nd filters and light craft workshop

Edit My Images
No
i'm looking at getting some form of ND filter to enable longer shutter speeds in daylight conditions
firstly i'm not sure how many 'stops' i would need
i'm looking at photographing windmills in daylight/rivers/sea etc so i guess i would like the ability to expose for upto approx 5 secs ??
secondly what do people think of the light craft workshop filter where you can vary the density - is it worth the money or is it worth buying separate filters
finally any suggestions or decent brands, i don't want to spend too much but likewise don't want something cheap + nasty

many thanks

thanks for the link
the lightcraft doesn't seem to get that good a rating so can someone give me an idea of what value of fixed ND filter would give what level of shutter time increase
cheers

The shutter speed also depends on your aperture and the time of day (and available light).

To get 15-30 secs in bright sunlight (say with some picturesque clouds scudding by) then a 10-stop filter is what you need, as made by B&W and Lee. For moving water like a river or waterfall, you only need half a second or so.

I usually carry a 10 stop B&W filter, and a 0.9, 0.6 and 0.3 (3, 2 and 1 stop I think) set of Lee filters. That way, I can juggle between them to get the effect I want at the aperture I want. I'll also have a polariser to cut out reflections on water & vegetation, which is a 2-stop reduction I think.

Of course, you can always just wait until there's less daylight and you wont need any filters.

The shutter speed also depends on your aperture and the time of day (and available light).

To get 15-30 secs in bright sunlight (say with some picturesque clouds scudding by) then a 10-stop filter is what you need, as made by B&W and Lee. For moving water like a river or waterfall, you only need half a second or so.

I usually carry a 10 stop B&W filter, and a 0.9, 0.6 and 0.3 (3, 2 and 1 stop I think) set of Lee filters. That way, I can juggle between them to get the effect I want at the aperture I want. I'll also have a polariser to cut out reflections on water & vegetation, which is a 2-stop reduction I think.

Of course, you can always just wait until there's less daylight and you wont need any filters.

i'm tempted by a 10stop b+w filter and a 0.9 as you've mentioned but can't really justify buying both straight away - which would be my best 1st purchase to start experimenting with long daylight exposures

i'm tempted by a 10stop b+w filter and a 0.9 as you've mentioned but can't really justify buying both straight away - which would be my best 1st purchase to start experimenting with long daylight exposures

Tobers mentions a 10stop ND filter and a set of 1,2 and 3 stop ND grads. The two types of filters do quite different things. If you just want to cut down on the amount of light hitting the sensor, you need the 10stop ND.

Tobers mentions a 10stop ND filter and a set of 1,2 and 3 stop ND grads. The two types of filters do quite different things. If you just want to cut down on the amount of light hitting the sensor, you need the 10stop ND.

:thinking:

you can get 0.3 0.6 0.9 nd filters not just grads.

From personal experience a ND 0.9 is probably going to be the most versatile, but then you could ask ten different people and get ten different answers

Back