Mystical Rocks

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm aware that it is a tried and tested formula and I'm sure that every good photographer will have done it at some point or other but about an hour ago I took myself down to the beach as I wanted to try taking some mystical rocks-type pictures.
But since it was all new and experimental for me, and I must say it's not at all bad for a first attempt!
Taken with my D40 at Folkestone's East Cliff at between 8.45 pm and 9.30 pm. I took loads of pictures but I considered the following four to be the best of the bunch. The sea was quite calm with only small ripple type-wavelets that made just about enough splashbacks on the rocks to let me get what I needed.

1) 3 secs exposure, high F number.

mysticrocks4.jpg

Then as it grew darker and I kept the shutter open for longer to compensate, the effect became more interesting. I kept the Fs high and tight throughout.

2)

mysticrocks2.jpg

3)

mysticrocks3.jpg

4) This one I altered the contrast just ever so slightly to bring out the "glow" effect. I think this was a 10 seconds long exposure as it was twilight at the time.

mysticrocks.jpg

I'm aware that there are some distractions in the horizon and it's not techincially spot-on perfect so any hints and tips on how to perfect this technique would be most handy.
Like I said, this was more of a trial run for me, and I must say it has been quite a success! And it helped me to understand my camera's manual functions more, so all in all it's been a good session for me.

Last edited:
i like the first and last, not sure the pier adds anything tbh :D

;) :D Thanks for the kind comment. This is it, the pier was "in the way" whereever I placed myself, but since it was a trial run I went ahead with it and worry about backgrounds and such like at the next attempt. :) There is another section of beach that offers the same kind of set up but without anything in the horizon, but it involves a good half hour walk to get there. Here, this was literally a stone's throw from my home. :)

Definitely the first one!

Love the openness and the clouds add great detail :)

Nice set ian - I've never tried this sort of stuff but its on the list :)

Hard to pick a fave but I think I like 1 and 4 best - perhaps because of the pier!

Nicely done! (y)

Thanks for the kind comments, Andy and John. Now I've come back to look over my pictures with a fresh mind and try and pretend I'm looking at someone else's pictures, I found myself really liking them!
Definitely going to give it another go, where the tide will be lower (it was high tide when I took those pictures), there'll be bigger wave motions and perhaps the sky will take on a different look and colour. This was also taken on a sandy beach, there is a pebble one on the other side of the pier so will try it on that. :)

Nice set Ian - the colour and reflection in no 4 for me.

Thanks for taking a peek at this thread and leaving those lovely comments everyone. Still feeling very chuffed over those pictures. :) :) :) Now all I need is a decent coloured sunset to really make some marvellous misty rocks shots (along with a clutter free background :D). May have to wear wellies, or even sandals for my next attempt, though. :)

I really like number 4, it's the one for me that's captured that mystical feel and works as it's all natural rooks. There is something about that pillar top in all the others that's putting me off.

I think that somehow, in my head, it's giving me the finger. :LOL:

The first and the last are definitely the best in my opinion.
I agree that the pier isn't needed in the other two :)
nicely done.
Im yet to do this actually haha I might have to zip down to folkestone soon to do it ;)

First and last, ALL the way :D The first has such a nice minimal feel to it, very calming. I would hang it on a wall in the right type of decor.

Gary.

Back