Scotland NC500

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
In May my friend and I are taking our small motorhomes to Scotland to travel the NC500 Starting and finishing at Inverness travelling up the east coast and down the west taking a flexible 11 days. We have planned the route with photography in mind and booked campsites as required. I would be interested in any information about good photographic stops from anyone who has done this trip we have done plenty of research but am always open to suggestions. I fully understand that we are at the mercy of the weather and plenty of other variables but I would hate to come back down South having missed a must have shot!
On the way up we will stop off at Glencoe for two nights and on the way back down South (to Hampshire) we will stay in Northumberland for a few days as my travelling companion knows this area well.
Any info/recommendations greatly appreciated.

You are spoilt for choice almost everywhere.

Although the west coast is more obvious in the photographic opportunities the east coast also has a lot to offer.

For example,

the harbours at Latheronwheel and Invershore.

Helmsdale

Whalligoe Steps

Castle Sinclair Girnigoe,

Camster Cairns

Duncansby Stacks

Also have a look at the excellent WalkHighlands site.

The Walks section has walks all over Scotland, everything from a gentle stroll to a full day in the hills. All of the walks have a map and photos of what you will see – very useful to get an idea of what is there.

You said you have already booked campsites but if you need others we have camped at the following and all are, or were when we used then, excellent

Dunbeath,

Sango Sands,

Ardmair Point,

Broomfield(Ullapool), and

Gairloch Holiday Park.

The last two are in the villages so are very slightly more urban than the others but can be a handy base if you need to stock up.

There is also the Sands Campsite about 3 miles from Gairloch. Everything I hear about it is good and as it is a dunes site you can walk straight on to the beach.

The west coast is photogenic at almost every turn – WalkHighlands is again useful.

The viewpoint on the Pass of the Cattle is best visited early in the day to avoid looking towards the sun when looking out to sea. Opposite the viewpoint there is a very short easy walk on a good track to a hill with a radio/phone mast which give a superb view to the east.

Dave

PS You might be midge free in May, but take some repellent.

A little non specific but I can guarantee that round the top and down the west coast you will be stopping at every layby if the weather is decent. Actually I've been up the east coast Inverness round as far as Melvich and that's not too shabby either. If you're doing it slow time, if you don't mind a walk some of the inland lochs down the west coast are beautiful (some of them are fairly long walks.....). If you're interested in wildlife at all I can reccomend a trip out with Gairloch Marine Wildlife Cruises. Ian's a marine biologist and really knows his stuff, and doesn't intrude. Look out for white tailed eagles, seals and otters. They're right down that coast. Get among the mountains and you may be lucky enough to see golden eagles. It can get a bit frustrating sometimes seeing a stunning photo op and not being able to stop (please drive single track roads as they're meant to be driven and never be tempted to use a passing place as a layby). I've had my partner drop me off then had to walk a long way to find where he's been able to stop and wait....
A few places I know quite well:
Anywhere around Ullapool
Little Loch Broom
A lovely short walk from Mellon Udrigle (nice beach there too) round Rubha Beag. Look for seals
A shortish walk from Poolewe round Loch Kernsary. Look for red deer
Red Point
Loch Maree
Loch Clair/Loch Coulin. Great views of Beinn Eighe and Liathach
Loch Torridon
Shieldag
The mountain road to Applecross is spectacular if you get the weather, if you're not stuck in a convoy spending more time trying not to scrape either your vehicle or someone else's than looking out and depending on the size of your camper van. Please just ignore the folk who say 'I took my massive motorhome over there and it was fine'. They cause chaos. When you see some poor supermarket delivery driver having to reverse his van up a steep hill round a tight bend with a sheer drop just over the not-very-high barrier it makes you think. I've done it in May, on a day of high wind and low cloud (could barely stand at the top and the view - there wasn't one) and it was mobbed. The coast road in is lovely.
Places to stay I can't reccomend anywhere other than Sands and I really can reccomend it. Stayed there more times than I can remember. The sunsets on that coast are stunning.
As Dave says you may be midge free but it's unlikely they won't find you somewhere. Or it could be hoaching in them. Pack the Smidge.
The NC500 has a bit of bad press from locals and it's easy to see why. Be sensible and considerate and you'll love it.
Good chippie in Gairloch........... :)

One piece of advice whenever you see a petrol station fill up, they are few and far between, the one at Applecross is just a pre-pay pump in a layby.
PS The views are superb and watch out for the Golden Eagles at the top of Applecross.
Enjoy !

