my wife just bought me a treat

Edit My Images
Yes
hi all

i have a question to ask.
my wife went out today and came home with a present for me.
she bought me a nikon d5200 with vr lens and a 5omm f1.8 nikkor lens.

usually she would ask me to go with her but she wanted to get me a surprise and she just said i should join a forum to ask if the kit is ok for beginners, if not we can go change it.
she also bought me a new laptop to edit photos as ours isnt that powerful.

cheers all and i look forward to your replies

mat

p.s
im just going to post in the new members page

What a great gift!....about all I can say as I know nothing about Nikons but I'd say you'll definitely enjoy it :)

well tbh i did fancy a canon, i dont know why i guess being new canon just seemed like a more recognised name to me.
i may be wrong but i guess most entry level dslr are kind of the same.

i asked the wife why she chose it and her reply was " it has 39 auto focus points, i dont hve a clue what they re for but 39 has to be better than 9" :thinking:

well tbh i did fancy a canon, i dont know why i guess being new canon just seemed like a more recognised name to me.

i asked the wife why she chose it and her reply was " it has 39 auto focus points, i dont hve a clue what they re for but 39 has to be better than 9" :thinking:
nah your ok with nikon, just as good one of the 2 top names. ...did i mention :nikon: welcome to the forum enjoy your camera.

Ive got a nikon D3200, another entry level DSLR and I have never used canon cameras so I cant comment. However I have had no problems with my nikon camera and lenses. The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens that is great for portraits and other general use. By VR lens I assume you mean the 18-55mm kit lens, also this is great for beginners. The kit you have should be great for your use :)

She must really love you or maybe an excuse so that you splash out for her birthday :clap:

great camera & lens - I have just bought the D5100 with kit lens & 18-105mm but looking to getting a 50mm prime soon.

Welcome to the forum (y)

hi all

usually she would ask me to go with her but she wanted to get me a surprise and she just said i should join a forum to ask if the kit is ok for beginners, if not we can go change it.

mat

p.s

I don't know much about nikons either but I'd have to say your wife must really love you to by you two lovely gifts like that. I am certain once you have mastered the basics you will have great fun with it. And this is the best place to help you learn.

Niko

nikon...canon...sony etc etc....all very good cameras and arguments from all sides to which are the best....ignore them and enjoy your excellent camera.
Maybe have a look through the flickr group to see what it can produce....
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d5200/

Welcome to the forum ... 1st enjoy learning to use your new camera ... then spend some time trying to figure out what she broke! :D

There seems to be a lot of suspicious people on here..............

She's doesn't want a baby does she :LOL:
50mm f1.8 would a nice lens for new born shots ;)

Last edited:
Hi Mat,

You don't say what level beginner you are - but the camera your wife has bought you is very good.
More of a Mid range DSLR but you will be able to grow into it.

Congratulations.

Is the 50mm the AF-S version? Otherwise you may wonder why it doesn't autofocus.

Amazing gift though!

A great gift indeed, but you do realise that you have just stepped on the slippery slope to ruin.:clap: :canon:

Is the 50mm the AF-S version? Otherwise you may wonder why it doesn't autofocus.

Amazing gift though!
he's a beginner probably don't have a clue what your talking about.give the guy a chance. if its not afs the sales rep at the shop needs a kick up the ask no questions.

D5200 is a decent lower-middle range dSLR. If you're a beginner, it will serve you well for many years of learning.
However, a potential problem is that not all Nikkor "autofocus" lenses will focus on these cameras. There are two Nikkor autofocus 50mm f/1.8 lenses on the market, and only one of them will autofocus on this camera.

hi all

...she also bought me a new laptop to edit photos as ours isnt that powerful.

Golly :D

The best advice I can give is that you should read the manual from cover to cover to learn how the camera works and (if you are completely new to this...) start to learn about the exposure triangle of ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Learning a little about depth of field (DoF) might be useful too other than that I think you should shoot and review your shots and see if you're happy or need to improve in any way.

I think you should also look at shooting raw and processing your own files to get the best out of them. You may well have got some processing software with your camera but if not or if you don't like it there are free processing packages you could download and others that you pay for.

Good luck and enjoy your new toys! :D

Well you wife has good taste, welcome to the nut house look forward to seeing some of your shots.

hi all

mat

p.s
I wish I had a wife like yours!

D5200 is a decent lower-middle range dSLR. If you're a beginner, it will serve you well for many years of learning.
However, a potential problem is that not all Nikkor "autofocus" lenses will focus on these cameras. There are two Nikkor autofocus 50mm f/1.8 lenses on the market, and only one of them will autofocus on this camera.

Firstly, welcome to TP, I hope we can answer any questions that your manual can't.

IF the 50mm lens you have isn't an AF-S one and was bought with the camera, you'll be able to return it no problem as unfit for purpose - it was obviously sold to be used with that camera so should be the correct type.

As has been said above, photography can be an expensive hobby if you let it but it is also extremely rewarding to see something that YOU made, especially if (like me) you can't draw the curtains! Enjoy.

I don't know much about nikons either but I'd have to say your wife must really love you to by you two lovely gifts like that. I am certain once you have mastered the basics you will have great fun with it. And this is the best place to help you learn.

Perhaps he`s was really GIB (Good in Bed) last night

Firstly, welcome to TP, I hope we can answer any questions that your manual can't.

IF the 50mm lens you have isn't an AF-S one and was bought with the camera, you'll be able to return it no problem as unfit for purpose - it was obviously sold to be used with that camera so should be the correct type.

As has been said above, photography can be an expensive hobby if you let it but it is also extremely rewarding to see something that YOU made, especially if (like me) you can't draw the curtains! Enjoy.
It's not really unfit for purpose. I shot with a 50mm AF on a D3000 and a D5100 for many months before upgrading to the AF-S. Many people do. It works perfectly well, you just have to focus it manually, and either use your eyes or the focus indicator in the viewfinder.
I would also expect the shop to explain the difference between AF and AF-S if the camera and lens were bought together, however.

thanks for all the replies

ive been messing around with the camera today and have to say I love it.
the lens is the af-s version so all good there.

as to why she bought it, who knows lol
its her birthday today, we have a 2 week old son so its neither of them 2

so I guess its because im GIB ;), but im not blowing my own trumpet ( no pun intended )

even the laptop she bought is not to bad, amd a10, 8gb ram 1tb hdd so hope fully will last a while.

thanks again for the replies and I look forward to taking some half decent pics to show you guys

mat

Hi Mat and welcome.:)

I can recommend the Nikon Capture NX2 software to edit your pics. (y)

Can I ask whereabouts you are, as there may be suggestions for good camera shops who could help you get the best out of your camera?

Edit. Just read your intro post! Park Cameras at Burgess Hill are very good, but might be a bit far from Southampton!

P.S. Who's a (very) lucky boy, then? :D

Heather

Last edited:
hi Heather

im in Southampton.
I got nx2 with my camera so will be having a try of that later.

so far im having great fun although its a little complicated trying to shoot in manual mode

mat

Back