My trip into london.

Dal

Is always right
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Went into london with a few mates last night (they are photographers) so we kinda rushed from spot to spot and i was helping them out a bit.

i'm not happy with the results i've got. it seems my manfrotto tripod isnt as sturdy as i thought, so going to use the timer more often now.

any tips or advice as i should be making a return visit next week.

DSC_0034copy.jpg

DSC_0054copy.jpg

DSC_0061copy.jpg

DSC_0065copy.jpg

DSC_0066copy.jpg

DSC_0068copy.jpg

DSC_0073copy.jpg

DSC_0096copy.jpg

oh and Yes i did get stopped by the police at canary wharf and got warned about taking photo's. comes under the anti-terrorism act lol.

First 6 look ok to me.(y) Nice colours. The last couple are not quite so interesting.

Good shots

Canary Wharf 'police' (really security guards in a uniform that looks like police) are a joke. They have a go at SLR users but freely allow all the tourists with point and shoots and camera phones, because obviously a terrorist would use a big visible camera wouldnt they!

Did you get any trouble at the Eye?

Also, that shot looking at Canary Wharf with the Dome in the foreground - where's that taken from?

Not so keen on the last one.
No4 just needs a tighter crop (not as tight as no5) to avoid the shadow on the bottom left.

I would assume that you used a tripod for most of those shots?

Eeverson - I wan thinking of cropping it so it’s a a wide photo but not high but I thought the water looked good with the refelctions. Might try cropping it to see how it looks.

Weggy - I spoke to one of the Canary Wharf police the other week and I can apply for a Media Pass which allows me to use the tripod, he said I cant use a tripod on the island as it falls under health and safety lol, incase someone falls over it, how stupid is that. Gonna see how I get on taking photo's around there on Friday night. Sure I wont be allowed but its worth a try.
Did have anyone say anything at the London Eye, was left well alone there.
The shot of the docklands with the Dome in the foreground is taken from the Thames Barrier. To the left of that shot is where the police stopped us. Cant make out the bridge there.

Hatjag - yeah tripod for every shot. Although it doesn’t seem like it with some other photo's I've taken, need to hang my bag off the tripod to keep it sturdy I think.

LOL, that's why they're so useless! How does having a media pass stop people from tripping over a tripod?!?! :LOL: :LOL:

In your close up shot of the towers, im in the light brown one on the fair left... you can just about see me waving :D

LOL, that's why they're so useless! How does having a media pass stop people from tripping over a tripod?!?! :LOL: :LOL:

In your close up shot of the towers, im in the light brown one on the fair left... you can just about see me waving :D

it did make me chuckle when they said that.

I don’t let anyone near my camera gear while I'm taking photo's lol. So there's no chance anyone would fall over it.

Do they have the powers of arrest??

Do you work in the towers, cant see what bit your on about as I cant view the pictures at the moment.

Nice photos and I pretty much agree with what others have said.

I photographed Canary Wharf a few months back with a mate and was really disappointed not to get stopped. I had an email from their press office saying if it was for personal use I didn't need a pass and if anyone asked just show them the email. I was all geared up for a 'you don't know what you're tlaking about' rant at a security guard and it never happened. I though it particularly odd considering I had my 70-200.2.8 on the camera most of the time. Security even walked past us a few times and never said anything. The only people who spoke to us were a couple asking if we could recommend a camera and someone else asking if anything exciting was about to happen that we were going to be photographing.

it did make me chuckle when they said that.

I don’t let anyone near my camera gear while I'm taking photo's lol. So there's no chance anyone would fall over it.

Do they have the powers of arrest??

Do you work in the towers, cant see what bit your on about as I cant view the pictures at the moment.

The tripod thing is pathetic. I've seen TV crews, during rush hour, with huge tripods, people up ladders, film crews in cherry pickers... all with hundreds of people moving around them. Spooks is one that comes to mind... a massive crew here for that

In your 6th photo, there's a tower on the far left... it has an orange light on the top left of it... I'm on the 29th floor of it and my window faces out to the Dome and the Thames Barrier...

Security here have no powers of arrest as far as I'm aware. Makes me laugh as some of them walk around with sniffer dogs too. I dread to think what would happen if something serious happened here.

Nice photos and I pretty much agree with what others have said.

I photographed Canary Wharf a few months back with a mate and was really disappointed not to get stopped. I had an email from their press office saying if it was for personal use I didn't need a pass and if anyone asked just show them the email. I was all geared up for a 'you don't know what you're tlaking about' rant at a security guard and it never happened. I though it particularly odd considering I had my 70-200.2.8 on the camera most of the time. Security even walked past us a few times and never said anything. The only people who spoke to us were a couple asking if we could recommend a camera and someone else asking if anything exciting was about to happen that we were going to be photographing.

I've walked around here with my 1d and 100-400 before and not been stopped. Yet I've walked round with the 400d and 18-55 and been stopped. Make sense of that!

The tripod thing is pathetic. I've seen TV crews, during rush hour, with huge tripods, people up ladders, film crews in cherry pickers... all with hundreds of people moving around them. Spooks is one that comes to mind... a massive crew here for that

In your 6th photo, there's a tower on the far left... it has an orange light on the top left of it... I'm on the 29th floor of it and my window faces out to the Dome and the Thames Barrier...

Security here have no powers of arrest as far as I'm aware. Makes me laugh as some of them walk around with sniffer dogs too. I dread to think what would happen if something serious happened here.

i bet the views are fantastic up there. u got any pics from up there???

I think its the tripod that does it. I was turfed out of the station at Canary wharf and then pulled up outside 5 mins after by the Wharf polizei. Also I was pulled up in St Katherines dock for the same reason and to top it off I got the boot from the forecourt of the building next to the 'Helmet' (Kens office). Why are they so uptight about tripods????

Nice shots btw

Right, I'm going out up here, armed with tripod and a copy of the Photographers Rights PDF...

Those pics are so good they nearly make up for England having a crap footy team. Nearly.

Are they coloured or is that how it is?

Gareth

Just a couple that I quickly did when a new lens arrived... will be trying to get some more soon.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=36306

WOW, now thats what i call a view, god knows how you get any work done with that outside your window.

Can you get visitors passes??? :thinking:

Gaffzilla - They are tweaked in photoshop slightly. my camera seems to put an orange glow on everything and i cant figure out why, so i usually correct them in CS2 later on.

i think the London Eye received the most tweaking.

WOW, now thats what i call a view, god knows how you get any work done with that outside your window.

Can you get visitors passes??? :thinking:

Work?!?! :LOL:

Have my stuff with me tonight, so am hoping for a lovely clear night and a cracking sunset like last night.

Used to be able to get visitors passes a few years ago, not since 9/11 though :(

Back