NASA Photos - Equipment?

Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
NASA have been working with Nikon since the early 1960's - I'd assume (but have no proof) that it's a custom-build from them, since they dropped film and medium-format earlier this decade.
Big Agencies like NASA have kit that's designed for them and them alone...
Custom sensors, bodies, optics etc...

That particular image was not taken using visible light, like normal photographs, it was taken using ultraviolet light... there is a read up on it here :)

It appears to just be a filter which blocks out all the visible light, but allows for UV light to pass through.. much in the same way the infra red ones work that we all get subjected to after a sunny day :p I may even go as far to presume that the actual sensor isn't too different from what we see in our cameras, probably just bigger and better :LOL:

But I think the biggest I've seen them using was a 400-500mm lens from inside the space station :)

Nikkor 1200-1700 f/5.6-8

Like I said - custom-builds are available. We used these in Northern Ireland for surveillance purposes...
p121700.jpg

Nikkor 1200-1700 f/5.6-8

Like I said - custom-builds are available. We used these in Northern Ireland for surveillance purposes...
p121700.jpg

Very long time, no see. Missing the mesh filter cover and camo tape:D
I spent quite a few romantic nights in a slit trench with a baby quite like her.....................Happy days.

NASA have been working with Nikon since the early 1960's - I'd assume (but have no proof) that it's a custom-build from them, since they dropped film and medium-format earlier this decade.
Big Agencies like NASA have kit that's designed for them and them alone...
Custom sensors, bodies, optics etc...

I saw a pic of a Nikon they use on the shuttle recently.
Think this may be it:-

http://www.nikonweb.com/nasaf4/

Back