My take on Duxford Flying Legends

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
No
It was hot, Exposure was a problem but we brought a few home.

Comments are always welcome as usual.

yellow-biplane.jpg

2. The guy's that make the show possible. (Top Gun style)
pilot.jpg

dakota-closeup.jpg

dakota-norway.jpg

memphis-bell.jpg

mew-gull=1.jpg

mustang-closeup.jpg

mustang=1.jpg

mustang=3.jpg

mustangs-pair.jpg

navy.jpg

flypass.jpg

sea-hawk.jpg

spitfire-close.jpg

spitfire=3.jpg

Wouldn't Duxford make a great meet next year?

As always Tim spot on mate - looks like you had a good day - wish I could of joined you :)

Great stuff BB. Staggerwing is very punchy and the Skyraider is ace too.:clap:
Dean:)

Really nice shots, if I was the guy in the 2nd shot I would be wanting a copy of that its very nicely done, as for the others they are superb.

Stunning! (y)
Just a minor comment, I think I would have prefered to see the rest of #14
but If I had to choose it woudl be the bi-plane by a gnats-cock

Stunning! (y)
Just a minor comment, I think I would have prefered to see the rest of #14
but If I had to choose it woudl be the bi-plane by a gnats-cock

Chris.

In fact I have the whole Spitfire in shot but as it was sharp I cropped it to make a change..:D

Do you like this Mustang in full frame..:p

old-crow.jpg

Great shots Tim :clap: , but was my favourite there - Sea Fury ?

BTW is Elvington on this year ?

Lovely shots there Tim, there all crackers, but no2, no7 and no11 are my picks, really wish I could have made this one :-(

Alan

:eek:

great set that tim
n0 8 i really like prob because i can see the ground " i get the feeling of movement" i know what i mean :shrug:
anyhow very good mate thanks for sharing...

Lovely shots there Tim, there all crackers, but no2, no7 and no11 are my picks, really wish I could have made this one :-(

Alan

Thanks Alan.

Are you going to Breighton next Saturday.:naughty:

We are doing Breighton Saturday then travelling immediatly south and staying at a Travel Lodge at Bicester (Cherwell Valley) on Saturday night ready for Riat (Fairford) early Sunday morning. Staying Sunday night too for the departures on Monday..(y)

Should be good subject to the weather..:)

All good shots (y)

Tim, damn !, didn't know about Breighton next week, I'm booked for going to Croft.

Alan

Tim, damn !, didn't know about Breighton next week, I'm booked for going to Croft.

Alan

Sod Croft Alan, Get down to Breighton, Its your turn for the breakfasts..:D

I paid last time..:crying:

Was Duxford a 2 day thing? I got caught in a lot of unexpected traffic on the M11 today towards the end of my 467 mile return drive from Scotland today!

More than a bit tired now but the shots of that silver thing (Dakota Norway :) ) caught my eye. Think I'd agree with Oldgit about the rest :)

Absolutely excellent series - and there was me not far down the road seeing the odd arrival going over the Ely area in the distance cutting my grass!

Cool, was there today, just walked thru the door, will post some pics soon

Did anyone see the characters that were attending....:D

This chap was the life and soul of the event....NOT!!!!:LOL:

happy-official.jpg

Obviously this bloke was totally impressed by the event too, Fast asleep..:LOL:

chin-strap.jpg

Busterboy
fantastic shots there,
Would you mind telling what you used and settings please?
Im just starting out with a bridging camera the FZ20 and will move up when finances allow especially as we have 5 kids.
You can all have a laugh at my bad experiance...
I had previously in the year been to old warden and my pics were not good at all and put it down to the weatehr conditions.
I hoped for better at flying legends with better weather.
I and my second youngest went down for both days, however i had to bin most of my shots there and then and only statics any good at all.
I had hoped to get spits wildcat and lanc for myself and corsairs for my son.
After getting back from work today i had an idea to check my camera focus setting.... the continous focus was turned off..........DOH.Doh...
So i had been getting focus and then panning but all the time it got closer the focus was out by the time i took the shot.
All the best,
James

Busterboy
fantastic shots there,
Would you mind telling what you used and settings please?
Im just starting out with a bridging camera the FZ20 and will move up when finances allow especially as we have 5 kids.
You can all have a laugh at my bad experiance...
I had previously in the year been to old warden and my pics were not good at all and put it down to the weatehr conditions.
I hoped for better at flying legends with better weather.
I and my second youngest went down for both days, however i had to bin most of my shots there and then and only statics any good at all.
I had hoped to get spits wildcat and lanc for myself and corsairs for my son.
After getting back from work today i had an idea to check my camera focus setting.... the continous focus was turned off..........DOH.Doh...
So i had been getting focus and then panning but all the time it got closer the focus was out by the time i took the shot.
All the best,
James

