Beginner ND filter & A6300

Edit My Images
Yes
I shot some photos today in bright sunlight, mostly portrait shots of my granddaughter outside. I have my Sony a6300 set to AP and I have a f1.8 lens. On a normal day not to sunny I get near perfect exposure, today was very bright and I had a lot of pictures over expose. Also for some reason it has a hard time focusing on the nearest object.
I have a variable ND filter and I'm scratching my head on how to use it. I have my ISO set 100 to 1600 and let the camera control the shutter speed.
Of course if you bring the exposure down with the ND filter the shutter speed slows, am I being thick is that what its suppose to do?
Do I just adjust it until the zebras go ?
Ive posted to 2 pics same camera, same setting, same time of day , one blows out and shows the near focus problem and the other is fine as far as I'm concerned

Any help appreciated.

vuhpnRD.jpg

AJsf5AU.jpg

OK, there's several issues here.

I have my Sony a6300 set to AP and I have a f1.8 lens. On a normal day not to sunny I get near perfect exposure, today was very bright and I had a lot of pictures over expose. Also for some reason it has a hard time focusing on the nearest object.
I have a variable ND filter and I'm scratching my head on how to use it. I have my ISO set 100 to 1600 and let the camera control the shutter speed.

You mention an f1.8 lens and using aperture priority, with the camera controlling ISO and shutter speed? Neither of the pictures posted appear to be blown, but if you're seeing over-exposure outside, rather than bunging on the filter why not stop down to f2.8 or f4? In snapshots like this you're hardly able to maximise bokeh and a little extra depth of field will help with the second problem:

For the mono picture the point of focus appears to be the hand between your grandaughters legs and slightly behind - this suggests to me a number of possibilities: the camera simply sensed the hand as being the part to focus on, you used a focussing spot and the subjects moved before you took the shot or you used a focussing spot in the wrong place. From the shots I can't tell which is the case.

With a variable ND filter you just turn the ring to reduce or increase exposure - not sure where your 'zebras' are coming from. Yes, it would slow your shutter speed as you decrease exposure, but that's not really helpful for this kind of picture, and I'd suggest leaving it behind for family snaps because you'll be spending time fiddling instead of taking memorable pictures.

Hope that's useful.

OK, there's several issues here.

You mention an f1.8 lens and using aperture priority, with the camera controlling ISO and shutter speed? Neither of the pictures posted appear to be blown, but if you're seeing over-exposure outside, rather than bunging on the filter why not stop down to f2.8 or f4? In snapshots like this you're hardly able to maximise bokeh and a little extra depth of field will help with the second problem:

For the mono picture the point of focus appears to be the hand between your grandaughters legs and slightly behind - this suggests to me a number of possibilities: the camera simply sensed the hand as being the part to focus on, you used a focussing spot and the subjects moved before you took the shot or you used a focussing spot in the wrong place. From the shots I can't tell which is the case.

With a variable ND filter you just turn the ring to reduce or increase exposure - not sure where your 'zebras' are coming from. Yes, it would slow your shutter speed as you decrease exposure, but that's not really helpful for this kind of picture, and I'd suggest leaving it behind for family snaps because you'll be spending time fiddling instead of taking memorable pictures.

Hope that's useful.

That's a great set of answers thank you .. I think you have solved all the problems :) I love this forum there are so many knowledgeable people like yourself to help n00bs like me .. have a great weekend @ancient_mariner and again thank you.

Zebras show you areas that are blown or close to it. I find them too distracting but trying different levels may get you zebras you're happy with.

The camera is as far as I know limited to a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000? Therefore to shoot at wide apertures in strong light an ND is useful. To be honest I'd rather used an ND than a variable and they can be found cheap so that's the thing I'd recommend. I have a couple of cheap sets of screw on ones and they work well enough but fitting and removing them is a pita for me, I'd much rather have 1/8000 available either with a mechanical or electronic shutter. If you do buy any remember to check the diameter of the lenses you want to use them on.

Back