NDx1000 Filter

Name
Martin Turner
Edit My Images
Yes
Want to buy one of these, where is the best place? Cheapest I can find is £52. They are quite hard to get hold of.

B+W 110 (3.0) SH NDx1000 77mm Neutral Density Filter

Also, I heard they can blind you if looking through them at the sun (not that you will see anything as its black), but how dangerous are these? Thinking more about kids and accidentally leaving it on my camera.

:)

Hi Martin,
Neutral densityx1000????
Thats virtually infra red.
I doubt very much it would blind you if you looked at the sun through it, but dont go by my word.
How many stops are you after?
Dean

Hi Martin,
Neutral densityx1000????
Thats virtually infra red.
I doubt very much it would blind you if you looked at the sun through it, but dont go by my word.
How many stops are you after?
Dean

But that's the problem... The sun emits more than just visible light and it is the non visible spectrum that's actually damaging to eyes (especially when focused through a lens). Remember Infrared is basically heat and because the brightness is low your pupils are large letting more of the Infrared light into your eyes making the effect worse.

Infra red is of a lower energy than that of visible light, and is infact less harmfull as a result. UV on the other hand has a higher energy than visible light, and it is this you should be worried about. After all, we can all look at flames, heating elements, and all other objects that can be deemed "black bodies" without damage to the eye. Visible light is also incredibly harmfull to the eye under the right intensity. Lasers for example.

Fortunatly, UV can be stopped with a simple filter. most other harmfull radiation given off by the sun is stopped by the various layers of the atmosphere.

Now, it should be clarified that looking at the sun for long periods of time regardless of the protection in place is not a good idea, because all forms of protection are not 100% effective, and as a result have what is called an extinction ratio; that being the amout incident compared to the amount which passes without hinderance.

So if you did want to take photos of the sun, a UV filter and a ND filter for the visible light of appropriate strength will be fine.

HTH

http://www.wokinghamphotographic.co.uk/prdbw66729.htm

Above is the link to somewhere in the UK, just trying to find out if they have them in stock though. I am able to buy it from the website, but not sure if it would be one of those instances where I am buying regardless of stock.

The filter is like IR in terms of the amount of light that is blocked out. It just allows you to have incredibly long exposures during the day, so silky waters and skies.

Worth noting they are much cheaper if you want a smaller thread. £50+ for a 77mm for my 10-20.

Back