My website. Feedback please.

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
Well after many emails between me an surrealillusions my website is finally up and running. Took a while but I am very happy and grateful to Nick for doing the webiste itself and the help and support he has provided.

Last night it took a turn for the worst when I managed to deleteit :LOL: :confused:

Anyway it is up and running and is just going to get a few tweaks here and there :)

www.mattsayle.co.uk

:)

Not trying to be funny here, but if you're presenting a site that might make you some money in commissions the last thing you want is a link at the bottom of your page to someone else who does something extremely similar.

Apart from that the site is nice and simple, clean and fairly straight forward to use. I would reorder the navigation though, about should come near the start and the contact page somewhere near the end.

The site map is not a priority navigation item and should be linked somewhere in the footer. If anything a search box should be there in its place.

Your site should also have an RSS feed somewhere, especially if you're going to be updating it regularly and you have a news section.

All in all, a nae bad effort :)

Not trying to be funny here, but if you're presenting a site that might make you some money in commissions the last thing you want is a link at the bottom of your page to someone else who does something extremely similar.

Apart from that the site is nice and simple, clean and fairly straight forward to use. I would reorder the navigation though, about should come near the start and the contact page somewhere near the end.

The site map is not a priority navigation item and should be linked somewhere in the footer. If anything a search box should be there in its place.

Your site should also have an RSS feed somewhere, especially if you're going to be updating it regularly and you have a news section.

All in all, a nae bad effort :)

Thank you very much Kayjay :)

No worries mate. It's a great feeling to have your own site up and running eh? Make sure you build on it though, keep it fresh.

No worries mate. It's a great feeling to have your own site up and running eh? Make sure you build on it though, keep it fresh.

Yeah I will. I will try not to delete it again like I did last night LOL.

Cant wait to show it off. I am very proud of it :)

I like your minimalist approach to content, Matt :LOL:

Seriously though, apart from the missing apostrophe in "don't" it looks pretty good to me so far (y)

I know nothing about web design,just to say I'd personally like to see a bit of colour injected in there and perhaps a home page photo ? :thinking:
(each to their own though and by no means a criticism)
At least you're up and running,best of luck (y)

I know nothing about web design,just to say I'd personally like to see a bit of colour injected in there and perhaps a home page photo ? :thinking:
(each to their own though and by no means a criticism)
At least you're up and running,best of luck (y)

They are coming. I have emailed them to nick so them should be up in the next week or so. (depening on Nicks work.)

Thank you!!

For a photography website there is a distinct lack of images on any of the section pages.

The "gallery" looks very basic; the thumbnails are different sizes and not aligned.

i would agree with mhuk, bit more presentation possible in the gallery!

It seems like a lot of the earlier crit has been sorted, but when I looked at it this morning it seemed very right heavy, ie lots of space on the left, but needed to scroll to see the full text on the right...

Why the strange date format which seems to make little sense to me. I'd have thought that DDMMYYYY was more intuitive, if you must have the year first (and I don't see any reason for it) then YYYYMMDD is better. There is one gallery that is almost exclusively Porsches, why not make it all Porsches?

The site is nice and simple, it's easy to use and navigate. Looks good to me.

Why the strange date format which seems to make little sense to me. I'd have thought that DDMMYYYY was more intuitive, if you must have the year first (and I don't see any reason for it) then YYYYMMDD is better.

Good point, but theres a valid reason for it.

The date is like that for listing them in the correct order, as its the way the code reads the directories.

One of the things on the 'to do' list is to rename it slightly differently so to make it read better for the end user..but what seems like a simple change to you, is actually a big change in code ;)

I don't know if it's a huge change in code but you could just do this... assuming you're using php

$date = date('d m Y', $directoryDate);

$directoryDate being the date returned from the code that reads the date of the directory, in Timestamp format.

Looks nice, clean, easy to nagivate.

One slight grumble is the gallery, i have to scroll down...much prefer if i don't and put the images on multiple pages.

Just my 2p.

it looks good to me - if you are looking for helpful comments, I think maybe you have too many photos in your gallery. maybe just pick a few of your very best and show them off?

I like it Matt, clean and simple to use (like me really).

Andy

Looks nice, clean, easy to nagivate.

One slight grumble is the gallery, i have to scroll down...much prefer if i don't and put the images on multiple pages.

Just my 2p.

I hate clicking through multiple pages. Each to there own :)

it looks good to me - if you are looking for helpful comments, I think maybe you have too many photos in your gallery. maybe just pick a few of your very best and show them off?

I cant pick out a few I always use loads :LOL:

Back