navy lynx through the mach loop

I think the pilot was looking at you taking the pic. Nice pic.

he flew over us at about 70ft.not helpful when your using a 400mm lens lol.its a uncropped

Lovely shot, but I have to say - there is nothing worse than meeting one of these in the Loop!

Lovely shot, but I have to say - there is nothing worse than meeting one of these in the Loop!

why paul?.
we had been teased badly twice by eagles that were high on the first pass and took a different direction on the second.these guys turned up minutes after and made up for the USAF.

I thought there was a minimum height limit aircraft could fly at over land?. except for landing/taking off obviously. with his aircraft number so obvious maybe a call to the aviation authorities (CAA) who should be notified together as you as a witness with your photograph. Maybe leading to a flying ban on the pilot. isn't the minimum height limit 500ft?
I don't know so maybe someone can advise.

Last edited:
I thought there was a minimum height limit aircraft could fly at over land?. except for landing/taking off obviously. with his aircraft number so obvious maybe a call to the aviation authorities (CAA) who should be notified together as you as a witness with your photograph. Maybe leading to a flying ban on the pilot. isn't the minimum height limit 500ft?

A classic case of 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing! ' The min ht is generally 250' for FW assets with certain areas of the country being cleared down to 100'. For helicopters the limit is much lower - down to 10' on target runs (for completeness, I'm not a rotary pilot so am not sure about their specific MSD, suffice to say it's significantly lower than my MSD in a Hawk).

Testimony from witnesses on the ground is almost always erroneous as they generally haven't the first clue about how to judge height. I have had a NIMBY accuse me of flying at 100' over her house. Our replay facility proved that I was 1/2 a mile away laterally and at 450'. Some people just like stirring trouble. My question to you would be why would you want any disciplinary action against this crew?

Cheesy

Last edited:
Cheesy

Thanks for enlightening me, as you say I don't have a clue which I am the first to admit. Your post implies you were on the ground and this helicopter was 70 ft above you. This photo could easily have been taken from say a hillside. When posting photos like this maybe saying where abouts you are would be helpful.

So my concern is for animals and the effect on them. Flying that low say over a herd of cows in calf more than likely will cause them to abort any calves they are carrying. This is apart from totally scaring any other animals wild or domestic. Thoughtless pilots like this should be prosecuted when they can do low flying over seas (the photo says Royal Navy on the side so thats where it should be over the sea) where they wont disturb anything. There is absolutely no need, especially when our country is not threatened with invasion, for idiots like this to do such stupid things. So yes definately prosecute the pilot and any others doing the same. AS an animal lover (which obviously this pilot isn't) it really makes me boil, and I would do my utmost to prevent aircraft flying this low.
If they were on a search/rescue mission, ie lost/injured person search for example) then one can understand the need in extreme cases to fly low and/or hover, but to go joy riding never.

OI! comes to mind
Admin Edit : Removed insult

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheesy

Thanks for enlightening me, as you say I don't have a clue. Your post implies you were on the ground and this helicopter was 70 ft above you. This photo could easily have been taken from say a hillside.
So my concern is for animals and the effect on them. Flying that low say over a herd of cows in calf more than likely will cause them to abort any calves they are carrying. This is apart from totally scaring any other animals wild or domestic. Thoughtless pilots like this should be prosecuted when they can do low flying over seas (the photo says Royal Navy on the side so thats where it should be over the sea) where they wont disturb anything. There is absolutely no need, especially when our country is not threatened with invasion, for idiots like this to do such stupid things. So yes definately prosecute the pilot and any others doing the same. AS an animal lover (which obviously this pilot isn't) it really makes me boil, and I would do my utmost to prevent aircraft flying this low.
If they were on a search/rescue mission, ie lost/injured person search for example) then one can understand the need in extreme cases to fly low and/or hover, but to go joy riding never.

Removed

This aircraft has a secondary SAR role. How do you expect the pilot to be able to carry out a live SAR mission if he hasn't trained for it?

We don't low fly over the UK because the country is under threat of invasion, we low fly to train for the missions that may need to be undertaken at home or abroad.

