Nature Reserve Pics

Glen

Uncle Glen
Name
Glen
Edit My Images
Yes
I left work early today and decided to give my sigma 70-300mm a bit if a session. Here are a few of the results, please give me any pointers as this is the first 'real' go I've had with my 350d etc....Thanks :)

Robin_04.jpg

Robin_05.jpg

Robin_02.jpg

Swan_01.jpg

Slurp.jpg

Wow, thats one tame Robin there !
Very nice detail on those Glen:thumb:

Now that is the result I was looking for on my Robin hunt! Wonderful Pictures of creatures great and small! Is the Sigma the macro version as my images seemed very soft on my 70-300 (used on 35mm first now on 350D) when compared with the same settings on the 18-200.

Yeh, for some reason the closer I got to the robin, the more tame he/she became, at one point I was no more than 3-4 feet away.

Yes the lens is the APO macro version.

The Robins look pretty good, looks like that Sigma is an excellent quality lens:thumb:

Excellent Robin. He looks to be very tame.
The swans look slightly 'blown' to me. Need to be very careful metering them, mind you grebes are even worse!

Mark

excellent shots, you got a good 70-300 there,

Whats a grebe? I'm not much of a bird(feathered kind) man.

Glen said:
Whats a grebe? I'm not much of a bird(feathered kind) man.
One of these... Great Crested Grebe

grebe%231.jpg

It doesnt really show on this image but they have a very bright front so can easily confuse metering.

Great shots Glen ... especially the Robin ! The Swan shots need a bit more work but as you were testing the lens I would say you've proved it's capability on Robins at least !

And your GCG is pretty good too Mark !

TFS ...

Excellent pics Glen, well done.

I am actually considering the same lens for my Nikon D50.

nice shots!! :) Really like the third one. How far away were you taking those shots?

By the time I got to that third pic I had actually taken 11 of the robin, so i was about 5-6ft away, fildling to get my monopod detached from my bag and on the camera without scaring him away? I think that lesson to be learn't is put everything on/together first.

Here is another one which I took after that. I've only cropped all the pics and done a very fine tweak of the levels in PS. They were shot in normal mode, at f5.6, at 300mm the shutter was 1/200 I think.

Robin_03.jpg

LOL That's the tamest robin I've ever seen. I suppose being a nature reserve he associates people with food.

The shots of the Robin are excellent Glen :thumb:

Mike

Thanks for all the feedback!! :thumb:

Wow for the robin :clap:

Back