ND Grads

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking at taking some landscape type pics in the near future.At the moment i will make do with the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 but may buy a Tokina 12-24 if i really enjoy what im doing.

My question is that i want to find out more about Grad filters and how to meter for them, what types and sizes are available and of course what purpose they serve in landscapes. Is there are good sites for me to read more ( except by searching on here ). Any help welcomed.

Buckas that link doesn't work - if it was a page of search results they never work however markyboy.1967 there are plenty of threads on here available just by searching for ND Grad

To meter for ND grad I spot meter the lightest pacth of sky then the darkest patch of ground.

Work out the difference then add the appropriate grad and you should still have the correct settings plugged in from your metering for the darkest patch of ground.

why automatically meter with ND grads, I would have the whole thing on manual for digital exposures.
there are a lot of ND grad filter threads around at the mo, I've ploughed through most of them!

There's no need to bother with particular exposure calculations when using a grad. That's the beauty of digital - just shoot as you would normally and take a look. You need to experiment a bit to get the right amount of fade with the position of the filter and the f/number, both of which makes a big difference.

Just put the filter on, line it up as best you can and then take a shot. You can check the exposure and make any necessary adjustments while at the same time moving the filter up/down if necessary, or increasing the f/number to get the fade harder and darker (or the opposite).

i meter the ground then guess the one to use for the sky, then stack if needed

IMO the best way to do it is uneducated rick's method, which is also mine. Just calculate the difference in shutter speed between the two. This will equate into stops.

The difference is the strength of Grad required. Also to bear in mind is the subjects. If there's a flat horizon, I'd use a hard edged grad, and for things with an inconsistent peak, a soft one. Otherwise the graduation will start to show in the final image

Back