NAS audio storage playback on analogue amp

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

We have lots of CDs (who doesn't!) and I have ripped most of them into MP3

We may look to archive the physical discs aware bit want to playback the MP3s. We got a wireless network and a good stereo set up.

Just wondering whether there is such a device that allows us to store the music on the network (eg a NAS network drive maybe??) which can be accessed by something and played through the amp??

Or shall I get an IPod and dock to play the music that way? I like the idea of putting photos and music and docs into a central server at home

Any ideas???

logitech squeezebox would be the first thing that comes to mind.

otherwise yeah there are quite a few devices on the market, WDTV is another but the interface is provided by your TV although this would let you view your photos on the big screen.

depends how you want it to work..

Sonos is another manufacturer worth checking out. They featured a few on the gadget show a few months ago. The sonos seemed to be the one that was easiest to set up and just worked without much fiddling about.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I already have a DLNA tv and bluray so can stream pics to them from laptop but laptop isn't always on and we may look to get more than one laptop soon so I thought a central server might be an answer

I will research those suggestions. Anyone else got any thoughts??

I've got a NAS box with DLNA so I can stream to any DLNA device, it means I can listen to any of my MP3s on my phones / ipad etc (y)

Hi

Just looking at the Squeezebox. Is it just for music? Ideally would like access to files and photos too on the home server

Currently the tv is connected to analogue amp via RCA red and White analogue leads so may not need a box to plug into the amp as may be able to stream music to tv then out to the amp. That sounds more viable. I think a standard NAS drive may suffice.

Any recommendations on NAS drives?? Or other suggestions??

Thanks! Time for more chocolate mmm

If you're ripping CDs it might be worth ripping to FLAC rather than MP3 (actually, I rip to both formats, but that's another story ;)) FLAC is the RAW of the audio world compared to MP3 as the JPEG. I think most systems play FLAC files these days.

Back