Name a bird

Need to say this but--WOW.. We now have 600 replies and over 10,000 views, that is a big achievement for a section of the forum which had some recent bad publicity. It goes to show when push come to shove that we are all here for the one reason and like it or not we have more in common than we think. Thanks to everyone who has contributed and has just viewed along the way...I am thinking now that this is the most successful thread( stickies not included) on this section. Congrats to all who have made this thread what it is.

Erm, no nightjars then? :)

I'm just about picking up on the idea that there has been some sort of contretemps in this section before I started looking at it (and indeed this website). If so, I'm glad it seems to be over. There have been some really stunning and inspirational images on this thread (as well as in the rest of the section) which have been a pleasure to see as someone starting down this road.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't read it that way at all, sorry! If Mark meant to bring it to a close then fine.

I think we need a ruling. :)

Red-necked Phalarope (Taken a few years ago)

Red-crested Pochard next .

Last edited:
Sorry not to respond - I've been away! I was looking forward to adding my own red-necked phalarope pic. Not that it's that brilliant.........

Joe, I'm just wondering why your gull is not a lesser black-back?

when Joe saw it and where would help ……. presumably S Coast of UK in summer?

Herring Gull also comes into play …….. interesting to explore the ID as Gulls are always difficult

Last edited:
That's a great photo for comparison purposes, Michael; I note the sub-adult feathers in Joe's bird, but it also confirms my belief that Joe's bird is a LBB. But life's far too short for arguing about the identification of gulls.

There's some rather odd gulls around Skokholm island where at some stage in the past a warden or researcher swapped eggs between the nests of herring gulls and lesser black backs so that the resultant offspring were confused about which species they were! They then mated with either LBB or herring and had young. Hence the confusion.

Back