Review National Geographic Medium Backpack

Name
Quaker
Edit My Images
Yes
The NatGeo Medium Backpack:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Geographic-NG-5162-Backpack/dp/B000LY5CWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260097516&sr=8-1

Well, I have been pondering for months over a new camera bag but for the life of me I could not find one that I really took a shine too. I dont have much camera kit but what I do have was beginning to become a tight squeeze so I really did need to think about a new bag as I was going out for the day and leaving kit behind to conserve space.

I went into local camera shops but I didn't like the Lowpro, Crumpler or the Kata gear or nothing else for that matter, then after searching on the 'tinternet I came across this one.

I ordered it and its arrived.

First impressions:

1. My kit fits in with space to spare, I have a Nikon D90, a 18-105mm, a 55-200VR and a 50mm f1.8. There is easily space to fit another lens should I get another.

2. The quality is superb, The material is strong and very well lined, the padded compartments are strong and firm I suspect if you were to drop the bag off your shoulder your kit would be fine. Although this is a test I am not prepared to do :)

3. Laptop pocket - I have read many reviews where people have had difficulty with this but I found it to be no problem I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 and have no problen whatsoever getting it in. It doesnt fit through the side pocket but it sliips in though the top pocket with consumate ease. And that will do for me, the fact I cant use the side pocket means nothing to me, I dont see this as a fault just an added extra if you happen to use a netbook.

4. Day Sack Space. The reason I went for this was to combine space for camera kit and space for walking kit. The space in the top compartment will fit your waterproofs, packed lunch, maps etc, Its not big enough for a weekend away but as a day pack, its ideal.

In summary, I love it and I am so glad I took the time to shop around as opposed to jumping in with both feet and getting a bag that didn't suit me personally.

I would be more than happy to recomment it to anyone.

If you have a hang up over the side zip pocket for the laptop pocket then maybe this bag is not for you but if you are happy to exert a tiny bit more energy and open the top flap to access it which would take just 2-3 seconds then go get one. They are brilliant.

I have seen them priced at £130. £98 at Warehouse Express but I got mine from Amazon for £71 inc P&P

Last edited:
Can anybody comment on using large version of this bag for hiking and camping. Can I get a camera, two lenses including hoods, tripod, one ND, one CPL, first aid, food for two days, sleeping bag and possibly two man tent in there [well I guess on the outside attached :p] plus a place to store/hold water for the one day untill we reach camp sites where water is usually available?

I don't know if the OP saw the large version in a shop because nowhere seems to stock them, but supposedly the Large version is massive. Some say it'll hold enough others disagree does anyone own the large bag

I assume it's waterproof or has waterproof cover?

Nice review and thanks to anyone who's able to advise it will be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Hello Josh,

I had the same problem when looking into the Medium back pack, no-one stocks them so I just chanced it and ordered one.

I have mine at the side of me now, in it I have a Nikon D90, a 35mm, 50mm, 18-105mm, 55-200mm lenses all incl hoods, battery charger and cable various filters, SD cards etc etc. There is plenty of room for my kit. The other storage compartment is probably smaller than what you require but I can still get in my Barber jacket and my lunch. I would imagine the large version of the bag has a lot more storage than mine.

As for water carriage, there are two fold-away water bottle pouches on either side, same as the large bag. They come with extra straps so you can attach kit to the sides like your tripod for instance. A sleeping bag would easily attach to the top of the bag.

The bag is shower proof but if it is teaming down there is an elasticated waterproof cover that comes with it.

I have had mine for a couple of months I have to say its an excellent bit of kit, I took it to the autoshow in Birmingham on Saturday and carried it about all day, it is comfortable and easy to use and I wouldn't be without it.

Its a high quality bag.

Cheers

Mark

Not sure if this is any use to you:
http://www.supporthexperience.com/

Last edited:
Thanks Mark, that looks interesting, might take a chance on the large bag!

Thanks Mark, that looks interesting, might take a chance on the large bag!

Josh,

Where abouts in the country are you? I have the large bag and if nearby could meet up somewhere to show you if you wanted.

I'm off work tomorrow morning so could take a few pics if you wanted to give you an idea of size but I dont think you will be dissapointed as per Mark's response it is a very good quality bag more than enough room for a fair bit of kit and has lots of pockets for stuff

Steve.

Thank you for your offer Steve, I'm a few hours away at least and couldn't do anything this week anyway. But if you can get a few piccys mailed over it would be great!!

josh. emerson @ btintern et.com

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Thank you for your offer Steve, I'm a few hours away at least and couldn't do anything this week anyway. But if you can get a few piccys mailed over it would be great!!

josh. emerson @ btintern et.com

Thanks in advance,
Josh

At work for the night will take some snaps in the morning when I get in and send them over

I've got the large bag too, its heavy, I have a bad back but it spreads the load so well I can use it all day.

I've currently got a gripped 20d, 5d, 300 f2.8, 70-200f 2.8, 24-105f4, 20-40 f2.8, 580ex, loads of batteries cables waterproofs and room for my laptop in back.

Great bit of kit!

I got mine shipped from canada in the end saved a bucket load!

HTH
J

Back