Camera settings were a mixed bunch James, Conditions were difficult with the sun in your face in the morning and adding to the problems you had really nice blue clouds in between almost black clouds at times..:(

As for your camera settings mate, Check and double check, Its a long way to go only to arrive home with a bin full of rubbish because you had the wrong settings dialled in..:bang:

Good luck at future events and keep at it, Practice makes perfect..(y)

Wanna fly.... wanna fly..... wanna fly......!!!

Great shots Tim. Oh give me any one of them :LOL:

Wanna fly.... wanna fly..... wanna fly......!!!

Great shots Tim. Oh give me any one of them :LOL:

Thanks Gary, Can you fly inverted in your microlight..:nuts:

wingwalkers-inverted.jpg

As for your camera settings mate, Check and double check, Its a long way to go only to arrive home with a bin full of rubbish because you had the wrong settings dialled in..:bang:

Good luck at future events and keep at it, Practice makes perfect..(y)

Thanks Busterboy for the reply.

I live in Doncaster and on lousy 10 till 6 shift saturday but off sunday and hope to get to Breighton.
Thanks again and all the ebst,
James

Cracking shots Tim - all of them. Slight. SLIGHT grumble would be variations in prop blur: some spot on, some a bit static. But, given conditions, impressive. Were you:

a) using a very high stepladder
or
b) using fancy long lenses again

;)

(y)

Great set Tim as everyone above has stated. I was probably just a little down from you but came home with a load of rubbish to be honest (although I still really enjoyed the day :) ).

I was looking at your exif data and was surprised you were using 50 ISO. I would have got lots of shake at that speed (assume you were using the 400 f5.6). I was trying speeds between 1/200 and 1/500 for prop blur (and 1/60 - 1/200 when they were taxi-ing past) but never got a satisfactory result. I must try harder to avoid camera shake. I noticed a couple of guys near me using tripods with gimbal heads. I tried a monopod for a short while but found it too awkward. What's your set-up Tim ? All handheld ?

Ray

PS What's the variety of planes at Breighton like ? Might get up there this weekend.

I was looking at your exif data and was surprised you were using 50 ISO. I would have got lots of shake at that speed (assume you were using the 400 f5.6).

Why surprised Ray, There was plenty of bright light on the day for low ISO..:)

Lift the ISO and risk coming home with noisy shots.:thumbsdown:

I was trying speeds between 1/200 and 1/500 for prop blur (and 1/60 - 1/200 when they were taxi-ing past) but never got a satisfactory result. I must try harder to avoid camera shake.

I haven't seen your style Ray but just relax with the camera and let it flow through the panning, Don't grip it too tight..;)

I noticed a couple of guys near me using tripods with gimbal heads. I tried a monopod for a short while but found it too awkward. What's your set-up Tim ? All handheld ?

Anyone using a tripod with a smallish lens "ie" 100-400mm or similar is just handicapping themselves IMO. All my shots were handheld, Some taken with my 300mm f/2.8L IS and others with a 400mm f/5.6L..:) Having said that I am a big chap and handling these isn't a problem..:)

I have a Gitzo Tripod and Gimball head for use with my 500mm F.4L IS doing the birding stuff but fast traveling planes need a smooth action or you come away with lots of OOF shots..:help:

PS What's the variety of planes at Breighton like ? Might get up there this weekend.

Breighton is awesome Ray, You will never get closer to the action anywhere in the UK than this place, Using a 135mm you can fill the frame as they are passing, The variety of old planes is fantastic and well worth a visit mate.

You will not be disappointed I can assure you..(y)

The number 2 image of the re enactors ... the reflection in his left lens makes it look like his eye is vissible through the lens and its slanted and deformed.
Facilitating the need for shades.
Still love the shot though.
Hope i have better luck at breighton as i live in doncaster and hope to go sunday as im working 10am till 6 pm saturday.
As per my rota.
All the best,
james

Some really nice shots there, I don't want to post mine now. I'm impressed with the panning shots especially.

It was hot, Exposure was a problem but we brought a few home.
Not too much of a problem by the looks of it, cracking shots. Why don't we get stuff like that up here :bang:

Thanks for all the advice Tim. I'll just go and check the Breighton website for this weekend's details.

Ray

Back