Nec photography show 2019

There were Adobe talks outside the main hall in the editing suite but it wasn’t anything like the adobe theatre used to be like. I went to one talk in there and there was about 25-30 people there. The adobe theatre used to be rammed on nearly every talk. I think it was because it wasn’t in the main hall and you had to know it was there. There was no footfall by people finding as they walked around. Im not sure if it was the same with the behind the Lens theatre. Although that was in the main hall it was hidden away in a corner. I only went to one talk there (Will Burrard Lucas on monday) and I felt for him as he didn’t get a big crowd. In contrast the great outdoors stage was packed on every talk I went to. That was an open theatre and a lot more obsessive to see as you walked around.

I liked this year but I’ve come to the conclusion that i go for the talks. The fotospeed talks were once again the best overall talk lineup. Whilst the photography show talks are good you don’t always get a seat or a good view. I think I may give next year a miss in favour of going to more talk orientated shows. The fotospeed fotofest in September and the connected exhibition in April sound interesting. A bit more expensive for a ticket but once you factor in because parking, food costs etc it’s not that much more expensive and probably more comfortable.

You're right they were there just not in the capacity they had none of the talks they used to and was there in name only. A shame as they used to have some good guest speakers and I liked how you could book a spot.

The Fotospeed ones were good but the location was terrible, they needed a dedicated room because you could hardly hear or see anything.

I actually liked a lot of the talks on the Nikon Stand, some of the best ones were there this year imo.

The Fotospeed ones were good but the location was terrible, they needed a dedicated room because you could hardly hear or see anything.
That’s the only problem with their talks that there isn’t the room as they only have a small stand, and the manfrotto stage was far too loud. At times manfrotto were using their speakers as a PA system to drum up a crowd for their up coming talks. It was really annoying when you couldnt hear what was being said during the fotospeed talks because they were far too loud. I’ve said for a while that some of the smaller companies need a community stage to share. Would make it better and I’m sure the smaller companies could put on a great line up between them.

Definitely thinking of going to fotofest as if it’s the fotospeed talk lineups but with more comfort that would be excellent.

Not impressed how some of the stands had a demo or talk and it blocked the gangways.
Think they need to allocate space a bit differently, not exactly a small place.

Also for a time of austerity there is still a fair bit of cash about.
Would be interesting to see the demographic breakdown?
Looked to me like it was the older generation weighing in the most, not surprised though.
Could be because I went on the Monday when us retirees are more likely to attend.
Don't think my 25 quid book will affect the figures very much

Last edited:
Went on Monday afternoon and Tuesday. Enjoyed it, but a lot of stands/stall/talks about stuff that I'm not interested in (video, printing/photobooks etc). As ever, enjoyed the demos on the Pixapro stand from Gavin Hoey, Glenn Norwood and Tommy Reynolds.

The Photoshoot magazine stand did some very good special effects make up on the two days that I was there.

Here's a "nun" from Monday...
Sony A73 with Sony 85mm f1.8

Demented Nun by CFC Photo, on Flickr

Loved the show, but no Viewfinder Photography and very sadly, first time I can remember them missing - there was no Bessel this year.
I did see they were doing show discounts on thier website though https://www.bessel.co.uk

I hope this does not mean smaller companies are being pushed or priced out of attending the show.

I hope this does not mean smaller companies are being pushed or priced out of attending the show.

If it`s anything to go by the Motorcycle show, they`re being priced out. They charge a fortune for our stand, and all the big boys go pretty much free.

In my industry the biggest stands get a 20% discount if you negotiate rather than free.....we have seen a massive increase over the last decade in “tyre kickers” that spend ages looking at stock, asking questions, then don’t buy that made shows ineffective for us...especially if it’s a lot of lower price point kit you are selling.

Back