ND grad filters

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
I'm thinking of getting some ND grad filters to try out on my landscape photography but not sure what to get. The main lens they will be used on is the 17-55 which has a 77mm filter thread. I'm thinking of mid-priced, something like the hitech filters, but would the Cokin P holder be ok and not cause vignetting on this lens?

Also - would it be better to go for hard or soft grads?

Many thanks for any help and advice.

The Cokin P series Will be fine on your 17-55.

In fact I use one on my 10-22, and it only vignettes under 13mm.

For your average landscapes, I'd get the soft grad. Hard grads are used most effectively on sea scapes where your horizon is always flat.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I used the cokin p series on my 17-55 tonight but found a little vignetting, which is very strange as I don't get the vignetting on my 15-85.

if you're concerned about vignetting

buy a Cokin ''wide-angle' holder which has only 1 slot for 1 filter - hence thinner

The hard edged grads are ideal for coastlines where there are no subjects breaking the horizon and are easier to line up in the viewfinder, since the graduation between the dark half and light half is very obvious.

On the other hand, if you have trees in the foreground, or for eg mountains, it is best to use soft grads, since the graduation will not show very much at all on these subjects.

Have never used them, but have heard good things about Singhray filters as a mid priced option, but if you really want quality, Lee Filters are the only way to go IMHO.

Thanks guys. Looks like soft grads and hitech filters with Cokin P holder are the way to go for me as a first time. Just need to get out somewhere now to take some pictures!

Back