Nature in Essex

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

I have just purchased a 70-200mm and have the week off work :D and itching to get out and try it out

Can anyone suggest somewhere in Essex (I live in Chelmsford) where I could go for 1/2 a day and have a reasonably high chance of finding some birds or other animals to shoot, not including a Zoo or Wildlife park

Many thanks

Stephen

RSPB centre ? with a 200mm you will need to get up close so somewhere the birds are used to visitors.

Hi Stephen and congrats on your new lens. I cannot answer your question directly but all I can advise is do a bit of research. Even if you do find a habitat that is suitable it does not mean you will come away with loads of pictures. Do you have any parks or gardens in the area which are open to the public :shrug: This would be my first port of call if you were just starting out with this type of photography, if there are then what birds do frequent those types of places will be fairly used to human traffic. Somewhere with a small pond or lake would be even more advantageous for you, not only for perhaps Ducks etc but small birds who will use this as a watering hole. We have the Botanical gardens near to us, getting there when the gates are open is best as it is always quiet. Taking a small bag of bird seed with you and placing it in a desired spot will soon attract things.

Abberton Res, manningtree swan invasion, Cudmore Grove on Mersea Island. All great for birds :) Have a good time!

Hi all

Thanks for your reply's

We went to Maldon for a couple of hours and just had a general walk about, basically just having a play with the lens

If anyone is interested these are some of the pictures

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc515/j3w3ll3r/Maldon 20-10-11/

I know this is not a critique forum, and if posting the link is taboo, please advise and I will remove

Thanks for the suggestions, im sure I will visit them over the coming months, im pretty lucky to live on the very edge of Central park in Chelmsford and only a mile from Hyland's country park

Cheers

Stephen

Last edited:
Try Hanningfield reservoir, it's down the A12 near Barleylands farm Museum,I live in Colchester and go there quite a bit,it has a visitor centre so you can have a cuppa before the trek around the woods! They put out loads of food on the feeders so you can get some good photos just outside the door, Fingringhoe Wick is my local spot and they have nightingales in the Spring so you may get lucky!

Hi all

Thanks for your reply's

We went to Maldon for a couple of hours and just had a general walk about, basically just having a play with the lens

If anyone is interested these are some of the pictures

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc515/j3w3ll3r/Maldon 20-10-11/

I know this is not a critique forum, and if posting the link is taboo, please advise and I will remove

Thanks for the suggestions, im sure I will visit them over the coming months, im pretty lucky to live on the very edge of Central park in Chelmsford and only a mile from Hyland's country park

Cheers

Stephen
Did you see the black and white cat that lives on the Brent (the ship in your pic)?

Did you see the black and white cat that lives on the Brent (the ship in your pic)?

No, but we did see a chocolate coloured dog, but coulndt get a decent picture of him

As I now live in lancashire I'm prob a bit out of touch with the Essex area but I do go back quite often so hear goes. I always find the weirs and rivers of the chelmer and the river wid a great place to see something of interest usually in november you get some nice frosty mornings and some wildfowl just asking for their picture to be taken

Depends on what you want photos of really, but Hatfield Forest is always pretty good, especially at dawn and dusk at the moment when all the deer are around. There's always plenty of birds and squirrels around as well as people walking their dogs who often have no problem letting me take photos of them

Last edited:
Back