ND 100,000 - 16.5 stop ND filter

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
New range of filters from Marumi including a 16.5 stop ND. That could be interesting......

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/79...utral-density-filters-nd100000-solar-shooting

Japanese filter brand Marumi has introduced a collection of neutral density filters for its DHG (Digital High Grade) range. All circular screw-in types, the new models include fixed density strengths of ND 8, 16, 32 and 64 as well as a variable ND filter with a range of ND 2.5-500. The new fixed models will be available in sizes for 37mm-82mm threaded lenses, while the variable filter will be offered in only two options: 58mm or 77mm.
The company has also announced a ND 100,000 filter for shooting solar eclipses. This model cuts light by 16.5 stops, so will also be useful for extreme long exposures in normal conditions.

I don't think it's too uncommon to stack a 10 and 6 stop filter, I have a few times. Could be worth keeping an eye on.

Wow that's bonkers. If I do long exposures with my ten stop I usually aim for a shutter speed of around 1/30 before so I can just stick the timer to 30 secs (bit lazy, I know). a 1/30 sec exposure will be 36 minutes with a 16 stop!! :eek:

I don't think it's too uncommon to stack a 10 and 6 stop filter, I have a few times. Could be worth keeping an eye on.

That's true

I seldom go as dark as my B+W 10 stop though.

I once punched in, as I recall, a 1 second exposure with 20 stops into an app and it stated a 1 year exposure. I've always been tempted to try it :)

By way of practising for the next eclipse I recently shot the sun through a pair of the rather good & remarkably cheap 10 stop XCSource filters. I used 1/80th sec at f8 and ISO 100. It wasn't quite a full strength sun, there being some flimsy cloud in front of it.

Sunspots at 300mm f/8 1/80th sec (plus 2 big stoppers)
by Chris_Malcolm, on Flickr

If you want to make traffic or peopel vanish from a scene on a sunny day then you may want an exposure of at least 20 minutes.

By way of practising for the next eclipse I recently shot the sun through a pair of the rather good & remarkably cheap 10 stop XCSource filters. I used 1/80th sec at f8 and ISO 100. It wasn't quite a full strength sun, there being some flimsy cloud in front of it..

Never ever thought of shooting sun spots !

Now all I need is a sunny day :(

Might just keep to the 10 stopper for now lol but does look interesting

Just wondered if anybody had one of these yet ?

By the way, these aren't the only 16 stop filters available. Format Hi-Tech make 13-stop and 16-stop flavours of their 'Firecrest' ND filters.

Back