NCD: Nikon D700

Name
daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a Nikon D700 which came in the post today. Pretty good condition with 103k shutter count. It came with a replacement rubber grip set, which I may do at some point. I have ordered a CF card and I need to find an eyepiece. I have a 35mm DX lens which appears to only have slight vignetting, but I will pick up a 50mm FX lens at some point. These are a real bargain now, really looking forward to taking the D700 out. I'm upgrading from a D90, which is another great camera that I will keep.

Agreed I have 2 D700's

I thought the D700 had a DX mode so that if you stuck a DX lens on it it would not vignette?

If you are going to replace the rubber covers on the camera then I would recommend taking your time and removing all of the residual sticky stuff with isopropanol, use it sparingly, it takes a bit of time but worth it in the end.

If the replacement covers do not have sticky tape on the inside then would look at getting some strong 5mm double sided tape, as that would have been used originally. Don't use glue as it gets everywhere and you don't want it in the camera.

D90 and D700 were my 2 favourite Nikons. I learned everything with the D90 and I loved the colour profiles and skin tones from the D700. Both were 100% reliable, never got an ERR code, lock up or single card issue with either camera... ever! The 35mm DX prime does work quite well on the D700 as I used it briefly before I sold the lens with my D90. You'll find the D700 is such a forgiving camera with really good AF and levels of sharpness. I've yet to meet a current or ex D700 owner ever say a bad word about it. Enjoy.

I found this:

The Nikon D700 lets you select from either FX format (36 x 24) or DX format (24 x 16). At the default setting of [Auto DX crop], the camera will automatically select DX format when a DX NIKKOR lens is attached.

I thought the D700 had a DX mode so that if you stuck a DX lens on it it would not vignette?

If you are going to replace the rubber covers on the camera then I would recommend taking your time and removing all of the residual sticky stuff with isopropanol, use it sparingly, it takes a bit of time but worth it in the end.

If the replacement covers do not have sticky tape on the inside then would look at getting some strong 5mm double sided tape, as that would have been used originally. Don't use glue as it gets everywhere and you don't want it in the camera.
Yes it does have a DX setting but would prefer to shoot in FX. I've only checked the photos on the rear lcd display as I'm still waiting for a CF card that I ordered last week that still hasn't arrived.

Thank you, the kit came with a roll of 3m tape and I have isopropanol here.
D90 and D700 were my 2 favourite Nikons. I learned everything with the D90 and I loved the colour profiles and skin tones from the D700. Both were 100% reliable, never got an ERR code, lock up or single card issue with either camera... ever! The 35mm DX prime does work quite well on the D700 as I used it briefly before I sold the lens with my D90. You'll find the D700 is such a forgiving camera with really good AF and levels of sharpness. I've yet to meet a current or ex D700 owner ever say a bad word about it. Enjoy.
I love the D90, and I already love the D700. I will keep the D90 for my son. He is almost 4 and loves taking pictures with it, but it's still a little big and heavy for him yet. I'll probably buy him a small camera for his birthday and he can have the D90 when he's a little older.

I found this:

The Nikon D700 lets you select from either FX format (36 x 24) or DX format (24 x 16). At the default setting of [Auto DX crop], the camera will automatically select DX format when a DX NIKKOR lens is attached.
Yes, I've been right through the menus system, which is practically the same as the D90 which was nice, barring some extra features.

I have been using my D700 ever since I swapped it out for my D200 and never regretted it for one moment.

Very good value at the moment.

I'm another one with 2 D700's and I have 2 D200's as well..... nice combination of classic Nikons!!!

Back