Nearly a disastrous day!

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
So I made an early start to drive up to Oxford yesterday and used the Park & Ride to get into the city early.
I wanted to get some bicycle shots and had plenty of opportunities.

Early ride
by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

A bicycle made for three

Friday Repairs

Of course there is always the possibility of a problem with a bicycle and Oxford, with all its bikes, is no exception.

Only flat at the bottom!

After a lot of walking I needed to take a rest so sat down on the steps of the Radcliffe Camera.

Radcliffe Camera

I was there for about 10 minutes resting my feet, with my Leica around my neck and my Ricoh GRiii, flash and extras in my small shoulder bag on the steps to the side and slightly behind me.
After the rest I leaned forward to ease my aching body off of the step and strolled around to the Bridge of Sighs. I know why they call it the Bridge of Sighs ... every time you think you might get a clean shot another group of tourist comes to clutter the scene.

Bridge of Sighs

After waiting in vain for what seemed like an age I turned away and realised that I didn't have my camera bag over my shoulder! :eek:

Back to the steps of the Radcliffe Camera and you've guessed it, not a camera bag in sight and what seemed like hundreds of people milling everywhere. :confused:
With a mixture of panic and despair I wondered what I could do and was thinking of an insurance claim and the loss of all the photos in the Ricoh GRiii, when I spotted a couple of 'official' maintenance guys coming toward me.

"Excuse me." says I, "If an old git was daft enough to leave his camera bag on the steps over there and someone handed it in, where might they have taken it?".
They took me around to an office inside the quadrangle of the Divinity School and after a brief interrogation a lovely lady revealed it from inside a stationary cabinet. It had been noticed and brought in by a member of staff. What a sense of relief!

The only downside was the distance I had to walk to get a couple of boxes of Cadbury's Hero's chocolates to take back to them.

That was a close shave. That sort of thing fills me with dread.

Well, you seem to have had a successful day. Oxford is definitely a great place to mine for pictures.

Yikes. I have an Apple AirTags in my camera bags, as I have done similar in the past. However, it would be better if camera manufacturers were able to build that technology directly into cameras, especially as new models all seem to come with Bluetooth.

Yikes. I have an Apple AirTags in my camera bags, as I have done similar in the past. However, it would be better if camera manufacturers were able to build that technology directly into cameras, especially as new models all seem to come with Bluetooth.
I had thought of a tag but read that any thief would possibly know a tag was there as their phone would alert them to a tag being placed on them. Something about an unwanted tracker. Don’t know if that’s true.

After about 8 hours. They aren't really designed as an anti-theft thing, more of a "where did I leave it".

I do the same.

Once it gets you in Bluetooth range, the phone app will direct you to an AirTag with an accuracy of a few centimetres.
If you have a (more) modern phone. I think 11 or higher.

A good idea that was suggested to me, was to keep an image on your SD card that showed your name address and phone number.
Something I wish I'd done, when I lost a SD card with some family pictures on I'd taken.

Get a pet tracker. No alert if it's near you. A frend has one on her cat, they often have to go and find it after the cat dumps it for a laugh...

A good idea that was suggested to me, was to keep an image on your SD card that showed your name address and phone number.
Something I wish I'd done, when I lost a SD card with some family pictures on I'd taken.
I actually had my street contact cards in a front pocket, inside a thin s/s card case but it hadn't been opened; probably too unobtrusive.
Airtag might be the way to go this week. :)

I actually had my street contact cards in a front pocket, inside a thin s/s card case but it hadn't been opened; probably too unobtrusive.
Airtag might be the way to go this week. :)
While my default setting is optimism I don't think I'd be quick to encourage you to tempt fate by doing it again. Not this week, this month, this year.

Seriously, if the possibility exists that you might be developing "old git-itis" you might want to develop a new strategy: never taking the bag off in public places for example,

While my default setting is optimism I don't think I'd be quick to encourage you to tempt fate by doing it again. Not this week, this month, this year.

Seriously, if the possibility exists that you might be developing "old git-itis" you might want to develop a new strategy: never taking the bag off in public places for example,
You wouldn't believe how careful I normally am!
Strap through my arm or leg or tied to my seat or table at the cafe etc.
What did for me this time was the sheer tiredness of walking too far in an effort to see as much as I could as quickly as I could.
Not that "old git-itis" might not be catching up! :LOL:

You wouldn't believe how careful I normally am!
Strap through my arm or leg or tied to my seat or table at the cafe etc.
What did for me this time was the sheer tiredness of walking too far in an effort to see as much as I could as quickly as I could.
Not that "old git-itis" might not be catching up! :LOL:

The real answer to the problem is ditch the Leica and all that other stuff, just travel with Ricoh GR which goes on your pocket* when not in use :LOL: .

*or in lightweight case on strap, bandolier style under jacket/coat if worried about pcket fluff etc.

A fine collection of Oxford photographs - another good documentary in the Gramps series.

