my stupid camera lens

Name
sarah lewsey
Edit My Images
Yes
i broke my trusty 70-200 canon lens and brought another1 off ebay sigma 70-210 it stated film and digital but now i realise its only some digital canons so not inpressed . dose any1 else think they shold state that on the listing . but it dose how ever work on all film canon :(

I beleive that sigma can re calibrate them for the newer DSLR's, is somthing to do with the algorithums (or however its spelt)

From what I understand (altho never been through it) is that as Sigma are a 3rd party, they have to backward enginer there lens, they work of current modles, so if Canon change the software in the camera that dose the autofocus ect, then the lens stops working on these new cameras, Sigma can update the lens to work on these cameras though so I understand. Dont know what the cost would be though.

Sigma re-engineered the Canon EF lens mount. When things went digital extra features were introduced that Canon knew all about because they designed the system, but Sigma either didn't know or didn't use these features.

The result is that some older Sigmas need to re-chipped to allow digital use. Not all can.

Yes, the seller should have said (if he knew), but that is the perils of buying secondhand things on Ebay.

if any1 knows how much it would cost please let me know other than that its going back on ebay

What's the full model of the lens? We should be able to work out what the compatible cameras are.

I was under the impression that the Sigma 70-210mm was for film only although I've read that they work on crop bodies like your 350d and not on FF sensors.

it dose how ever work on d30 and d60 and all eos film . think am just going to sell it . not like i know what its worth knowing what i do now lol

So when you sell it, will you be careful to point out to potential buyers that it doesn't work on digital cameras?

have you checked the wording on ebay to see if it says anything you can dispute against???

perhaps if you linked to the item someone might be able to point out where you could find a fault in the wording:shrug:

Quick phone call to Sigma may help. It could be re chipping is all it needs!

Back