My Second go at macro photography

Edit My Images
Yes
this is my second go at macro photography with the camera on fully manual. Please I would like any pointers
macro2.jpg

Hi

The image is a little overexposed, as parts of the image are completely burnt out so you've lost some detail there. Use the histogram on your camera to check for overexposed areas.

And personally, i would have liked to see a little more of the insect, like the front legs, etc.

Apart from that it's good for your 2nd attempt :)

sorry dont even know what a histogram is.

I am struggling as I am not using a flash and I have so much to learn

but thanks for the comments

This was another one I took ate the same time, not sure if I am getting better or worse

macro3.jpg

They aren't bad there pretty sharp just the exposure is a little off. I shoot most of my macro stuff at f11, 1/250 with flash I'm no expert but it seems to work for me most of the time, they are awesome looking critters would love to have a go at shooting one myself I also prefer the second shot

Sean

I am alittle confused with the exposure, as I am not to sure what the difference is between exposure and ISO. I dont have a flash, I am looking at a ring flash or a twin head macro flash. I just used a couple of free standing lights but it wont let me put the DOF up over F5

sorry dont even know what a histogram is.

I am struggling as I am not using a flash and I have so much to learn

but thanks for the comments

Hi

I would have thought to enable your histogram would be the same on a 50d to that of a 40d. When reviewing your images press the info button.

A histogram is basically a graph which across the bottom refers to exposure, the left being completely black and the right being complete white. The vertical axis is the number of pixels. Any pixels that are completely white will not contain any detail. So after taking a shot examine the histogram for exposure.

On my website, click on the menu tutorial and then exposure to learn more about iso, etc, its not the best tutorial but it should help a little I hope.

Back