My son sledging - some advice please

Name
Shaun Brown
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this pic yesterday after finding the last of the snow by us, I carnt make my mind up if its ok or not, is it to soft? any comments welcomed as I am still learning and want to see where I am going wrong :help:

IMG_3456copy.jpg

It soes look slightly out of focus/soft, if you set the camera to AI Servo the Af will track the subject better if he's moving, if it's set on one shot and it focuses by the time you've pressed the shutter the subject has moved

No expert myself but i would say it is a bit on the soft side, looks very reminiscent of the type of thing i would get using my now redundant Sigma 55-200 which seemed to throw out nothing but soft images.
You dont say what lens you used, could it be a similar problem.

If the light is low increase the ISO to get at least 1/250 to freeze moving subjects

any comments welcomed as I am still learning and want to see where I am going wrong :help:

Make sure the bottom of the sled is smooth? :D

Agree on the shutter speed for moving subjects - but is this one of those that would benefit from a little movement - you could try you're hand at panning to give a sense of direction, but that would inevitably give you a side on shot, rather than a face-forward shot.

Also, although it's difficult, the composition leads me to want to get rid of the excess legs in the top right - this could be done in post processing though (IE with photoshop etc)

Last edited:
If the light is low increase the ISO to get at least 1/250 to freeze moving subjects

He shot this at 1/320th. f5.6 on a 300mm doesn't give you a lot of DoF. You need to shoot on continuous focus and shoot a burst of shots - just to be sure. Takes practice - but this shot is soft.

Back