My Son - First Portrait Image

andiphoto

Knock-Off Nigel
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys,

i took this picture of my son on his 1st birthday. could you let me know what you think .... i thinks its canny but then again im new...:clap:
3220046530_ddf4e26bb0.jpg

BLESS HIM - was his 1st birthday on monday...

Last edited:
Maybe my works server but I can't see an image mate.

Andy

I see it now.

First reaction, bad use of selective colouring. The lighting is harsh on his face, you've chopped the top of his head off, and he just looks like he wants to sleep, bless him :p

lol well the image was done candidly... just went up and took it... he was really tired by this point... as i say this is my first 'portrait' image, i just dont what i done to practice really.. the photo was took like that... all i have done is changed levels, colour pop ect.

i like it and i hate selective colouring,

the harsh light and tight crop are fine and suit the image i think, probably wouldn't be the case if he was smiling but the expression suits the light and crop for me.

I like it too. you'll find people on here will pick at anything..

There like the people who cant get used to the switch from VCR to DVD.

There are no rules to photography, and if there is then there made up :)

hahah well said torquerevs.... i agree, everyone has there own tastes.... people like landscapes some people like macro photography not everyone likes them all...

i just liked the tired expression on his face and at the last minute it thought i would colour pop the image to give it something else..

i took this picture of my son on his 1st birthday. could you let me know what you think ....

Erm, I did just that. So what exactly did you want me to say?

No need to get defensive :shrug: That goes to TorqueRevs too.

Blah Blah Blah.

IMO the critique was sent as FACT. not an opinion. :shrug:

There are alot of sheep on here who just follow the "big boys".

Baarrrhhhh!!!:woot:

Basically i thought the point in critique was to give feedback on the image and then ways to rectify problems... if you dont like the image it would be nice to have info that i could use to make the picture better..

that wasnt a rant just i dont know how else to put it :)

:wacky:

I like the picture, it highlights the fact that his eyes are really sleepy and the colouring on his dummy draws your eyes to his eyes. (my view anyway!) At the end of the day if you like the picture then happy days.

well im thinking of getting it blown up and put on either canvas or poster print... and put in the living room as a valantines present for 'wor lass' (my girlfriend for those not geordies) (y)

Anyone know of any good shop/online servies that do good quality prints for cheap prices

I'm sure she will love it! Its really personal and a nice picture.

I see it now.

First reaction, bad use of selective colouring. The lighting is harsh on his face, you've chopped the top of his head off, and he just looks like he wants to sleep, bless him :p

How about this as an alternative:-

Hi and welcome to the forum, he is a cute looking kid and the focus is spot on. I'm not a big fan of selective colouring and in this case, I don't think it ads a huge amount to the photo. In my view, the lighting is a bit harsh, how was it lit? He also looks a tad tired but he looks like a great potential model.

I am getting really wound up with new people always being rudely blasted by the same members. It takes a certain amount of courage to put up your first photo for criticism, and more experienced members should remember that a small amount of gentle guidance is far more valuable than a slating.

When I first joined, I was really helped out by the guys here and I think if the responses were like the ones being given recently I would not have hung around.

And please, no comments like “if you want back slapping go to Flickr”. I am talking about common courtesy and just trying to be nice

thanks shawwellpete,

thanks im made up you think he can be a potential model.. he has a great smile also.. just need to get the chance to catch it.

im not expecting everyone to be up me bum or anything just would like real feedback on how i could improve my images... techniques and so forth...

its ok saying its bright... how would i fix that..

Cheers guys... keep the feedback and your ideas on how i can improve coming... :baby: <-- looks familiar

Hi Andy

He's a smasher but personally I hate dummies and i feel the selective colouring just makes it take over the whole image....i don't suppose you had much control over lighting if you just snapped it. Lets see his gorgeous wee face without that dummy. :)

my gf managed to get one on his birthday after getting his haircut while in a ball pool with her samsung 10mp point and click... he was smiling and had his eyes open (first time ever as he always blinks when theres a flash)

ill try and get that up here asoon as...

i cant comment much as i am new to this myself but maybe if you would have backed off a bit and got all of him in the shot it would have made a better pic. am not a fan of selective colouring but i think a plain b&w would look fantastic. at the end of the day it is down to your personal preferance and if its good for you then surely thats good enough. like has already been said everyone has their own opinion on what they like and dislike you only need to worry about that if you intend to make photography a business. very cute though and yes looks very tired......

thanks mate..

the only reason he is cropped is because he was crawling all over the place and i just managed to dive in front of him and blind him with the flash lol :baby:

Last edited:
Before everything kicks off in here, let me say I like it :D

Although I'm not sure about the selective colouring. It draws more attention to the pacifier than anything else. I think thats the point that Dee was making ;)

But I'm staying out of it! Maybe this image would look better as purely black and white?

when i get home ill make another post to see which people prefer.

the pop colour or B&W. (y)

i did the selective colour at the last minute to give it something else..

I quite like it too, and I know what ShawWellPete means about 'over crit'. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular (honestly) but sometimes I get the feeling people over do it on here sometimes, just for something to say.

By the way, since when was a dummy known as a pacifier? Is that what they're really called now ? :)

Then you know where the ignore feature is, I suggest you use it.

I am sorry, but I am not in the bloody mood today. Take this to PM if you so wish. Apologies to the OP, will stay out of this thread now.

By the way, since when was a dummy known as a pacifier? Is that what they're really called now ? :)

Yeah sorry I meant dummy :nuts:

well im thinking of getting it blown up and put on either canvas or poster print... and put in the living room as a valantines present for 'wor lass' (my girlfriend for those not geordies) (y)

Anyone know of any good shop/online servies that do good quality prints for cheap prices

Hi, I can recommend Togsprint (Lee is a member on here too)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/member.php?u=4305

Very reasonably priced, professional service and a very nice & helpful person too!! also gives discount to TP members

I have had quite a few stretched canvases from togsprint (mostly children/babies) including my own kids, they look absolutley stunning especially blown up large!!

I think "your Lass" would love the pic on canvas!

back to the photo I personally like the tight crop & spot colouring, as a father I know just how big a part the dummy plays in the babies life and for me the picture is telling a story. I can see exactly were you're coming from!

One small crit... I can see a small flesh tone halo around the dummy. If you were to get the image blown up on canvas this will obviously be magnified so may be worth spending a little more time to get a more precise mask.

PS hope you don't mind if I nick your Idea ;)

yes i do mind :LOL:

thanks very much for your interpretation of the image.. .

i will do this again but more carefully.. i did this image at 2am in bed with 'my lass' snoring next to me lol...:baby:

Back