I'm delighted to hear that your bag was found by a decent person and your act of kindness in taking chocolates as a gift was a nice gesture too - just goes to show that there are plenty of good people around, it's just that they don't make the news.

The real answer to the problem is ditch the Leica and all that other stuff, just travel with Ricoh GR which goes on your pocket* when not in use :LOL: .

*or in lightweight case on strap, bandolier style under jacket/coat if worried about pcket fluff etc.
I'm almost at that stage Richard, if it wasn't for the few 'extras' that makes the bag handy ... it's not as though it's big or heavy, just a little Lowepro Event Messenger 100.
I carry the GRiii by it's strap or in my pocket and haven't noticed any dust issues reported by others, I wonder if it's a major fact or an 'urban legend'.

A fine collection of Oxford photographs - another good documentary in the Gramps series.

I'm delighted to hear that your bag was found by a decent person and your act of kindness in taking chocolates as a gift was a nice gesture too - just goes to show that there are plenty of good people around, it's just that they don't make the news.
Thanks Chris, and yes I was very pleased to experience the positive side of humanity, albeit in a very small and personal way. :)

Great story with a fortunate but very happy ending. Some very nice images as well, don't think there's one that i don't like Gramps.

Glad all worked out well for you Gramps.

You gotta be out at first light round here if you want anything without tourists. Especially the areas you’ve just mentioned.

I’m assuming you’re not just a 10 minute walk like myself from there though :D

I'm almost at that stage Richard, if it wasn't for the few 'extras' that makes the bag handy ... it's not as though it's big or heavy, just a little Lowepro Event Messenger 100.
I carry the GRiii by it's strap or in my pocket and haven't noticed any dust issues reported by others, I wonder if it's a major fact or an 'urban legend'.

There is obviously a potential of drawing dust in with a fixed lens popping in and out but I’ve had both the Ricoh GRD & GR and never seen it. Like all faults you only hear from people who have them not from people who don’t. Back when the GRD was current and people complained of dust I remember doing a web search and finding there were vastly more complaints about Canons and dust — I presume because there were more of them sold.

Slightly different story. I was mtb in the Forest of Dean and found a nice area to sit and recover. I put down my rucksack containing my phone and Sony RX100. Now recovered I set off and after about a mile I realised my rucksack was still where I had left it, panicking i raced back and found it all still there. (phew) I use "Strava to record my rides and the segment back to the seating area was a personal best. win win.

Glad all worked out well for you Gramps.

You gotta be out at first light round here if you want anything without tourists. Especially the areas you’ve just mentioned.

I’m assuming you’re not just a 10 minute walk like myself from there though :D
Thanks James, yes I'm about 90 mins away but I will be back. :)
There is obviously a potential of drawing dust in with a fixed lens popping in and out but I’ve had both the Ricoh GRD & GR and never seen it. Like all faults you only hear from people who have them not from people who don’t. Back when the GRD was current and people complained of dust I remember doing a web search and finding there were vastly more complaints about Canons and dust — I presume because there were more of them sold.
Of course mine is only about a year old so maybe had some design improvement, or maybe I'm just fortunate. :)
Slightly different story. I was mtb in the Forest of Dean and found a nice area to sit and recover. I put down my rucksack containing my phone and Sony RX100. Now recovered I set off and after about a mile I realised my rucksack was still where I had left it, panicking i raced back and found it all still there. (phew) I use "Strava to record my rides and the segment back to the seating area was a personal best. win win.
Makes me glad to know that I'm not alone! :)

Well Airtag arrived and got it connected, though had a job finding it until I selected 'Items' in 'Find my...'.
Hope I don't need it in the future, but it's there if I do have another momentary lapse! :oops: :$

Good grief. Glad you got it back, I know exactly how you must have felt and your story fills me with dread as it brings back memories of doing a similar thing....

Was in NYC with my partner and whilst there I had arranged to do a couples shoot...like an engagement type. We were busy taking photos in Central Park and moved on from one location to the next and after a few minutes I realised I'd left my camera bag on a park bench.....with quite an expensive lens I'd rented from Fuji for the trip (GF 23mm) and a 35mm point and shoot.
Client and I ran back to the bench all the while thinking how it was surely gone and I would lose my deposit (over a £1000) as well as my own camera, to find it in exactly the same place.

Still get the feeling of dread when I talk about that. Ha.

Good grief. Glad you got it back, I know exactly how you must have felt and your story fills me with dread as it brings back memories of doing a similar thing....

Was in NYC with my partner and whilst there I had arranged to do a couples shoot...like an engagement type. We were busy taking photos in Central Park and moved on from one location to the next and after a few minutes I realised I'd left my camera bag on a park bench.....with quite an expensive lens I'd rented from Fuji for the trip (GF 23mm) and a 35mm point and shoot.
Client and I ran back to the bench all the while thinking how it was surely gone and I would lose my deposit (over a £1000) as well as my own camera, to find it in exactly the same place.

Still get the feeling of dread when I talk about that. Ha.
Glad you had a good result too. :)

Back