Nandita the baby elephant at Chester Zoo

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of a grab shots at the Zoo from the crowds around the enclosure, but may be of interest as it's the newest arrival in the herd, the full story is here.

Couldn't get a good angle to avoid the rock as the mother was being very protective and staying towards the back of the enclosure whilst I was there, all the more reason for an other visit soon :)

Baby elephant at Chester Zoo
by Matt, on Flickr

New arrival at Chester Zoo
by Matt, on Flickr

Last edited:
How cute is that :love:

All about right time,right place. A great capture and high quality shots.

I saw the Zoo's video (your link) and was intrigued about the circling and ground digging going on so I googled it and here are photos from the wild with exactly the same behaviour of course and an explanation. Efforts are now being made to get people in the Far East to see see such events and show how family-orientated the elephants are and how protective they are to each other in an attempt to try and at least massively reduce and hopefully stop altogether the trade in ivory and horn of rhinos.There's a belief that the buyers don't associate the end product with real animals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108183/Herd-elephants-huddles-round-female-gives-birth.html

Well caught Matt. It looks as though Chester are having a good year - tiger cubs in the spring and now a delightful elephant calf.

Will you be TPs correspondent, keeping us up to date on progress?

Chris

Keep meaning to take a trip to Chester, even more so when I see shots like this. First one my favourite, even in a captive environment they still are extremely protective of the calf.

A couple of very good image Matt, I really like the compression you've got in the first one.(y)

George.

All about right time,right place. A great capture and high quality shots.

I saw the Zoo's video (your link) and was intrigued about the circling and ground digging going on so I googled it and here are photos from the wild with exactly the same behaviour of course and an explanation. Efforts are now being made to get people in the Far East to see see such events and show how family-orientated the elephants are and how protective they are to each other in an attempt to try and at least massively reduce and hopefully stop altogether the trade in ivory and horn of rhinos.There's a belief that the buyers don't associate the end product with real animals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108183/Herd-elephants-huddles-round-female-gives-birth.html

Let's hope they are successful, they are such intelligent animals and form amazingly cohesive family groups that it almost defies belief someone would kill them for what is essentially a bit of bone growing out of their head.

Well caught Matt. It looks as though Chester are having a good year - tiger cubs in the spring and now a delightful elephant calf.

Will you be TPs correspondent, keeping us up to date on progress?

Chris

Ha! I wish I had the opportunity, but if I catch anything interesting I'll get it posted

Keep meaning to take a trip to Chester, even more so when I see shots like this. First one my favourite, even in a captive environment they still are extremely protective of the calf.
It's worth the trip if you do, but give it a few more weeks and all of the new Sumatran Island exhibit will be open and the initial crowds gone. Adds significantly to what the zoo's got to show.

A couple of very good image Matt, I really like the compression you've got in the first one.(y)

George.
Thanks George!

Back