interesting, does the noise add or detract? Is noise a good way of adding mood?

Gary.

EG - I think it works, but I would have probably toned it down still a little more, obviously on a larger file size, the 2% that you used, wouldnt have been as noisy?

Here Yv, I hope you dont mind but I had a play. I do love my black and whites with tons of the C-Word at times ;)

Heres the edit that I have played about with.

3117029924_c8846779bd_o.jpg

EG - I think it works, but I would have probably toned it down still a little more, obviously on a larger file size, the 2% that you used, wouldnt have been as noisy?

Here Yv, I hope you dont mind but I had a play. I do love my black and whites with tons of the C-Word at times ;)

Heres the edit that I have played about with.

Each to their own, but even for me, thats WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much contrast! :D

Thanks Del, I did one like that actually [when doing the edit posted above] and really liked it, but she pulled a face, so now I can blame someone else :LOL: I love it, so contrasty its almost an absolute black/white representation (y)

Thanks Yv - try something different some people like it....some people dont...:shrug:
However, its a good shot to work with, Just have to keep practicing with the off camera flash :)
Each to their own, but even for me, thats WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much contrast! :D

:eek::eek::eek: You said the C-word!

Last edited:
However, its a good shot to work with, Just have to keep practicing with the off camera flash :)

Do you know, we have a large house with not a single bit of blank wall or anything! I was going mad trying to decide where to take the shots, finally opting for the sofa as the least offensive background. Time to buy some sheets if he wont let me get a proper background for this kind of stuff....hmmm...sheets, couple of clothes pegs, curtain rail....I see the start of a grand plan...:naughty:

the original and edit looked a little bit flat...my go..subtle local contrast

rock.jpg

difficult though, as i think it's a bit of a test of how well the monitor is set up

Del's edit really is way too contrasty. Its black or white. There are various ways of adding contrast without adding contrast. Go back to the colour version and increase the red, orange, yellow channels more. Add an s curve. The problem you have is the right hand cheek is brighter than the rest of her face so its easy to make it look uneven. Its a good photo, and the extra contrast works in Yv's second shot. If she had looked to the right you may have got better light on her face, but it probably wouldn't have worked with the angle of the guitar. I also don't think adding noise helped :) Its too uniform across the image.

Some nice edits and originals there.

Why does no-one want to mention carrot today?

Must be a girlie thing but I like all that C!

If you want to portray rock and you want it a little edgy then, for me, C is almost a prerequisite, I don't want a lot of grey in that kind of image.

Sorry boys :D

I like EG's effort, although the noise looks a bit too "artificial" rather than the grain that would be found from a high ISO. Yours looks a bit over-sharpened Del, maybe that's the contrast, but it just seems a bit over-cooked. The original is a great shot for what it is, but a bit of careful PP would probably really bring it some punch.

EDIT: Actually, I don't know why I said the noise looked artificial. It doesn't. Well done EG.

/me goes back to bed

Last edited:
Must be a girlie thing but I like all that C!

If you want to portray rock and you want it a little edgy then, for me, C is almost a prerequisite, I don't want a lot of grey in that kind of image.

Sorry boys :D

Um. You know you're talking to Captain Contrast yer? I love high contrast b&w but Del's edit was a step too far. As I said, you could add contrast by adjusting the b&w channels instead of levels / curves / contrast slider. That would remove the grey.

Any chance of posting the original colour so we can properly do this? ;) Its hard to adjust a b&w from a b&w.

Last edited:
Um. You know you're talking to Captain Contrast yer? I love high contrast b&w but Del's edit was a step too far. As I said, you could add contrast by adjusting the b&w channels instead of levels / curves / contrast slider. That would remove the grey.

Not a step too far according to some people Captain Contrast! ;)
And I didnt do the contrast by levels/curves/contrast slider :razz:

Not a step too far according to some people Captain Contrast! ;)

But tis according to others :p My point was that I love high contrast photos too. But imho as someone who both loves the look and uses it often on people, it was too far. The right cheek was almost blown out and it didn't really work with the rest of her face because the contrast wasn't as high. It was uneven. Too much lost detail in the blacks too.

I've spent years doing this and I used to get things wrong as some of the older members will know.

And I didnt do the contrast by levels/curves/contrast slider :razz:

Didn't say you did :p I said that there are ways of doing it to remove the grey.

Um. You know you're talking to Captain Contrast yer? I love high contrast b&w but Del's edit was a step too far.

For you perhaps but I like it just the way it is. So ner! :naughty:

You use the word "properly" There IS no properly when you are applying an artistic touch. You do it the way you like it. That's the only standard that need apply.

Crikey, debate a plenty.

Heres my take on it. I am not as a rule fond of overly contrasty shots, but I do think there are times when you can push it into the artist extremes and of this occasion I personally like it, but as the 'model' doesn't, I didn't linger in that area. I do prefer my edit over my original [see first post] I think I had possibly gone too far back the other way. As Pete points out, the problem was the hot areas on the cheek, bearing in mind I am still learning about off camera flash and struggling to adjust the power on one of them too - I think it may have to be dropped in favour of another sb600 as soon as I can afford it.

I am at the proverbial grindstone atm and got a club xmas dinner tonight, but will host the original colour at a slightly larger size/res on flickr when I do get home so everyone can have a play - if young madame grants permission of course, and as she is an inveterate poser, I see no problem :LOL:

Thankyou all for the input, it does provoke quite interesting debate (y)

For you perhaps but I like it just the way it is. So ner! :naughty:

You use the word "properly" There IS no properly when you are applying an artistic touch. You do it the way you like it. That's the only standard that need apply.

Oh boy :p What part of ;) didn't you understand when I said properly? :p Back off women, I have a penis and I'm not afraid to use it!

Oh boy :p What part of ;) didn't you understand when I said properly? :p Back off women, I have a penis and I'm not afraid to use it!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Is that meant to strike fear in the women of today? ;)

We have Oestrogen by the bucketload - and we arent afraid to use it back! :p

Can you imagine little pete's running around, all demanding that they take over photographing every major city in the UK and HDR it! ;)

Back