You inference that the pilot isn't an animal lover is one of the most puerile comments I've ever read! He (or she) is a professional doing their job. You should engage your brain before slinging mindless critisism about (quote: 'idiot'). I have flown through this very piece of airspace within the last week - not as an idiotic stunt but as a vital part of maintaining my training and operational skills.

Now grow up, stop making baseless comments and inferences about individuals whose talent you couldn't begin to comprehend.

Note that I have shown great restraint by not once referring to you once as a clown (or worse).

Good day,

Cheesy

Cheesy

Thanks for enlightening me, as you say I don't have a clue which I am the first to admit. Your post implies you were on the ground and this helicopter was 70 ft above you. This photo could easily have been taken from say a hillside. When posting photos like this maybe saying where abouts you are would be helpful.

Removed

Removed i live near the coast and near a naval station and there are many people who complain about seals sea birds even fish having side effects from aircraft. So next time you need a SAR helicopter to rescue you i hope you are not going to be anywhere that could cause a adverse effect to anything else in that area if so i hope they fly by and leave you to your own......

Cheesy

Removed

I hate to say this but it strikes me that your comments are childish in the extreme. I would far rather have our armed forces trained to a standard that allows them to be operationally effective and as safe as possible whilst doing so. If this involves low level training over the most unpopulated areas of the country, so be it. I am aware that the RAF are extremely conscious about upsetting farmers and livestock and do their utmost to avoid this. I just hope that you or your family are never in a situation whereby you need the help of our armed forces. God forbid you should need rescuing from severe floods or from an accident in the mountains whereby training is essential for a successful outcome. Or your son or daughter need air support in Afghanistan or some other war zone.

I am not the sort of person who normally replies to idiotic posts but once in a while a post is so idiotic...........................!

I feel i should clarify.i was in the mach loop and already at a height of about 500ft above ground.The heli was away from us and i estimated an EXTRA 70ft above me.At no time did the a/c do anything that could be considered dangerous and i shot it as it banked to make the turn to exit the loop.As paul says most people couldn`t correctly judge height and i suspect i`m in that camp.

rob

Wow how uneducated
Better npt come to spta he would have a heart attack
Ive never meet a person that has moaned about any aircraft flying low

Great shot and thumbs up to the Lynx pilot for bringing some diversity to the loop :)

Fantastic shot, I'm planning to get over there asap is this a daily thing or is there best times to go. I would be coming about 120 miles to get there.

Well flying resumes for the RAF on the 6th of January and then its a week day thing with no weekends.just try and manage to get good weather and hopefully you'll get traffic.
Also follow cheesy on twitter for valuable loop info and enjoy.

Nice catch Rob. I remember my first Apache through Cad. It's always nice to get something different. The only comment that I will make with regards to the rest of the thread, is that all of the aircrew that I have seen fly through the loop have behaved extremely professional.

Kev.

Fair point, just giving the person some information to start on before wasting some poor souls time complaining ;)

I noticed in the time table helicopters are allowed to "ground level" !

"The table below sets out the timetable for use of the three Tactical Training Areas (TTA) for operational low flying
training by fast jets and Hercules transport aircraft. Operational low flying by fixed wing aircraft between 250ft and
100ft is a more representative altitude at which pilots would actually fly in a combat scenario. The final decision to
use a TTA is taken on the day itself as this kind of training can only take place when there is good visibility from
cloud; while it is likely a number of the slots will not be used, no additional times will be added to those already
booked.
When a TTA is active, 'routine' low flying can take place down to 500 ft. When the
TTA is not in use lowflying training is permitted down to 250 ft and helicopter
s down to ground level. Late spring and summer are the busiest times for low flying as squadrons make
full use of good weather to carry out their training"

How does that work, you fly through at 400mph or whatever and all of a sudden get a windscreen full of helicopter?

Can't imagine that's right, but if it is then all I can think of is Billy Connely and the incontinence trousers ;-)

as some one who has spent a few hours in the back of one, just wish the pilots knew how to map read ;) used to hate walking miles to the drop off point

Back