ND Grad filter help....

Usually you have a holder which mounts onto the front of the lens and the ND grads slide into the holder. A good starter combination is to use a Cokin holder and Hi-Tech filters.

Hi Trev,

there is an adaptor ring that screws into the filter thread on the lens and you clip the filter holder to this. All you need to do is buy an adaptor ring for each filter ring size in your kit and you're sorted.

HTH

Mark

it uses a mounting ring screwed on to your lens obviously you need the right size for your lens

bugga couldnt type quick enough :LOL:

You buy a ring that fits on to the filter thread on your lens and the holder clips on to that. Your holder will fit different sized rings, so you can use the same set of filters for most of your lenses (depending on size).

Has any one used the srb griturn filters? They are made from resin like the more expensive corkin or lee filters but sell for the same price as the plastic ones.

As a general rule you will get what you pay for (although will gladly be proved wrong despite having spent several hundred pounds on Lee filters) :)

Just had a thought...... a grad filter set would be useless on a kit lens as teh lens turns?
It's not a problem with circular polarizers but with ND Grads it will just be a mare?

ND Grads it will just be a mare?

I've not got any lenses that rotate, but surely just rotate the GND?

One thing that bugs me though... I'd like to leave the adapter ring on my lens permanently, but the lens cap won't fit with it in place. Not sure if you can get anything as a replacement, but it bugs me a little. Probably just me being lazy.

You don't actually need to use a holder with a grad filter.

Just hold the filter carefully against the rim of the lens while composing and when you take the pic.

It's easy with a tripod and possible with practice without.

It saves messing about with bits and bobs.:)

Back