Natural Light Portrait

the shadow...imho although is avante garde to me...i guess has a purpose
i like the portrait but find that tension not making me able to concentrate on the sitter...the near by reflection in a mirror is a better way to give a 180* view and quite calmer

i think your lighting is a bit harsh and although you wanted to use natural light..reflecting it is still allowed

cheers
geof

the shadow...imho although is avante garde to me...i guess has a purpose
i like the portrait but find that tension not making me able to concentrate on the sitter...the near by reflection in a mirror is a better way to give a 180* view and quite calmer

i think your lighting is a bit harsh and although you wanted to use natural light..reflecting it is still allowed

cheers
geof

Hi Geof, Hope you're keeping well mate.

The sun yesterday just broke under the cloud cover before setting and most nights I curse it because it hits me right in my eyes when I'm trying to watch CBBC but that night it couldn't have been better timed. Wife was ready to go out, I had my camera to hand, her sister late, sun broke through and bingo here we go. Grab shot.

Thanks Geof.

This is taken using a 35mm F1.4L wide open on a 5D MkII. I've only had this lens a week but absolutely love it. There is just something about L primes, which make me go all gooey inside and it isnt just about the low light and shallow DOF capabilities . Wish I'd discovered them sooner. Just sorting out an 85mm at the moment!

Last edited:
Great photo Marcus, loving the "differentness" of the shadows.

I really like this. I haven't analysed anything, just gone on initial reaction. The shadow makes it interesting and gives a very theatrical, dark feeling to it. Well grabbed. ;)

I appreciate what people are saying, but I think its kindness... and its doing your request for C&C no favours.

I have seen some of your work, and you have a decent understanding of composition and light. You also shoot weddings, so you must have experience shooting with available ambient/natural light.

With that in mind I'm surprised that you have offered this image up for C&C.

The background is messy, it has the distracting elements like the phone and the cushion. The sofa intersects into the face of the model and the silhouette adds to the fussy background.

The expression of the model is sullen, but not in thought just "hurry up and take the bloody picture" sullen..

The lighting is just horrendous, to call it avant garde is extremely kind.

It's broad lighting, but both you and she are badly positioned making the shadow fall into her eye. This accentuates the size of her nose making it look larger, and then there is the red blotch at the tip, this should have been dealt with in post.

This picture is not a keeper, and although its very nice of people to say that its a great photo is not going to help you improve...

Please please don't be offended. I know photography is very personal, but there are key elements that have to be met for a photograph to have a decent chance of being a keeper, and none of those elements are in this image.

I appreciate what people are saying, but I think its kindness... and its doing your request for C&C no favours.

I have seen some of your work, and you have a decent understanding of composition and light. You also shoot weddings, so you must have experience shooting with available ambient/natural light.

With that in mind I'm surprised that you have offered this image up for C&C.

The background is messy, it has the distracting elements like the phone and the cushion. The sofa intersects into the face of the model and the silhouette adds to the fussy background.

The expression of the model is sullen, but not in thought just "hurry up and take the bloody picture" sullen..

The lighting is just horrendous, to call it avant garde is extremely kind.

It's broad lighting, but both you and she are badly positioned making the shadow fall into her eye. This accentuates the size of her nose making it look larger, and then there is the red blotch at the tip, this should have been dealt with in post.

This picture is not a keeper, and although its very nice of people to say that its a great photo is not going to help you improve...

Please please don't be offended. I know photography is very personal, but there are key elements that have to be met for a photograph to have a decent chance of being a keeper, and none of those elements are in this image.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I put this up for C&C as it looks so different and wanted to see what people thought about it. I knew it would be a 'marmite' shot with regards to the lighting, the tones, and the crazy shadows. I agree about the phone, cushion, settee, etc, but being a grab shot they were there and didn't even look to move them, I had less than a minute to get this and re-arranging anything was the last thing on my mind. Valid though so ta.

I disagree about your comment on the light, I love how crazy it looks, but hey it's all subjective! Also disagree about the sullen look. Bad-tempered and sulky? Hmmmmm.

EDIT: Just had a think about your comment re: 'Kindness' regarding other people's comments. Bit patronising maybe to the people who took the time to leave a comment? If they like it then they like it.

Last edited:
Im so sorry Marcus, I really am... I should just keep my bloody opinions to myself. The written word can come across very condescending when its not actually spoken..

I really didn't mean it to be horrible, Very sorry... all the best...

I like the picture itself very much - it's "fresh" and different, only spoiled (badly!) by that sodding great logo (far better without it completely ):cool:

Im so sorry Marcus, I really am... I should just keep my bloody opinions to myself. The written word can come across very condescending when its not actually spoken..

I really didn't mean it to be horrible, Very sorry... all the best...

Technically I really appreciate what you have written and as far as I'm concerned you've provided brilliant technical C&C. Maybe you might want to think about some of the more non technical parts of your post.

Look forward to seeing more of your work and your C&C mate. It's good stuff.

Great photo Marcus, loving the "differentness" of the shadows.

Thank you.

I really like this. I haven't analysed anything, just gone on initial reaction. The shadow makes it interesting and gives a very theatrical, dark feeling to it. Well grabbed. ;)

Thanks.... keep thinking I should do something crazy like replace it with something....

I like the picture itself very much - it's "fresh" and different, only spoiled (badly!) by that sodding great logo (far better without it completely ):cool:

Cheers! I hate putting my logo on a lot of my work as it just clutters it, but we all know the reasons why do it.

Considering that you grabbed the shot with hardly any time for preparation, I think you had a great 'catch'! Thanks for the details you shared, also thanks for the various comments. Those are the pointers for my next attempt!

Back