Beginner Nd filter calculator

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
As a relative beginner in landscape photography I could do with a little advice on the correct nd filter strength I need for any given situation, I've looked at various YouTube videos but I need an filter calculator, can anyone help please, I need one aimed at beginners with no jargon to confuse me if possible please, thanks in advance guys.

Sean.

if you are talking about which grad filter to use to hold back the sky, it can be done in camera.

In Manual mode centre spot reading point the camera at the detail you want exposed correctly, set the aperture/shutter speed to get a exposure reading, then point the camera at the sky and turn your control wheel to get back to the reading as before, counting the number of clicks, if 2 to 3 clicks use a 0.3 Grad if 5,6 clicks use 0.6, if 8 or 9 clicks use 0.9 grad, if more ad the grads together to get the required adjustment.

I hope that is a clear enough explanation.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes I think I see what your saying mate, if I can get out tomorrow I'll try and see if I can put it into practice, thanks Pete.

Sean.

Thanks huffy, I'll read that in a bit, sorry guys what I should have mentioned was the use of ND grads not just full ND's, the calculation I'm after is this, if I was wanting to get a picture of say a country scene with a mainly green foreground but the sky was very bright, I know I need to take a meter reading of a mid tone in the foreground and a meter reading of the sky, it's the calculation of which ND grad I need to use to stop the sky from being burnt out, I've got no access to LR or PS so I've got to get it as good in camera as I can, sorry again for not being clearer in my question.

Sean.

Oh I'm getting in a mix up, sorry Pete your reply was what I'm after, forget the last post guys.

Sean.

No problem, as long as you get the advice you need its all good.(y)

Cheers mate, I'm still going to read what you've posted, after all, there's going to be a lot of information in there to help me, thanks.

Sean.

Sean

As Pete says.

In his example, each click is a 1/3 stop. If your camera is set for half stops then it'll be 2 clicks instead of 3, 4 vs 6 and 6 vs 9.

Back