Nec photography show 2019

Too much missing this year compared to previous years. The extra video stuff was good but that removed a lot of previous years photo stuff which I felt was a poor move.

Far too many people selling print services and not much else.

Still a good show and if it was my first I'd be blown away but judging against previous years left me with disappointment unfortunately.

I did however get a new tripod, monopod, monopod stand thing and a sub to a mag so it wasn't all loss.

Spotted at the show today:
(1) Bloke with a gripped Nikon and a Sigma 150-600mm
(2) Bloke with a Novoflex 400mm, the one with a pistol grip

Because that's obviously the kind of gear you need to take pictures at a crowded indoor event, right?

just got back total purchases one monopod , and one tabletop tripod ..couple of bits I had on my list were not available but I have the internet so no worry .. I found as usual a lot of stuff extremely overpriced but with a few genuine deals , its also good to see the Chinese manufacturers having stands ,quite impressed with k&f concepts plus there prices ,sirui also had a good display .. had my g80 cleaned .sensor clean plus lens and camera updates all f.o.c by Panasonic themselves

Too much missing this year compared to previous years. The extra video stuff was good but that removed a lot of previous years photo stuff which I felt was a poor move.

Still a good show and if it was my first I'd be blown away but judging against previous years left me with disappointment unfortunately.

I did however get a new tripod, monopod, monopod stand thing and a sub to a mag so it wasn't all loss.

Monopod stand?

Because that's obviously the kind of gear you need to take pictures at a crowded indoor event, right?

wandering round i came across this and thought to my self the perfect tool for them close up portraits :giggle:
to be honest i'm not even sure if it's a lens or not looks like it might be some sort of scope

PTeqfRv.jpg

Can not wait for next year

I didn`t bother to even take my camera out of the bag. Was thinking of getting the sensor cleaned at Fuji stand, but it was pretty rammed.
Got some really nice "rock" sweets from your stand though, Stewart, thank you. (y)

I have returned with 2 boxes of paper (decided against trying Canson's Baryta Prestige) and a VC Meter II. Fotospeed are doing a BOGO-halfprice which would have been tempting if there were 2 boxes I wanted. Ilford and Canson not really doing anything special dealwise - a few quid off their RRPs but that's about it. Olmec/Innova had no gloss canvas and Hahnemuhle had no photo metallic which was sad. I got plenty of swatches though :)

Highlights for me were the amount of stands and people there interested in physical presentation of images (paper, books, frames etc). Really liked the Plastic Sandwich folios and was very impressed by the Artibo stand (and their whacking huge what looked like A2 book). Camera wise, I had a go with a GFX and was surprised to discover I didn't like it that much. That's saved me an expensive creditcard-impulse-mistake at some point in the future.

I didn`t bother to even take my camera out of the bag. Was thinking of getting the sensor cleaned at Fuji stand, but it was pretty rammed.
Got some really nice "rock" sweets from your stand though, Stewart, thank you. (y)

Glad I read this was thinking of taking mine just to make use of the free clean that will save me carrying it about.

Glad I read this was thinking of taking mine just to make use of the free clean that will save me carrying it about.

Just as easy to do it yourself mate :)

Well, pleased to say that I got round on my crutches and enjoyed it; saw 3 talks to give my knee a break - Tesni Ward, Andy Rouse and Jay Dickman. All interesting and different. Bought a couple of gadge bags at Snapperstuff - some good deals on there; paper from Fotospeed - an SD card from Cameraworld [although he was a bit pushy] some pre cut mounts, backs and boards {Frith} a couple of filters from LCE and traded in my 35mm 1.4i there too. I have to wait for that one as they had sold out with the double cashback. I was going to go back on Tuesday but think that might mean random spending! O and saw that funny wee printer that is phone size using zinc paper from Canon. The printer isn't horrendously expensive but the tiny pieces of paper are! Roll on next year :)

Well, pleased to say that I got round on my crutches and enjoyed it; saw 3 talks to give my knee a break - Tesni Ward, Andy Rouse and Jay Dickman. All interesting and different. Bought a couple of gadge bags at Snapperstuff - some good deals on there; paper from Fotospeed - an SD card from Cameraworld [although he was a bit pushy] some pre cut mounts, backs and boards {Frith} a couple of filters from LCE and traded in my 35mm 1.4i there too. I have to wait for that one as they had sold out with the double cashback. I was going to go back on Tuesday but think that might mean random spending! O and saw that funny wee printer that is phone size using zinc paper from Canon. The printer isn't horrendously expensive but the tiny pieces of paper are! Roll on next year :)
I was planning on going tomorrow to take advantage of the Canon double cash back. Will they still honour the purchases? I know they did a few years back when I purchased from them.

wandering round i came across this and thought to my self the perfect tool for them close up portraits :giggle:
to be honest i'm not even sure if it's a lens or not looks like it might be some sort of scope

PTeqfRv.jpg
I think it is a lens. That definitely looks like a standard lens cap at the rear of it. I think it's another of the Novoflex (or similar) pistol grip lenses, but I'm not 100% sure exactly which one.