Nobody mentioned Chanonry Point just outside Inverness for the Dolphins.
The Kids were all away on their travels so we did it over Christmas 2018 and can't wait to go back.
Came around a hairpin bend on the Bealach na Bà (Applecross Pass) to the sight of two Stags rutting on the other side of the armco barrier - took no notice of us and carried on.
The whole stretch from Ullapool to Tongue was my highlight

Thank you all for the excellent responses. We are staying very flexible and would be happy to stop often to enjoy the scenery. The point about petrol stations is noted but we are sorted re loos as we will be travelling with them!

Depends on the motorhome.
Ours is 7.2m and a waste of time touring as a lot of places now have height barriers to stop motorhomers from overnight parking.

All in the East Coast:
Dunnottar Castle and Stonehaven
Pennan would be a bit tricky with Motorhomes but a great wee spot.
Banffshire coast - Cullen and Bow Fiddle Rock at Portknockie
Moray Coast - rated in National Geographic's top 20 worldwide coastlines.

My motorhome is tiny, 5.3mtrs long by 2mtrs wide so roads should not be a problem but height barriers may be a problem as it is 2.6mtrs high.

I know from friends that live up there that the locals are getting increasingly fed up with the area being inundated with motorhomes all summer. So it wouldn't surprise me if there are more height restrictions etc.

Depends on the motorhome.
Ours is 7.2m and a waste of time touring as a lot of places now have height barriers to stop motorhomers from overnight parking.

Funny as all my planned and potential stops for touring with my 7.6m motorhome in January were easily accessible. Covid put paid to it though.

It certainly can be done.
Park4night seems to be a popular app for finding park up locations.
Haven't used it myself but hopefully try a few places this year.
yep, searchforsites is even better to be fair. But when you need alternatives park4nights good.

I know from friends that live up there that the locals are getting increasingly fed up with the area being inundated with motorhomes all summer. So it wouldn't surprise me if there are more height restrictions etc.

It's not just the motorhomes. It's the hordes of boy racers / Clarkson wannabees (some in VERY expensive cars.....) and the gangs of motorbikers. They have no interest in the scenery or the wildlife. It's just a driving route for them, and you have all that noise and pollution as a backdrop to your own enjoyment of the coastline.

Unintended consequences!

It's just a driving route for them, and you have all that noise and pollution as a backdrop to your own enjoyment of the coastline.
I agree that such people are a bit of a nuisance and we do get a little annoyed by the more foolish. However, coastal communities and moorland communities need economic activity.

Here in East Devon we're both and so we just have to put up with it for the sake of our neighbours whose livehood depends on the holidaymakers.

Caravan and Carvanette at M5 J30 Sowton Services Exeter G9 P1011385.JPG

It's not just the motorhomes. It's the hordes of boy racers / Clarkson wannabees (some in VERY expensive cars.....) and the gangs of motorbikers. They have no interest in the scenery or the wildlife. It's just a driving route for them, and you have all that noise and pollution as a backdrop to your own enjoyment of the coastline.

Unintended consequences!
I rode the NC500 as part of LEJOG on my Motorbike (2up) and met many other bikers most of whom were there to enjoy the scenery and being in the wild north. We stayed a total of 7 hotels, all of which were very happy to see us, many offering personal garages for the safety of our bikes. Most of the conversations in the evening related to the scenery and empty roads, all proprietors appreciated the income. Of course there will always be some 'boy' racers, but they also plague the M3 and M25 and our experience is that they were in the minority.
The 'highlight' of our trip was to be buzzed by a Golden Eagle (unfortunately no room on a bike for camera).
Most of the problems we encountered was due to Motorhomes not driving with due consideration to each other and not using the 'flags' for passing places, foreign registrations being the worst.

PS I live on the Isle of Wight, which like the North Coast of Scotland relies upon tourism

Back