ND Filters which one?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I need advice!
Just read thread on the Lee Filters, nice, but way outta me budget!
The brands come in so many numbers, what should I buy and which brands should I definitely not buy?
I also read about variable ND filters are they any good,and should I go for an ND4 or ND8?
I would like to experiment while at the seaside this Summer...

Thx very much!

If you want to go to the silly end, and try 10-stop filters, try this one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DNCO0L2

At £50 quid can't fault it (no obvious colour casts etc) - Have to be careful when screwing it on not to disturb focus though, but I've never really got on with drop-in filters.

Have also got various smaller ND filters but the only time they come out is to turn the 10 stop into a 13 stop... its generally easier to force the ISO down a couple of stops if you can...

Variable ND filters are universally considered rubbish.

p.s.
0.3 = 1 stop = 2ND.... er... because, obviously... :thinking:

OK thanks, I'll keep that one in mind :)
And what about Cokin, Hama, Hoya,...are these any good?

OK thanks, I'll keep that one in mind :)
And what about Cokin, Hama, Hoya,...are these any good?

Do you mean ND, or ND Grad? Completely different.

And be aware that filters are confusingly numbered. One stop is x2 or 0.3; two stops is 4x or 0.6; three stops is x8 or 0.9, and so on. Ten stops is x1024 or 3.0.

ND for long shutterspeeds

Prolly best to search the forum for that, lots of threads on it. You'll need to bone up on technique as well. A couple of years ago, good ND filters of the very dark variety (the kind you're wanting) were expensive. The best ones still are, but there are quite a few others about that are almost as good for a fraction of the cost.

i have the haida pro 2 and cant fault it. cost me around £40 . no real colour cast otehr than a very slight grey tinge ), glass is schott glass and its coated with anti oil, water, scratch protection.
i have the ND1000 filter ( ND 3.0 ) thogh i wouldnt mind getting the ND x64 ( 1.8 ) for when i dont need a total black out filter like the ND1000

If you want to go to the silly end, and try 10-stop filters, try this one :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DNCO0L2

At £50 quid can't fault it (no obvious colour casts etc) - Have to be careful when screwing it on not to disturb focus though, but I've never really got on with drop-in filters.

Have also got various smaller ND filters but the only time they come out is to turn the 10 stop into a 13 stop... its generally easier to force the ISO down a couple of stops if you can...

Variable ND filters are universally considered rubbish.

p.s.
0.3 = 1 stop = 2ND.... er... because, obviously... :thinking:

I'd second the above on this, very nice quality and a bargain to boot!

Back