Before opening I was standing next to a guy with what looked like a 150-600 lens with DSLR on a rifle type mount. It was huge and even had a series of small pouches on the butt end. Im not sure what it was going to be used for? Guessing he just walked past ‘security’ without them even thinking anything of it!

Just got back from it, long day but enjoyable. Bought a completely different bag to the ones I'd been looking at, some filter adapters for a good price and an Ultimate Lens Hood. Also drank what may be the most disgusting drink I've ever encountered, which was included in the Practical Photography goody bag!

Pretty much sums up my day today.

I had several things on my list.

Info on drones and training/insurance - got!

A good quality rain cover for my D850 and 24-70mm. Found ONE - but luckily it looks very good - it's by ThinkTank.

I was interested in buying a decent radio trigger set. Hoping to compare Godox to Pocket Wizard etc. I couldn't find any at all.

I wanted to look at speedlight modifiers - specifically a nice snoot. Drew a blank.

Pretty much sums up my day today.

I had several things on my list.

Info on drones and training/insurance - got!

A good quality rain cover for my D850 and 24-70mm. Found ONE - but luckily it looks very good - it's by ThinkTank.

I was interested in buying a decent radio trigger set. Hoping to compare Godox to Pocket Wizard etc. I couldn't find any at all.

I wanted to look at speedlight modifiers - specifically a nice snoot. Drew a blank.

Rogue flashbender ?

I bought a book and got a discount on the Photobook I picked out.
Very busy, but good selection of exhibitors and thought it was an enjoyable day out.

Just got back too, was stuck with an annoying headache for most of the show (I'm going to blame the Lee stand for being far too brightly lit, felt like I was starting into an LED panel).

Didn't manage to bump into anyone I know, did manage to order some bits I'd been after but the show savings were wiped out by having to pay for shipping as they had none in stock (AD400 adapter, AD200 round head accessory kit) so I may as well not waited for TPS.

Was surprised to finally see Godox there (I'm assuming it was actually Photomart?), they were a bit tucked away and only seemed to have heads with them but I guess that's why Essential had marked down a few of their prices at the show. I did manage to snag a couple of really nice deals from Acebil, they're clearing out their old stock so they've got some bargain prices on filters/bags etc.

No Viewfinder Photography this year which surprised me.

If I'm not going to any talks I really must remember to book an earlier train back.

Before opening I was standing next to a guy with what looked like a 150-600 lens with DSLR on a rifle type mount. It was huge and even had a series of small pouches on the butt end. Im not sure what it was going to be used for? Guessing he just walked past ‘security’ without them even thinking anything of it!
I spotted that too. I was sorely tempted to ask him about it.

I'm going to blame the Lee stand for being far too brightly lit, felt like I was starting into an LED panel.

did manage to order some bits I'd been after but the show savings were wiped out by having to pay for shipping as they had none in stock (AD400 adapter, AD200 round head accessory kit) so I may as well not waited for TPS.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Lee had harnessed the light of a thousand suns for their stand! Had a couple of bits I kind of wanted to ask them, but had to leave after waiting around for a while for someone to be free because the light was bothering me.

Did you ask if they'd knock the shipping off because they'd run out? Cameraworld had run out of the bag I wanted, but I paid show offer price for it to be delivered.

Did you ask if they'd knock the shipping off because they'd run out? Cameraworld had run out of the bag I wanted, but I paid show offer price for it to be delivered.

No, my head was killing me so I wanted to just be away from there (the Essential stand is always mobbed). I might contact them and see what they say though.

Some strange stalls there for a photo show, one bloke selling fudge and one what I think was the Cats protection league.
Another one selling insoles, tried them, but felt horrible, saw another stand with a massage type thing going on.
Lots of custom leather straps or maybe they were dog leads and umpteen wedding album companies.

Yes some odd stalls - arctic cabins? I had a free massage a year or two ago :)

I arrived too late to get my sensor cleaned for free, but managed to trade in my camera for a new one. I'd planned on getting a couple of quotes but there was so much queuing and the price was so good that I went ahead. With Mr. Bebop in tow I wasn't able to go to any of the talks or hang around too long.

Last edited:
Yes some odd stalls - arctic cabins? I had a free massage a year or two ago :)

I arrived too late to get my sensor cleaned for free, but managed to trade in my camera for a new one. I'd planned on getting a couple of quotes but there was so much queuing and the price was good that I went ahead. With Mr. Bebop in tow I wasn't able to go to any of the talks or hang around too long.
If it's the same one I had a couple of years ago, I nearly bought a massager at the show in 2017, only that it was quite bulky and I was travelling by train.

If it's the same one I had a couple of years ago, I nearly bought a massager at the show in 2017, only that it was quite bulky and I was travelling by train.
Yes I was impressed and they were selling them cheaper at the end of the show when I went. You can get cheaper versions on Amazon, but I think these ones were German... I might still have one on my wishlist :)

I went with my (ex) wife two years ago. Didn’t see it all.
Single this year, bumped into my mate...didn’t see it all again. He criss-crossed all over the shop .
Memo for next time...wear a disguise and headphones next time. Ignore everyone.

I was disappointed tbh. I may skip next year and go the year after.

