ND Filters

Edit My Images
Yes
So over the last year I have been experimenting a bit more with different types of photography. One of the things ive been trying is long exposure photography. I didn't want to rush out a buy a full system of filters so I purchased a couple of Hoya . Haida screw in filters. They have done a good job so far. However it does mean I have now become limited to a few lenses and as I want to experiment more the limits are becoming a bit frustrating. I am thinking that perhaps the time has come to maybe invest in a filter system that I can use across a range of lenses. The Lee filter system seems to be very popular, although even it that system there seems to be 3 different configurations.

Just looking for a bit of advice if getting into a system would be the way to go and if Lee filters would be good for some one who is still learning the art . What would be the recommendation of a good starter set for seascape / river photography?

It depends what you need to put them on too btw
Lee are not the only option.

However it does mean I have now become limited to a few lenses...

Did you consider step up rings? These are pretty cheap options that let you use your screw in filters for lens with different diameters. I'd do this if I were you.

If you want to try a filter system there are very cheap ones available on ebay which might be a good next step.

Did you consider step up rings? These are pretty cheap options that let you use your screw in filters for lens with different diameters. I'd do this if I were you.

If you want to try a filter system there are very cheap ones available on ebay which might be a good next step.

Thanks no I hadnt thought of that. That could be a good idea while I continue to experiment .

If you want a cheap way into Lee filters there's a seller on the eBay called DSLRBaby based in China which sells reasonably good clones of the Lee holder for £6.99 delivered and wide angle adaptor rings for around £4 and under.

As above, cheaper filter holders are available for the big brands, saving you some money to then spend on the actual filters.
Also, cokin still do the z-pro starter kit that comes with the holder, three different Nd grads and a filter case. Unless you've got particularly large lens diameters the Nd grads are usually tall enough to slide down and use as a Nd too.

Ooops, duplicate post.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for the new replies. Arrived in the post today were a couple of step up rings which seem to work well and for £4 cannot go to far wrong. However I think long term a filter system is still the way to go and it will be more versatile. The SRB systems looks quite decent and might well be worth a try, thank you for the recommendation.

Back