No Tamron
No Billingham
No Pentax (wanted a play with the GRiii...my mate wanted to see the Theta(?)
Hoping for news on Profoto/Sony..nada.

I paid £11.70 for fish and chips.

Found out last second Jason Lanier was doing a walk about...not for £212 though I’m afraid.

Thought I was going home empty handed until I found a stall selling mounts. I got a great deal on some....no card payments!!! I came home empty handed.

I discovered I fell in love with the Sony 24mm and Sony 135mm lenses though.

All in all, not a great day for me personally.

Last edited:
I went with my (ex) wife two years ago. Didn’t see it all.
Single this year, bumped into my mate...didn’t see it all again. He criss-crossed all over the shop .
Memo for next time...wear a disguise and headphones next time. Ignore everyone.

I was disappointed tbh. I may skip next year and go the year after.

No Tamron
No Billingham
No Pentax (wanted a play with the GRiii...my mate wanted to see the Theta(?)
Hoping for news on Profoto/Sony..nada.

I paid £11.70 for fish and chips.

Found out last second Jason Lanier was doing a walk about...not for £212 though I’m afraid.

Thought I was going home empty handed until I found a stall selling mounts. I got a great deal on some....no card payments!!! I came home empty handed.

I discovered I fell in love with the Sony 24mm and Sony 135mm lenses though.

Al in all, not a great day for me personally.

Ditto about the Ricoh GRIII would have been to see it there.

Monopod stand?
Yea, anleg on a tripod can be unscrewed and the mounting plate fixed to the top for the ball head. On the bottom, the rubber foot comes off, the spike comes out and then a very small three legged tripod fits to the bottom on a mini ball head giving you a monopod that stands by it's self. It's a superb bit that I was very pleased to find!

I didn't think the show was as good this year, missed not having Adobe there.

I still managed to pass 2 days but it was the first time I left early.

Utterly ridiculous equipment to cart around at that event. I felt slightly ashamed at taking the fuji Xt3 and 23mm!

Saw some people with rolling cases and bloke in front of me on the way in had an old dears shopping trolley.
Bumping into everything, who brings that sort of thing to a crowded exhibition, not like they had a veg stall there.

I didn't think the show was as good this year, missed not having Adobe there.

I still managed to pass 2 days but it was the first time I left early.
I am sure that I sure that the Adobe people were in a smaller space outside the hall.

I also saw some people with very long lenses... and some of them were from the Nikon stand. I wondered if they were just transporting them there for people to test?

I am sure that I sure that the Adobe people were in a smaller space outside the hall.
There were Adobe talks outside the main hall in the editing suite but it wasn’t anything like the adobe theatre used to be like. I went to one talk in there and there was about 25-30 people there. The adobe theatre used to be rammed on nearly every talk. I think it was because it wasn’t in the main hall and you had to know it was there. There was no footfall by people finding as they walked around. Im not sure if it was the same with the behind the Lens theatre. Although that was in the main hall it was hidden away in a corner. I only went to one talk there (Will Burrard Lucas on monday) and I felt for him as he didn’t get a big crowd. In contrast the great outdoors stage was packed on every talk I went to. That was an open theatre and a lot more obsessive to see as you walked around.

I liked this year but I’ve come to the conclusion that i go for the talks. The fotospeed talks were once again the best overall talk lineup. Whilst the photography show talks are good you don’t always get a seat or a good view. I think I may give next year a miss in favour of going to more talk orientated shows. The fotospeed fotofest in September and the connected exhibition in April sound interesting. A bit more expensive for a ticket but once you factor in because parking, food costs etc it’s not that much more expensive and probably more comfortable.

I drove down from north west of Scotland, 9 hour drive 3 nights in the Raddison Blu in Birmingham, thoroughly enjoyed it, I went for 3 days the last time, but only two this year and it was nowhere near enough, especially the fact I took the mrs with me, by the time she was ready in the mornings it was already lunchtime :LOL:

Wanted to spend time on the Sony stand and especially with the A7RIII, after a long wait of people jumping in front I got a good half hour chatting at the end of the show about it, really enjoyed playing with it and the 85MM 1.4 G master lens.

Played with some of the big canon lenses, bamboozled some of the staff asking why the focus points were different between a couple of the 1DXII's and that Ive never seen the way they were set up before, took 3 canon reps to figure out it was because it was the 800mm lens doing that, still not sure why though.

I took my own 1DXII in to get a sensor clean and then got to put the 400mm 2.8 III on it and have a good play with that, man oh man what a lens.
All in all, I missed a few things I wanted to see, having the mrs there held me back a bit with her not wanting to sit and listen to talks, but I caught Jason Lanier twice and really enjoyed his talks, fancied his photowalk but just read here it was £200 to go :jawdrop:

Lee filters was one stand I wanted to speak to people at but even a pair of big stoppers as glasses wouldn't have kept the light from their stand off my eyeballs. And it was far too crowded and the new filter system seems a bit naff and a hell of a price for some plastic holder.

Ill be there next year for longer to catch more talks, only one I was gutted to miss was at Nikon, Amy Shore, I really love her photography.

Back